Is Nagy Improving?

AZ54

I've been hard on our HC this year and think he's been a big part of the problem with our offense.  I just watched his press conference and I'm going to give him some credit for turning it around.  One of my criticisms weeks ago was that after Montgomery fumbled he never gave him the ball again in that game.  Last night, after Monty's fumble and we were setting up for our next offensive series I told my son if Nagy has learned anything he'll give Montgomery the ball on this play.   Lo and behold he did just that and Monty gained 5 yards off LT.  Around the 18min mark he is asked about the fumble and his response is one of trust in his young RB.  He even mentions the fact he just gave him the ball again on the very next play.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/nagy-we-re-mentally-callused-right-now

We saw it on the field too when Trubisky threw an incomplete pass to Wims in the endzone.   some have argued there was PI there.  Anyway, after the play Tru gave Wims a thumbs up, and threw it right to him again on the next play.  It was incomplete and Wims was injured on the play.  That might be the first time I've seen Trubisky express that kind of confidence in a player not named Allen Robinson.  I think he made good reads on both plays choosing to go at the WR who was 1on1 with a LB.  

All of this just tells me guys are starting to play for each other and they're not pointing fingers when something goes wrong.    

You know I've been one of the biggest Nagy detractors on this site this year.

But I agree, he is changing. I could make the point that he has been stubborn and slow to change, and defend my position, but nontheless, I have to agree, he does seem to be making changes that need to be made.

Hicks is back this week. Let's see if they can keep rolling.

Stinger, I believe he has. The question that comes up is why did he wait so long? Everyone could see in the first few games that his plays were not fooling anyone other than his own team. He still tries to get a gadget play in from time to time, and it still doesn't work, but at least those are few and far between now. The Wildcat formation with Patterson at QB where Leno misses the block and Patterson takes a 4 yard loss is a prime example. Just take that crap out of the playbook. Also, stop being cute when you need a yard. Put a jumbo package in there and push for 3 feet.

I do think he has slowly adapted the playbook to highlight Mitch's strengths and I also think it's due to the personnel. We have had no TE production, and with Gabriel out, he had to highlight Miller more and look to get the new TE's into the action. Magically all that worked. 

Now if you are GB, you have no clue what to do defend against. I assume they will make Mitch beat them over the top, so our receivers will have to win someone on one matchups, which they have shown they can.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If they execute the blocking on that play, that was 6.  Nagy flipped out after they blew that one.  

It wouldn't have been a loss but I don't know if it was going to the house. I would rather have Patterson on the move presnap as very few people are keeping up with him from a stand still. 

Whatever they changed, I like it.  I like the swagger this team shows when they are playing well. I wish they had this when the team was 100% healthy.  Their backs are against the wall now, at least they will have some momentum going into next year of they continue playing well. 

Then we get to year 3 of Nagys offense installments and choreography with synchronized dance moves are implemented. The Bears will become the greatest show on turf, over taking the Rams. 

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Whatever they changed, I like it.  I like the swagger this team shows when they are playing well. I wish they had this when the team was 100% healthy.  Their backs are against the wall now, at least they will have some momentum going into next year of they continue playing well. 

Then we get to year 3 of Nagys offense installments and choreography with synchronized dance moves are implemented. The Bears will become the greatest show on turf, over taking the Rams. 

Going into this offseason this young team will know not to take anything for granted.  I think there will be a much better focus on the details of what needs to be done from the coaches all the way down.  

I think with the success of last year, Nagy figured to move forward with his offense but MT playing poor, the Oline problems, it fell apart and he couldnt get out of his own way. I think he is learning just like his players and is putting them in better position to succeed. It would be nice if we won out and made the playoffs but with a 5% chance, not likely but at least come together as a team and play better which bodes well for next year.