Next Week is the Trubisky Bowl

adam

So we get to see Watson vs Mahomes in the playoffs. I am sure Pace will be watching. 

Watson had something like 72 yards with a minute left in the 3rd quarter in a 16-0 shutout. He single-handedly wins the game scoring 19 unanswered pts and then gets the team in range for an easy chip shot in OT to win it. 

It was sort of ironic that the guy most like Trubisky, Josh Allen, is finally starting to get some of the same flak that Trubisky has received. After watching that game, Trubisky is literally 2-3 throws away from being better than both of them (Allen and Watson). If Trubisky can make 1-2 deep throws a game to stretch the defense, the underneath stuff won't be so contested. Then if he can make a proper read every now and then, magically the offense scores 7-10 pts more a game and the 3rd Down Percentage goes up a few pts. 

I'm so glad you didn't kiss Watson's ass for that miracle play he had.  He was literally on his way to the ground when the other defender hit him to stand him back up.  Why don't people wrap anymore.  Two big hits and no wrap on that play and Watson is Michael Jordan.  Rant over.

2 hours ago, adam said:

So we get to see Watson vs Mahomes in the playoffs. I am sure Pace will be watching. 

Watson had something like 72 yards with a minute left in the 3rd quarter in a 16-0 shutout. He single-handedly wins the game scoring 19 unanswered pts and then gets the team in range for an easy chip shot in OT to win it. 

It was sort of ironic that the guy most like Trubisky, Josh Allen, is finally starting to get some of the same flak that Trubisky has received. After watching that game, Trubisky is literally 2-3 throws away from being better than both of them (Allen and Watson). If Trubisky can make 1-2 deep throws a game to stretch the defense, the underneath stuff won't be so contested. Then if he can make a proper read every now and then, magically the offense scores 7-10 pts more a game and the 3rd Down Percentage goes up a few pts. 

I watched the game with my Trubisky glasses on where we criticize every minor mistake.  Watson only made plays running and kept hitting a lot of underneath stuff.  He had poor pocket awareness often backing out of the pocket too early when he could have easily stepped up.  Every time I watch him he's the QB I expected him to be, which is not bad but is not elite either.  How many times did McFarland criticize him for missed reads and not throwing to open receivers?   Given his game experience over Trubisky you'd expect him to be better but I see them pretty similar.  Can Trubisky get his head on straight and step up to the next level?  

10 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I watched the game with my Trubisky glasses on where we criticize every minor mistake.  Watson only made plays running and kept hitting a lot of underneath stuff.  He had poor pocket awareness often backing out of the pocket too early when he could have easily stepped up.  Every time I watch him he's the QB I expected him to be, which is not bad but is not elite either.  How many times did McFarland criticize him for missed reads and not throwing to open receivers?   Given his game experience over Trubisky you'd expect him to be better but I see them pretty similar.  Can Trubisky get his head on straight and step up to the next level?  

I see it as a unit problem with MT included.  They need a lot if growing from oline to WRs making catches and MT making the throws and reads.  The coach needs to have them ready or change it to what they can do.

I watched all the games, and Trubisky at his normal play level would've been better than half those QB's easily. Brees looked like crap. Hill looked better than him. Josh Allen was a hot mess and Watson did nothing for most of the game until the 4th quarter and was aided by the refs. He was more lucky than good. In NE, Tannehill had 8 completions an 72 passing yards and Brady ended with a 59.4 QB Rating. Both worse than Trubisky. Wilson was the best QB followed by Cousins, those are really the only 2 out of the 8 QB's that played better than an average Trubisky game. Wentz got hurt after going 1 for 4 for 3 yards and a sack. McCown did nothing in his place. I doubt Wentz does much better as he started out bad anyway. 

Next week's games are great, HOU and KC, SEA at GB, MIN at SF, and TEN at BAL. I think KC, SEA, MIN and BAL will advance making it a MIN at SEA and KC at BAL Conference Championships. I am thinking MIN vs BAL Super Bowl. With the way Cook is running and that defense is playing, MIN will be hard to beat. 

10 hours ago, adam said:

I watched all the games, and Trubisky at his normal play level would've been better than half those QB's easily. Brees looked like crap. Hill looked better than him. Josh Allen was a hot mess and Watson did nothing for most of the game until the 4th quarter and was aided by the refs. He was more lucky than good. In NE, Tannehill had 8 completions an 72 passing yards and Brady ended with a 59.4 QB Rating. Both worse than Trubisky. Wilson was the best QB followed by Cousins, those are really the only 2 out of the 8 QB's that played better than an average Trubisky game. Wentz got hurt after going 1 for 4 for 3 yards and a sack. McCown did nothing in his place. I doubt Wentz does much better as he started out bad anyway. 

Next week's games are great, HOU and KC, SEA at GB, MIN at SF, and TEN at BAL. I think KC, SEA, MIN and BAL will advance making it a MIN at SEA and KC at BAL Conference Championships. I am thinking MIN vs BAL Super Bowl. With the way Cook is running and that defense is playing, MIN will be hard to beat. 

As much as I dislike the Vikings, I would be OK with them winning a Super Bowl. There fans deserve it. i'm just not sure how they get there. I think Cousins game was an aberration. 

Peace

I watched all also since I am now retired and can sit on my lazy ass on Sat.  First time in my life I don't work on Sat.  What I found interesting in my opinion and maybe I saw things incorrectly but how much more def. and the running game where on display.  I'm curious to see how they game plans are this weekend playout.  From my point of view only KC is a let it fly team.  And I think even they would like to run more.  I may be totally wrong but this years so far seems like old fashion pound and ground.  Throwing bombs (will that statement get a knock on my door) makes all the highlights but moving the chains still gets wins.

But I still have no hope that MT is the answer at QB.  I would take 7 out of the 8 QB's  still left over Mitch.  

17 hours ago, adam said:

I watched all the games, and Trubisky at his normal play level would've been better than half those QB's easily

What is his "normal play level"?  Can't say that I would agree if you go with the 'body of work' from his three seasons as a Pro and one season as a college level starter.  Unless you qualify it by saying his 'normal play level...the last 3-4 games of the season.  Even then he wasn't completely solid, just better than his 'normal'. 

I think it safe to say that all the teams came in ready to play for the Wildcard weekend.   That's to include all the players they had on both offense and defense.  Poor Philadelphia came in with half their starters on the bench then lost Wentz a few plays into the game.  Even with all this Philadelphia was still in it until the very end with an injured McCown at QB.  

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I may be totally wrong but this years so far seems like old fashion pound and ground. 

That's the case many here have been making, especially when Nagy thought he needed to pass more than he did (like in the first game against GB).  Unfortunately the team didn't have the personnel (on the oline) to support a better run game or change of pace with the passing game to rely on it more.  

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I watched all also since I am now retired and can sit on my lazy ass on Sat.  First time in my life I don't work on Sat.  What I found interesting in my opinion and maybe I saw things incorrectly but how much more def. and the running game where on display.  I'm curious to see how they game plans are this weekend playout.  From my point of view only KC is a let it fly team.  And I think even they would like to run more.  I may be totally wrong but this years so far seems like old fashion pound and ground.  Throwing bombs (will that statement get a knock on my door) makes all the highlights but moving the chains still gets wins.

But I still have no hope that MT is the answer at QB.  I would take 7 out of the 8 QB's  still left over Mitch.  

It's pretty split, SEA and HOU won using the passing game while MIN and TEN won with a ground game. However, defense is definitely the main theme. SEA, HOU, MIN, and TEN had the better defenses. 

52 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

What is his "normal play level"?  Can't say that I would agree if you go with the 'body of work' from his three seasons as a Pro and one season as a college level starter.  Unless you qualify it by saying his 'normal play level...the last 3-4 games of the season.  Even then he wasn't completely solid, just better than his 'normal'. 

I think it safe to say that all the teams came in ready to play for the Wildcard weekend.   That's to include all the players they had on both offense and defense.  Poor Philadelphia came in with half their starters on the bench then lost Wentz a few plays into the game.  Even with all this Philadelphia was still in it until the very end with an injured McCown at QB.  

I only said half, and all I said if we had a normal Trubisky game or average game, not great, but not ridiculously bad, that he would've outplayed McCown, Tannehill, Brady, and Allen.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I wasn't talking about taking them, I was just pointing out that half if not 5 of the 8 QB's played worse than Trubisky does in a normal/average game.