Big contracts Small performance

adam

It is amazing the money the Bears have shelled out for what has been considered a complete lack of effort and discipline with regression and disappointment throughout the roster.

Check out the top 10 contracts (in terms of overall value):

1. Mack (141M), the highest paid defensive player in football, gets his huge contract and has been a huge disappointment this year for the money. He had no stats against the Rams. Not a single hurry, pressure, tackle, etc. That is hard to do.
2. Fuller (56M), the 2nd highest salary on the team, a complete regression from last year. He is actually losing us games. The one thing he still is good at is dropping easy interceptions.
3. Whitehair (51M), the 3rd largest contract on the team. I don't see him mauling DLinemen or doing much out of the ordinary to be worth this contract. However, he is at least playing average, but well below this value.
4. Hicks (48M), deserves the money, but is on IR, so we are getting zero production from his contract.
5. Goldman (42M), signs a big extension and turns into a ghost. Everyone was touting him as a Pro Bowler and he is barely noticeable on the field.
6. Robinson (42M), he is probably the only offensive player earning his pay. However, he needs to be the leader and clean up that WR room.
7. Leno (37M), what a waste of money. Lazy player who had one good year and got paid and has completely regressed to his lazy and undisciplined ways.
8. Burton (32M), yes that guy. 8th biggest contract on the team. What a waste of a roster spot and cap space.
9. Massie (30M), it's crazy to think we have 3 of our Offensive Linemen in the top 10 for contracts on the team and that is what we get for it. Massie is worth cutting at this point. I would do whatever I could to move him in the offseason for anything.
10. Trubisky (29M). It's kind of ironic that #10 is #10 here. Regardless of the team around him, he has regressed as a QB to the point where he is below replacement level and should not be a starter in this league. I am sure they will accept his 5th year option (which is only guaranteed for injury), just to push the narrative along further that they made the right selection in 2017.

51 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

And we all thought locking most all of these guys up was brilliant before the season started.

I know, it seems that it all backfired. We have a ton of dead weight we will need to get rid of in the offseason. We are going to eat some dead money, but it's necessary to clean up this mess.

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The Vikings did this a couple of years ago.  They got rid of the whole OL one season.  I don't think we do that, but I do see at least 2 new staters next year.

Yeah, two is our minimum assuming RG (Coward) is an automatic fill. Hopefully it's three. 

8 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I have been waiting for OT to be addressed for 10 plus years. Columbo, fail, Carimi fail, William's fail.  Leno made it, but he is far from average lol. 7th rounder tho. 

OT is tough, you have to double dip because most end up as guards.

It is tough, but it all starts up front. It can't be neglected, and what sucks is the Bears threw money at mediocre players. At least put some "outs" in the contracts. Massie and Leno are borderline unmovable unless they can find a trade partner for at least another year. Just watch that video of the Rams game, the entire line outside of Whitehair can't block anyone. They can't even stand in the way, they literally fall down or get pushed aside like they are 100 lbs less than the defender. It's embarrassing.  Kyle Long, even though injured, looked completely out of shape in some of the Club Dub videos. Leno has always had work ethic concerns and those have came back to haunt us. 

I feel like we need to draft one early and late, and get a UDFA, and bring in at least one decent FA. Then make it an open competition in the offseason. Also make these lazy fools play in the preseason.

2 hours ago, adam said:

It is tough, but it all starts up front. It can't be neglected, and what sucks is the Bears threw money at mediocre players. At least put some "outs" in the contracts. Massie and Leno are borderline unmovable unless they can find a trade partner for at least another year. Just watch that video of the Rams game, the entire line outside of Whitehair can't block anyone. They can't even stand in the way, they literally fall down or get pushed aside like they are 100 lbs less than the defender. It's embarrassing.  Kyle Long, even though injured, looked completely out of shape in some of the Club Dub videos. Leno has always had work ethic concerns and those have came back to haunt us. 

I feel like we need to draft one early and late, and get a UDFA, and bring in at least one decent FA. Then make it an open competition in the offseason. Also make these lazy fools play in the preseason.

I find it hard to believe the best oline coach cannot get a better performance out of the money the Bears spent. Something doesn't click, maybe it is the Bears luck or maybe there is something bigger to it. 

I understand the thinking behind paying our OTs. The idea is that OLs build consistency with time, and Hiestand is the best OL coach in the universe yada yada

I get why they did it. But it isnt working at ALL.

Talent matters. You could keep a group of 120 pound gymnasts together for five years, and they'd get a LOT of consistency. And they wouldn't be able to stop an NFL pass rush, or move anyone in the running game.

We need new players on the OL. Don't be shocked if there are 3 or 4 new starters next year. They may not all be Pro Bowlers, and it may take a few years to put together a GOOD OL, but even mid tier free agency signings should make a HUGE difference.

Also, Hiestand, here is a lifetime achievement award. At times you must have earned it to have the reputation you have. But this OL is an indictment of your current skills, and you have to go.

We are SUCH a poorly coached team. NEXT.

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

You have Bars who can step in and start next year. i think he's an immediate upgrade over Coward. 

I disagree on Fuller. His play level is done a bit but he has played better than every other DB on the team. 

Peace

Have you watched Fuller this year? He is the 6th highest paid CB in the league and is not even in the top 50 in terms of coverage ability. He was #2 last year. Talk about falling off a cliff. He is playing below replacement level, meaning you could put a league average CB in his place and the team would be better off.

Man, you guys are nailing this thread...

Weriously, could we not be getting less out of our money?  I'm not sure it's possible to get any less than we're getting.  

Everyone has taken the money, went to the Vegas buffet, and decided to just go through the motions this season.  For all of Nagy's big cheerleading prowess...holy crap is it a fail.

31 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

I understand the thinking behind paying our OTs. The idea is that OLs build consistency with time, and Hiestand is the best OL coach in the universe yada yada

I get why they did it. But it isnt working at ALL.

Talent matters. You could keep a group of 120 pound gymnasts together for five years, and they'd get a LOT of consistency. And they wouldn't be able to stop an NFL pass rush, or move anyone in the running game.

We need new players on the OL. Don't be shocked if there are 3 or 4 new starters next year. They may not all be Pro Bowlers, and it may take a few years to put together a GOOD OL, but even mid tier free agency signings should make a HUGE difference.

Also, Hiestand, here is a lifetime achievement award. At times you must have earned it to have the reputation you have. But this OL is an indictment of your current skills, and you have to go.

We are SUCH a poorly coached team. NEXT.

You don't pay for bad consistency though. That's where the Bears messed up. Massie was never good or even average, and they paid him like he was. Leno had one good year out of a lot of bad ones and got paid like he had consecutive years of success. 

Just look at it this way, in 2020, the Bears have $76M tied up in Fuller, Floyd, Leno, Burton, Massie, Gabriel, Skrine, and Patterson with $44M in dead money if they attempt to cut/release them. Floyd is the only clean out due to his contract only guaranteed for injury. The other 7 have $44M in dead money tied to them. The biggest, Massie at $10.8M in dead money. What the hell was Pace thinking with that contract? 

Man, I was way, off, edited, from 67 - 76.

6 minutes ago, adam said:

Just look at it this way, in 2020, the Bears have $67.1M tied up in Fuller, Floyd, Leno, Burton, Massie, Gabriel, Skrine, and Patterson with $44M in dead money if they attempt to cut/release them. Floyd is the only clean out due to his contract only guaranteed for injury. The other 7 have $44M in dead money tied to them. The biggest, Massie at $10.8M in dead money. What the hell was Pace thinking with that contract? 

Ugg....

6 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Ugg....

I was wrong, it's $76M with Floyd, and $63M without. Talk about a gut punch. Patterson has $1M in dead money and Gabriel has $2M, so if you take those easy ones away, Fuller, Leno, Burton, Massie, and Skrine account for $51M in cap space or $41M in dead money.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I was wrong, it's $76M with Floyd, and $63M without. Talk about a gut punch. Patterson has $1M in dead money and Gabriel has $2M, so if you take those easy ones away, Fuller, Leno, Burton, Massie, and Skrine account for $51M in cap space or $41M in dead money.

Burton is the only possible cut. The rest of the players will be here. 

Peace

6 hours ago, adam said:

You don't pay for bad consistency though. That's where the Bears messed up. Massie was never good or even average, and they paid him like he was. Leno had one good year out of a lot of bad ones and got paid like he had consecutive years of success. 

TOTALLY agree

20 hours ago, adam said:

I would honestly keep Patterson.  At 235 pounds, still the fastest guy on the team.  He plays physical too, so why not convert him to the Burton role?  If he fails at that, he's still the best special teamer we have.  Burton and Gabriel definitely have to go.  

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I would honestly keep Patterson.  At 235 pounds, still the fastest guy on the team.  He plays physical too, so why not convert him to the Burton role?  If he fails at that, he's still the best special teamer we have.  Burton and Gabriel definitely have to go.  

Not for that price. He has 20 touches for 117 yards on the season. He got 46 of it on one run. So outside of one big play, he is 19-71 on the year in 10 games. You just can't pay a guy $6M a year for that type of production. Even with the big run, that averages out to 2 touches and 10 yards per game. 

I know he is big and fast, but that's about it.