Nagy's Run Game

AZ54

One former Cyclone (Rosenfels) trying to help another (Montgomery).  

https://twitter.com/i/status/1206968490567098368

If Nagy is serious about his "self scouting" then he'll realize he needs help in the running game.  It could be the passing game is just his forte and that's fine but don't surround yourself with other passing game coaches (Helfrich).  I see these two in Nagy's office over the summer scheming up new passing plays.  Then the season comes along and they just call the same old running plays to mix in on occasion so they can say.. I called a running play now let's get back to passing.  

I dunno if Nagy's running scheme is good or not.

WHat I do know is this OL is completely unable to block it, and anytime he pulls an offensive lineman it fails. All season long.

I can say definitively that Nagy is not changing his scheme to fit his players. he ran a few plays out of I formation a few weeks back just as a sort of "see?!" and they WORKED.

It may be that Nagy is a running genius, and our OL sucks. But he sure isn't modifying any, and Im not sure it would work with good players either. I'd need to SEE that.

I think Nagy is a huge problem. Time will tell.

Next year will be huge for Nagy and it will tell us all we need to know.  He screwed up this year and knowingly admitted it.  Once he got booed off the field in the Chargers game, things changed for Trubisky.  That shows Nagy can adapt.  Next year will be to overcome!  If he can not develop a run game, then he must go.  Trubisky cannot survive without being able to play action.  He simply does not have the weapons that Mahommes has.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Next year will be huge for Nagy and it will tell us all we need to know.  He screwed up this year and knowingly admitted it.  Once he got booed off the field in the Chargers game, things changed for Trubisky.  That shows Nagy can adapt.  Next year will be to overcome!  If he can not develop a run game, then he must go.  Trubisky cannot survive without being able to play action.  He simply does not have the weapons that Mahommes has.

Agreed. Nagy has next year to fix this. In his favor, they have an easy 3rd place schedule and, if things go right, should win at least 10 to 12 games. But they have to run the ball to take the pressure off of Mitch. 

Peace

I've watched the highlight above, read numerous threads about Oline play, and watched Dr. Phil's The Tape Never Lies and it's clear the Oline is in serious need of fixing.  That's been clear all season Long (pun intended).  On the play Rosenfels highlighted it's seems to me one of the two Olinemen on a double team are supposed to come off that initial block and get to the ILB Martinez.   That's either Daniels (most likely IMO) or Leno.   These guys can't do that.  I'm not sure it's Hiestand's issue either because we had highlights of Bars in the preseason doing exactly that.  He had to learn that while at Notre Dame.  Bars would block the man with one arm to assist his teammate getting setup for the block, and then peel off to the LB.  Maybe Dr. Phil is right and Daniels is just too weak to handle this because he's always got his arms bent all the way in when blocking (meaning he's using his body weight on defenders).  Same thing goes for Leno.  I'm not an expert on Oline play so that's just what I've observed watching clips this season.   Whatever the reason is, this has to be fixed.  Defense don't care if we run even with 6 in the box because they know they will have unblocked players.  

For real. There are other problems to be sure, but damn we have a bunch of zeroes.

A couple years back I said theyd clean out all the WRs, and a lot of people argued with me here, and it turned out I was right.

I dont want to be the guy that took the opposite side of that on the OL. Let's get a lot of new faces in here.

Coward is a JOKE. Leno is worse. Daniels is not ready and maybe never will be. Massie was awful before he got injured. Whitehair seems OK I guess. Lucas might be someone you can grow with. But if they scrapped em all, Id be all with it.

JUST AWFUL.

9 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

For real. There are other problems to be sure, but damn we have a bunch of zeroes.

A couple years back I said theyd clean out all the WRs, and a lot of people argued with me here, and it turned out I was right.

I dont want to be the guy that took the opposite side of that on the OL. Let's get a lot of new faces in here.

Coward is a JOKE. Leno is worse. Daniels is not ready and maybe never will be. Massie was awful before he got injured. Whitehair seems OK I guess. Lucas might be someone you can grow with. But if they scrapped em all, Id be all with it.

JUST AWFUL.

Wholesale changes like that are rarely fruitful.  It takes time to build an OL.  My thoughts are to meet with them at seasons end and tell them to put there man pants on.  Maybe say goodbye to someone to send a message or let them know they'll be cut at the last possible moment so they can't get a good contract elsewhere.  Light a fire.  Draft someone highly and bring in a hard core vet.  I see two, there at the most.