Fuller restructures his contract

Alaskan Grizzly

That's a good thing, there maybe other's willing to restructure to help the team sign needed FA's.  This year was a disappointment, to both the fans and the players.  The talent is there to rebound in 2020, players hungry for success may have the motivation rework their deals to help the team be more competitive next season.  Not sure what the added 6 mil puts our cap for next year at, but every bit helps.

58 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

That's a good thing, there maybe other's willing to restructure to help the team sign needed FA's.  This year was a disappointment, to both the fans and the players.  The talent is there to rebound in 2020, players hungry for success may have the motivation rework their deals to help the team be more competitive next season.  Not sure what the added 6 mil puts our cap for next year at, but every bit helps.

it helps us cut and replace Leno.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like this move, but like trading future picks this can be harmful later down the road.

What he said.  I don't do well with math.  But it seems like common sense that he is not going to give any money back just get it all in different ways.  And from the start it is misleading because it really only frees up 4.5m because they were already on the hook for 1.5.  

"Details on Fuller restructure. First, Bears add two void years for 2022 & 2023
Bears then converted $2.5M in 2020 base salary + a $5M 2020 roster bonus into a $7.5M option bonus beginning in 2019. Meaning five $1.5M prorations thru 2023
Bears save $6M on 2020 cap (really $4.5M)"   

Just to put a damper on things.

By comparison, the Texans are expected to have over $117 million in cap room. The projected league average entering Week 17 is $49.8 million. The 2020 salary cap is expected to be between $196.8 million to $201.2 million "

And for all the math nerds if no one has ever been here.  https://overthecap.com/calculator/

according to the calculator at over the cap,

If we cut:

Floyd (save $13.2 Million)
Leno (save $2.9 Million)
Long (save ($8.1 Million)
Gabriel (save $4.5 Million)

Then we would have $40.6 Million to spend on the cap.

Cutting Robinson would save another $13 Million and
Cutting Amukamara would save another $8 Million
Cutting Patterson would save another $5.3 Million

I like Robinson a lot, but we could probably do better than Amukamara for $8 Million.

Trevathan, HaHa and KPL are free agents

we have some choices to make and some money to spend. We can get a shiny new Offensive Line.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:59 AM, BearFan NYC said:

according to the calculator at over the cap,

If we cut:

Floyd (save $13.2 Million)
Leno (save $2.9 Million)
Long (save ($8.1 Million)
Gabriel (save $4.5 Million)

Then we would have $40.6 Million to spend on the cap.

Cutting Robinson would save another $13 Million and
Cutting Amukamara would save another $8 Million
Cutting Patterson would save another $5.3 Million

I like Robinson a lot, but we could probably do better than Amukamara for $8 Million.

Trevathan, HaHa and KPL are free agents

we have some choices to make and some money to spend. We can get a shiny new Offensive Line.

Why would you cut Robinson or Patterson?  They were two of your best players last year. I would sign Robinson to an extension and drop his cap #. I would definitely cut Prince. 

No way I would I resign HaHa. You need to get an in-the-box safety so you can move Eddie back to free safety. Trevathan, KPL and Kwit are all FA. You need to keep 2 of 3. Most likely we will be saying goodbye to Kwit as he raised his price tag this year. 

Peace

5 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Why would you cut Robinson or Patterson?  They were two of your best players last year. I would sign Robinson to an extension and drop his cap #. I would definitely cut Prince. 

No way I would I resign HaHa. You need to get an in-the-box safety so you can move Eddie back to free safety. Trevathan, KPL and Kwit are all FA. You need to keep 2 of 3. Most likely we will be saying goodbye to Kwit as he raised his price tag this year. 

Peace

I was just talking about everyone who would save large chunks of cap room if you cut them.

I agree that Robinson should be resigned if at all possible.

As for Patterson, he is a good player and a great chess piece, but if it comes down to keeping him and Leno at RT, or cutting both and bringing in a decent FA at OT, I'd have to choose that option. Not becasue Patterson isnt good, because I agree he is, but *IF* there are only so many dollars to go around, it might have to happen.

I hope we can keep Patterson and revamp the OL.

6 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Long's retirement saves us 8.1 mil

I think we save the entire contract for next year's pay as the dead money gets accelerated to the cap this year:

"If there is dead money in a player's contract and he is released or retires, that charge will accelerate onto the team's salary cap for the current year."

so maybe they cut him, and spent the cap benefit on (some of) Jacksons guaranteed money so it doesnt count against the future.

I know that Trubisky hasnt worked out great, but overall I have liked Pace. Signing the two OTs notwithstanding.

Speaking of Kyle, his brother Corey (currently a CB with KC) will become an UFA this coming season.  Any interest in him?  I ask only because I saw somewhere else that question being asked.  From the little I understand about contracts I don’t think he’d be a big money burden but looks to be a good depth player?  Maybe if Tolliver, Shelly or potential draft pick were not to work out?