Robinson = wants to be ‘Bear for life’

Alaskan Grizzly

Saw on the Chicago Bears website Robinson was the team’s selection to be a finalist of the Walter Payton - Man of the Year award.   And he desires to remain in Chicago for the remainder of his career.  Seems logical to me... I look forward to him being yet another Bear inducted into the Hall of Fame.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/12/10/21004628/allen-robinson-chicago-bears-all-time-franchise-johnny-morris-walter-payton-nagy-ryan-pace-contract

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw on the Chicago Bears website Robinson was the team’s selection to be a finalist of the Walter Payton - Man of the Year award.   And he desires to remain in Chicago for the remainder of his career.  Seems logical to me... I look forward to him being yet another Bear inducted into the Hall of Fame.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/12/10/21004628/allen-robinson-chicago-bears-all-time-franchise-johnny-morris-walter-payton-nagy-ryan-pace-contract

I'd have no problem extending him with a reasonable contract (similar to what he has now). 

Peace

1 hour ago, adam said:

He is a true #1 WR and is only getting better. He is still fairly young, so there is no reason not to lock him up and not have to worry about that position for the next 5-6 years.

I'm happier with him vs. Alshon.  Stats are similar but I still think ARob is a better fit in the locker room.  We absolutely should extend him for 4 years.  First off he's the right type of player you want to extend.  Second we can structure the contract so we lower his 2020 cap hit from $15mil (currently) to as low as we want.  Let's just say we take his cap hit from $15mil to $5mil.  That alone gets the  team from around $13mil to $23mil.  

I'm also one of the few who wants to extend Leonard Floyd for 3 years.   His versatility is still an important part of our defense.  If he develops into the pass rusher we expected he'll still be young enough to get his really big contract.   We can do the same on the contract structure so we open up another $5-10mil for 2020.   Call it $30mil in cap space.    

Kyle Long is getting cut which frees up $8mil now you have $38mil.  

Prince is another candidate to be cut.  I still like him but reality is at 31 years old in 2020 he's not likely to be more durable.  Tolliver looks ready to take over the spot.  Add another $8mil now we have $46mil.  

Gabriel's concussion issues concern me.  I like him and he's a consistent part of the offense when he's available but one more concussion  and he could done (if he's not now).  We have WRs waiting in the wings (Wims/Ridley) who have already shown similar production in games.  Cutting him saves $4.5mil now we have $50.5mil.  

I see zero reason we can't extend Robinson's contract and free up this cap space.  With that we can look at doing a 2 year deal with Trevathan (should be modest) and keep Kwit.  Eddie Jackson also deserves a contract extension.  It won't be as high as it was looking like last year but it will still be a big deal.   

Even with that Pace can still be a player in the FA market to bolster depth at OLB, TE, OT, WR.    

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Even with that Pace can still be a player in the FA market to bolster depth at OLB, TE, OT, WR. 

If we have space to buy, my vote is to retain Patterson.  I like the energy he brings and feel that there is even more to him than we are tapping.  His combination of size, speed and power is crazy.

26 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm happier with him vs. Alshon.  Stats are similar but I still think ARob is a better fit in the locker room.  We absolutely should extend him for 4 years.  First off he's the right type of player you want to extend.  Second we can structure the contract so we lower his 2020 cap hit from $15mil (currently) to as low as we want.  Let's just say we take his cap hit from $15mil to $5mil.  That alone gets the  team from around $13mil to $23mil.  

I'm also one of the few who wants to extend Leonard Floyd for 3 years.   His versatility is still an important part of our defense.  If he develops into the pass rusher we expected he'll still be young enough to get his really big contract.   We can do the same on the contract structure so we open up another $5-10mil for 2020.   Call it $30mil in cap space.    

Kyle Long is getting cut which frees up $8mil now you have $38mil.  

Prince is another candidate to be cut.  I still like him but reality is at 31 years old in 2020 he's not likely to be more durable.  Tolliver looks ready to take over the spot.  Add another $8mil now we have $46mil.  

Gabriel's concussion issues concern me.  I like him and he's a consistent part of the offense when he's available but one more concussion  and he could done (if he's not now).  We have WRs waiting in the wings (Wims/Ridley) who have already shown similar production in games.  Cutting him saves $4.5mil now we have $50.5mil.  

I see zero reason we can't extend Robinson's contract and free up this cap space.  With that we can look at doing a 2 year deal with Trevathan (should be modest) and keep Kwit.  Eddie Jackson also deserves a contract extension.  It won't be as high as it was looking like last year but it will still be a big deal.   

right on.

And we may have young players in the wings ready to step up too. Like Bars...

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

If we have space to buy, my vote is to retain Patterson.  I like the energy he brings and feel that there is even more to him than we are tapping.  His combination of size, speed and power is crazy.

I was against the signing thinking we paid too much for him.  After watching him all season he's a flat out stud on special teams both as a returner and cover guy.  Nobody can stop him from getting downfield first on punt coverage.  We pay tens of millions of dollars for a defense to stop an opponent from gaining 10 yards.  Patterson can do that on each punt by preventing a return.  On top of that he occasionally offers enough of a spark on offense to give us a big play.  I don't think we've been able to truly utilize him mainly because our TEs have been so weak in the passing game.   As a LB, if you see Shaheen coming at you are you worried that he'll go out on a route and catch a pass behind you?   Or do you just assume he's blocking for Patterson who was coming behind the LOS on a possible jet sweep play?  I'd just go after the player most likely to get the ball.  Missing Patterson could mean giving up a big play.  Missing Shaheen might mean giving up 10 yds... at most.  

53 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Miller has some growing up to do and have better route discipline before I'd re-sign him.  

Miller has 2 more years on his rookie contract. No need to do anything until after next season. I'd redo Robinson's deal in the offseason.

Peace