Senior Bowl

adam

I am hearing reports that Bears scouts are really hard and heavy on the Offensive Linemen. They are also looking at TE, Adam Trautman, from Dayton. Just looking at his tape, he is nothing like Shaheen, way more athletic and a better blocker. He is who we wanted Shaheen to be.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098624/article/2020-senior-bowl-day-2-justin-herbert-sizzles-bears-eye-te

The Bears also met with Purdue tight end Brycen Hopkins and Vanderbilt’s Jared Pinkney earlier this week.

3 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

just like the WRs a couple years ago, dont be shocked if Pace brings in more new OL than just a couple.

Yeah I agree. I heard on a Podcast that 1/3 of all the Bears draft picks played in the Senior Bowl. So if that holds true, we will be selected 2-3 of these guys this year.

45 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

just like the WRs a couple years ago, dont be shocked if Pace brings in more new OL than just a couple.

They should draft 1 or 2 every year, as Jason would say, and I approve.  Look at SF how was built.  Use those high picks on the beef (OL/DL)...wheres the beef?  Unless you can get a QB, premium pass rusher, or shutdown CB, they should always go that route imo.   

46 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

They should draft 1 or 2 every year, as Jason would say, and I approve.  Look at SF how was built.  Use those high picks on the beef (OL/DL)...wheres the beef?  Unless you can get a QB, premium pass rusher, or shutdown CB, they should always go that route imo.   

It all starts up front...

7 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah I agree. I heard on a Podcast that 1/3 of all the Bears draft picks played in the Senior Bowl. So if that holds true, we will be selected 2-3 of these guys this year.

What's the norm for teams?   25%?   Also for consideration we've traded away quite a few picks in the last few years so that tendency to go after more known commodities should be expected.  When you have numerous Day 3 picks you take fliers on athletes like Stephen Denmark.    I wish that guy could play Safety.  

7 hours ago, adam said:

I am hearing reports that Bears scouts are really hard and heavy on the Offensive Linemen. They are also looking at TE, Adam Trautman, from Dayton. Just looking at his tape, he is nothing like Shaheen, way more athletic and a better blocker. He is who we wanted Shaheen to be.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098624/article/2020-senior-bowl-day-2-justin-herbert-sizzles-bears-eye-te

The Bears also met with Purdue tight end Brycen Hopkins and Vanderbilt’s Jared Pinkney earlier this week.

This Trautman guy is not a good prospect.  Watch one minute of him in this game.   He needs a lot of work in the weight room and his agility to avoid a tackle at the 50s mark is very Shaheenesque.  

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This Trautman guy is not a good prospect.  Watch one minute of him in this game.   He needs a lot of work in the weight room and his agility to avoid a tackle at the 50s mark is very Shaheenesque.  

Oh man, I had just seen a few highlight tapes of him. Check out the play at the goal line at 5:10. It's that option toss to the TE as they are crossing the LOS. He literally has to gain one yard against a tiny DB and he gets taken down. If he kept his head up, there was a huge hole to his left. Terrible. 

He does seem to be a better blocker than Shaheen and a little more athletic in general, but not someone you use a 2nd round pick on. God no Pace, don't do it!

6 hours ago, adam said:

Oh man, I had just seen a few highlight tapes of him. Check out the play at the goal line at 5:10. It's that option toss to the TE as they are crossing the LOS. He literally has to gain one yard against a tiny DB and he gets taken down. If he kept his head up, there was a huge hole to his left. Terrible. 

He does seem to be a better blocker than Shaheen and a little more athletic in general, but not someone you use a 2nd round pick on. God no Pace, don't do it!

I feel better about the potential of the practice squad players we already have:  Horsted, Holtz, Dax Raymond, , and even Darion Clark.   Clark was a basketball player the Bears are trying to convert.  For those who played basketball he has more natural strength and balance, and quicker feet than Shaheen.   He can't jump very well but his spin move at the 2:50 mark would put Shaheen on the floor if he tried it.   He's also a more natural runner than Shaheen which you can see when he gets out on the fast break.   In the highlights he has natural hands for catching the ball in traffic as seen on several quick inside passes.  Of course it's not always easy to translate that to a football.  

You never know how a transition to a new sport goes but all I'm saying is from an athletic standpoint Clark is the better inline TE prospect over Trautman.   I will keep telling myself that Trautman is nothing more than a smoke screen and hope that's true on draft day.   

https://thespringleague.com/?p=3873

On TE Darion Clark (6’6″, 240 lbs, USC): “Clark was one of the more interesting prospects we had in this years camp. A former basketball player at USC who has decided to make the transition to football, Darion showed great deal of potential. He possesses elite size, speed and athletic ability needed to become a force at the next level. Most impressive, Clark showed that he is a fast learner who under the right coaching can be a great asset to any squad that’ll take the time to work with him. Reliable hands, strong base, good hip flexibility and good acceleration. Clark is someone to keep an eye on as he develops. We’re excited to see what the future holds for this talented TE prospect.”

Some standouts that should be available after the 1st round:

1. TE - Jared Pinkney - Vanderbilt
2. QB - Anthony Gordon, Washington State; Jordan Love, Utah State
3. EDGE - Alton Robinson, Syracuse; Bradlee Anae, Utah; Terrell Lewis, Alabama
4. WR - K.J. Hill, Ohio State; James Proche, SMU; Van Jefferson, Florida
5. OL - Damien Lewis, LSU; Matt Hennessy, Temple

Adam Trautman (TE, Dayton) was listed as a top performer, but after seeing some of his full tape, he would only be a better blocking version of Shaheen and maybe a little more athletic, but not much. 

Otherwise, there are a lot of mid-round guys that have the potential to contribute right away. I hope Pace trades down on at least one of the 2nd rounders to pick up another mid-round pick. I would rather have a couple extra darts and hit on as many positional groups as possible.