Players that can't be back next year

adam

Man, am I done with Floyd, Lynch, and Prince. Those three need to be gone next year. They are huge holes in our defense. Floyd can't do anything across Khalil Mack, which is borderline criminal for a top 10 pick. He has 3 sacks, 3 TFL, and 0 PD. He only had 4 sacks last year and only 4.5 two years ago. So in his last 38 games, Floyd has 11.5 sacks. That is not enough for the money he is expected to get, even on the 5th year option. He is not worth that much money.

Lynch is a lazy and undisciplined player. He was late on the field for a play and just stood there, and had another penalty, and now has 5 on the season. For a situational player, you can't have that many penalties preventing the defense from getting off the field. 

Prince is such a liability, he makes a couple of plays every now and then, so he has a lot of passes defended. However, that's just because he is getting more balls thrown at him. He is continually beat on every play and gets burnt a lot when targeted. The Bears have to address that position in the offseason. I am now thinking that it might get bumped up in priority in the offseason.

If they want to have a chance going to the home stretch this year they realistically need to find a way to rotate him (Amukamara) out sooner than later.  As much as I love the guy he’s been a liability ever since last season.  He’s older and slower and only getting worse.  Time to either put in Tolliver or Shelly or at the very least give him help at Safety (essentially exposing the middle of the field).  

Agree totally on Lynch . He was a pick up that I think Fangio liked from their SF days together (and before he knew he would get Mack).  But yeah, he’s overstayed his welcome.  Maybe Vic needs him in Denver.

Floyd is a big disappointment for sure. 
Mack is still seeing double and triple manning where most of Floyd’s is single man, and sometimes just a chip block from a passing TE.  But still his pressure lacks.  Like you pointed out earlier maybe the GB game is where he’ll shine again (man I hope you’re right about Hicks).  But after that it’s probably time to start looking for alternatives.  

Bubble players to keep (IMHO) are Skrine (not as good as Callahan but solid), Kwit, HHCD (yes I know he’s ‘meh’) but I can’t help think he and Jackson will at some point click in and Trevathan (at least for one more year).  This guy is a true leader and as much as I think Kwit is rising, I’d like to see a bit smoother transition.  The team owes Danny that much (again IMHO).  

55 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If they want to have a chance going to the home stretch this year they realistically need to find a way to rotate him (Amukamara) out sooner than later.  As much as I love the guy he’s been a liability ever since last season.  He’s older and slower and only getting worse.  Time to either put in Tolliver or Shelly or at the very least give him help at Safety (essentially exposing the middle of the field).  

Agree totally on Lynch . He was a pick up that I think Fangio liked from their SF days together (and before he knew he would get Mack).  But yeah, he’s overstayed his welcome.  Maybe Vic needs him in Denver.

Floyd is a big disappointment for sure. 
Mack is still seeing double and triple manning where most of Floyd’s is single man, and sometimes just a chip block from a passing TE.  But still his pressure lacks.  Like you pointed out earlier maybe the GB game is where he’ll shine again (man I hope you’re right about Hicks).  But after that it’s probably time to start looking for alternatives.  

Bubble players to keep (IMHO) are Skrine (not as good as Callahan but solid), Kwit, HHCD (yes I know he’s ‘meh’) but I can’t help think he and Jackson will at some point click in and Trevathan (at least for one more year).  This guy is a true leader and as much as I think Kwit is rising, I’d like to see a bit smoother transition.  The team owes Danny that much (again IMHO).  

Skrine has been actually played solid in one of the toughest positions on the defense. Kwit has filled in admirably, and HHCD has been better than Jackson and more consistent for the entire season. With the cap crunch hitting next year due to Mack's contract, there is just no way to pay everyone. It seems like it will come down to what the team values more (Floyd, Trevathan, or HHCD), but I only see one of them staying due to their contract expectations. My assumption is they will resign Kwit and keep HHCD. That would be the cheapest option for maintaining continuity with not too much performance drop off. I love Danny and he is a huge locker room presence, but he will be turning 30 in March, and unless he takes a huge home team discount, I doubt he is back (unfortunately). Both Kwit and HHCD are in their primes at 26. Another issue with continuity would be losing two DB's in the same offseason (Prince and HHCD). Now you have half the field to address in the secondary.

I thought this would have been the year for Floyd.  He is another that will be released, go to NE and be effective.  He might be better suited as a situational pass rusher and his 5th year contract is not worthy of those services...unless you put up double digit sacks.  Prince would have to take a big paycut to stay as well, he is on the steep downhill decline.  The Bears need youth at the position.  So how do they address these needs? They will have to live with some of these and pray they elevate their game.  

Floyd is not worthy of his draft position but he is a good player, just not the pass rusher everyone expected. I can see us resigning him to a team friendly contract. Danny will not be able to be kept due to the cap space available. We will resign Kwit to a fair contract and play him instead of Trevathan next year. Prince is gone, someone will have to step up. Because of his contract, I see us not getting rid of Burton also. We pretty well have a full cap hit, so lets just  hope he gets well enough to play. So next year we keep Jasper, Burton, Holtz and a new guy. Maybe Raymond can be good . Tolliver or Shelly will have to move up on the depth chart. We can see we need people everywhere but the draft only has so many spots. 

OL will be intact with maybe Bars being able to take over for Leno and Coward and Lucas playing well enough to improve our depth. We are stuck here because of everyone on the OL have contracts. One of our first two picks may be a OT. 

I would say Gabriel is gone and cutting Patterson would save 5.3 mil. To bad the offense has not been able to give Patterson a role, he could be very helpful overall as a gimmick. 

Daniel will not be back, and if we lose anymore, would like to see Bray brought up to see if can play. We will be bringing in completion for MT. Either Tannehill or Mariota. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Floyd is not worthy of his draft position but he is a good player, just not the pass rusher everyone expected. I can see us resigning him to a team friendly contract. Danny will not be able to be kept due to the cap space available. We will resign Kwit to a fair contract and play him instead of Trevathan next year. Prince is gone, someone will have to step up. Because of his contract, I see us not getting rid of Burton also. We pretty well have a full cap hit, so lets just  hope he gets well enough to play. So next year we keep Jasper, Burton, Holtz and a new guy. Maybe Raymond can be good . Tolliver or Shelly will have to move up on the depth chart. We can see we need people everywhere but the draft only has so many spots. 

OL will be intact with maybe Bars being able to take over for Leno and Coward and Lucas playing well enough to improve our depth. We are stuck here because of everyone on the OL have contracts. One of our first two picks may be a OT. 

I would say Gabriel is gone and cutting Patterson would save 5.3 mil. To bad the offense has not been able to give Patterson a role, he could be very helpful overall as a gimmick. 

Daniel will not be back, and if we lose anymore, would like to see Bray brought up to see if can play. We will be bringing in completion for MT. Either Tannehill or Mariota. 

In his career, Floyd (18.5) has 1 more sack than Jordan Jenkins (17.5) and 2.5 more than Kyler Fackrell (16.0). Forced Fumbles, Floyd has one. Jenkins has 5 and even Fackrell has 2. Both Jenkins and Fackrell are 3rd rounders making $2.2M a year. Floyd makes $2.6M, and that would jump to $13.2M next season. If they want to bring him back under $3M, fine, but he has done nothing to earn more than that.

The O-Line dilemma sucks. I don't know why Pace would lock up a mediocre line. All the advanced stats said they were below league average and then you reward Massie and Leno with big deals and lock them up long term. Immediately after that, they become lazy bums. 

Patterson has really shown some good ST value, I just don't know if that is enough to keep him at that price tag. Gabriel is gone. Miller has shown he can be a clear #2 and ARob needs to be locked up for a long term deal. 

I still like the idea of bringing in a vet at a reasonable salary and drafting a guy in the mid rounds unless someone falls out of the first.

21 minutes ago, adam said:

In his career, Floyd (18.5) has 1 more sack than Jordan Jenkins (17.5) and 2.5 more than Kyler Fackrell (16.0). Forced Fumbles, Floyd has one. Jenkins has 5 and even Fackrell has 2. Both Jenkins and Fackrell are 3rd rounders making $2.2M a year. Floyd makes $2.6M, and that would jump to $13.2M next season. If they want to bring him back under $3M, fine, but he has done nothing to earn more than that.

The O-Line dilemma sucks. I don't know why Pace would lock up a mediocre line. All the advanced stats said they were below league average and then you reward Massie and Leno with big deals and lock them up long term. Immediately after that, they become lazy bums. 

Patterson has really shown some good ST value, I just don't know if that is enough to keep him at that price tag. Gabriel is gone. Miller has shown he can be a clear #2 and ARob needs to be locked up for a long term deal. 

I still like the idea of bringing in a vet at a reasonable salary and drafting a guy in the mid rounds unless someone falls out of the first.

I'd pay Kwit or Danny T before Floyd. 

Lucas had a nice game yesterday and I wouldn't mind if Massie takes a seat for a couple more games.

Peace

If we resign Floyd for a team friendly contract, I am good with him being here. If you let him go, who is starting. I suspect Lynch isnt here anymore. None of the young players are ready for prime time. A rookie in the 2nd or 4th round? We would have to be real lucky to get a starter there.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

If we resign Floyd for a team friendly contract, I am good with him being here. If you let him go, who is starting. I suspect Lynch isnt here anymore. None of the young players are ready for prime time. A rookie in the 2nd or 4th round? We would have to be real lucky to get a starter there.

This is my take on it.  Floyd is a really good 1st and 2nd down player and we have nobody else anywhere close to being as good as he is.  He just can't bring the consistent pass rush.   Give him a short extension, perhaps 3 years, that dramatically lowers his cap hit.  His market value based solely on pass rush won't be high.  3 years still keeps him in his prime should he finally figure out the pass rush issues and he can cash in with Chicago or elsewhere.    

Aaron Lynch is horrible and I won't be surprised if, once we are out of the playoff hunt, we move him to IR and give a young player a shot.  That practice squad player is likely not on our roster. Pace has done this before to try to bring someone into the clubhouse so he has a better shot  keeping them in the offseason to see how they develop.   

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Floyd is making either $15M next year or is being cut. They picked up his 5th year option. 

He is definitely worth a lot less, and the Bears will offer a severely renegotiated offer. Given the mystique this defense has, and just the value of the position, someone may want to over pay him. If his agent is smart at all, he will not re-sign a lower deal without testing the market first. I think Pace has to consider that he will be gone in his plans. And once you go there, therer will be other options just as good at the same price, so I think he is gone.

There are 86 players in the league with more sacks than Floyd going into the Sunday games. There are 32 teams, so he would be 3rd-4th in sacks on most teams in the league. How much is 3rd-4th in sacks on a team as an Edge player worth? What if that guy is across from a player that is constantly double and triple-teamed? 

The Bears either have to take him for $13M+ with the 5th year option or release him. They can then renegotiate, but I can't see him playing for anything less than $7-8M a year and that will be too rich for the Bears blood. With Mack signed long term, they need to get younger on the Edge. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

There are 86 players in the league with more sacks than Floyd going into the Sunday games. There are 32 teams, so he would be 3rd-4th in sacks on most teams in the league. How much is 3rd-4th in sacks on a team as an Edge player worth? What if that guy is across from a player that is constantly double and triple-teamed? 

The Bears either have to take him for $13M+ with the 5th year option or release him. They can then renegotiate, but I can't see him playing for anything less than $7-8M a year and that will be too rich for the Bears blood. With Mack signed long term, they need to get younger on the Edge. 

They should be able to find one with a round 2 pick you would think.  No need to get cute and trade up.   Take solid players from good programs and if someone offers future picks to trade down, do it.  

15 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

They should be able to find one with a round 2 pick you would think.  No need to get cute and trade up.   Take solid players from good programs and if someone offers future picks to trade down, do it.  

we need our 2nd rounders for QB and OL

9 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

we need our 2nd rounders for QB and OL

Possibly, but I have a hunch OLB/TE/CB will end up the picks.  Trubisky will be here next year and he will be starting at the beginning, I do think they grab one this draft. They might want a G to replace Long unless they think that person is already on the team (Cowherd/Barr).   Massie and Lenos contracts are not going away, I doubt they invest high unless a can't miss talent is there.  At OLB, they will have Mack.  Floyd will more than likely get released as well as Lynch.  I think one 2nd rounder has to go to OLB and they will also sign a vet (someone with Pagano connections?). The other 2nd rounder is the wildcard with trade down, QB, OL, CB, TE.  CB and TE will have bigger holes with Prince, Burton, and Shaheen most likely all gone.  If Burton cannot be cut, they cannot count on him. 

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Possibly, but I have a hunch OLB/TE/CB will end up the picks. 

Looking at last year's playoff, we said Burton's position was key.  We've noticed this year that pass rush is the key to our defense.  Lastly, we know we will be thin at DB.  So, you may be right.  A run blocking OL is an absolute must so please factor that in highly.

13 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Looking at last year's playoff, we said Burton's position was key.  We've noticed this year that pass rush is the key to our defense.  Lastly, we know we will be thin at DB.  So, you may be right.  A run blocking OL is an absolute must so please factor that in highly.

yes. we need a lot of changes on the OL, no matter what our current OTs are being paid, they simply cant play. We have to replace them. and add a road grading guard, becausea converted DL is not gonna make it. I think Daniel and Whitehair are the only ones who will keep their jobs, and even they arent 100% safe.

9 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

yes. we need a lot of changes on the OL, no matter what our current OTs are being paid, they simply cant play. We have to replace them. and add a road grading guard, becausea converted DL is not gonna make it. I think Daniel and Whitehair are the only ones who will keep their jobs, and even they arent 100% safe.

I think Massie could get replaced, Leno will not be.  Leno has been pretty good protecting MT, penalties are another story.  ESPN has him ranked 4th among OTs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard%3fplatform=amp

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Massie could get replaced, Leno will not be.  Leno has been pretty good protecting MT, penalties are another story.  ESPN has him ranked 4th among OTs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard%3fplatform=amp

that article also says the Bears have the 8th best pass blocking OL in the league.

No freakin way. All you have to do is watch some. They are atrocious.

I think we add a OT this off season but we are more likely to make changes from our current roster. Bars and Lucas would be up next. We are not getting rid of Massie and Leno because of cap space so I doubt we add a FA, it would just be a high draft pick. Coward has been up and down, but has the potential to keep the RG spot. It may be that we draft a replacement at RG if he grades out bad the rest of the year.

Because of his contract Burton will be back here. Injuries have blocked his usefulness. Hopefully he can come back healthy next year. If he has a year like his first year that would be a good thing. We will still add a player here . Jasper may work his way in as a starter next year.

Floyd can be offered a contract that absorbs his fifth year money. He is a good player just not a pass rusher so his money has to be team friendly. Lets say we let him go, then who? A second round draftee? Can we count on that.