BearFan PHX

Yes. I admit this is a stupid thread.

Still, the idea is interesting, and worth a January conversation, even if just for fun.

Gronk is apparently telling Brady to go to another team. That implies that he might be willing to come out of retirement to join Brady somewhere without Belichick.

They'd want a team with a good defense. They'd want a team that needs a QB and a TE. A team that knew that they were getting older and would draft a QB to sit behind Brady for a couple of years.

They'd want a team with a "fun" head coach. No winning at any cost like Belichick. Someone who liked to have dance parties when they win regular season games. Someone who was weak enough to dominate and do what they want.

They'd want a team in a big media market. CHicago would certainly bring big ad opportunities for Brady and Gronk.

They'd want a team that could contend for a Super Bowl, who didnt already have a QB. That's the real kicker. The best teams already have QBs.

Now I said this was stupid. I'm not sure Id want them here. Brady is getting older, and it'd feel so mercenary.

But maybe Brady would have the balls to reign in the offense in a way Nagy hasn't. Or maybe he'd get a quick PHD in Nagy-world and show us all how the video game offense really can work if you have a master.

Anyway, a lot of the pieces fit, so it's worth a discussion since nothing else much is going on at this time of year.

What do you think? Would you take Brady and Gronk on a 3 year deal?

I don’t think your way of thinking is way off key.  I’ve been pretty critical of Trubisky (and Pace because of it) but like ‘Ashkum’ says it would be a lot easier if he just figured it out.  Realistically speaking though, I have my doubts.  And to support our thinking there’s this excerpt from Gregg Rosenthal for NFL.com.  Please take note about the defense: 

“CHICAGO BEARS: (Need to) Give up the ghost with Mitchell Trubisky.

General manager Ryan Pace committed to Trubisky as the team's unquestioned starter on New Year's Eve. Perhaps some distance from an emotional season and the fresh possibilities of this crop of free-agent and rookie quarterbacks could move Pace off the commitment. Coaches and general managers waste more seasons and lose more jobs by doubling down on bad decisions than by making bad decisions in the first place. This Bears roster has a sneaky amount of talent on both sides of the ball, although Chicago's outstanding defense has already started to decline. The Bears could win right now with the right trade or reboot at the quarterback position. Closing their eyes to those possibilities is the sports equivalent of the cover-up being greater than the crime.”

I totally agree that doubling down on bad choices is the way to get fired.

I see a lot of that in Nagy.

I worry that I see it in Pace too, but he is so secretive about this stuff (which is a good thing) that I dont really know what he is thinking.

11 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

General manager Ryan Pace committed to Trubisky as the team's unquestioned starter on New Year's Eve.

Let's ask Mike Glennon how far you can trust words from Pace.  I would like to see a QB taken and you can find a gem once in a while later in the draft.  Here's to finding another Minshaw and then signing a savy vet aka Brady ?

On 1/29/2020 at 10:49 AM, BearFan NYC said:

Yes. I admit this is a stupid thread.

Still, the idea is interesting, and worth a January conversation, even if just for fun.

Gronk is apparently telling Brady to go to another team. That implies that he might be willing to come out of retirement to join Brady somewhere without Belichick.

They'd want a team with a good defense. They'd want a team that needs a QB and a TE. A team that knew that they were getting older and would draft a QB to sit behind Brady for a couple of years.

They'd want a team with a "fun" head coach. No winning at any cost like Belichick. Someone who liked to have dance parties when they win regular season games. Someone who was weak enough to dominate and do what they want.

They'd want a team in a big media market. CHicago would certainly bring big ad opportunities for Brady and Gronk.

They'd want a team that could contend for a Super Bowl, who didnt already have a QB. That's the real kicker. The best teams already have QBs.

Now I said this was stupid. I'm not sure Id want them here. Brady is getting older, and it'd feel so mercenary.

But maybe Brady would have the balls to reign in the offense in a way Nagy hasn't. Or maybe he'd get a quick PHD in Nagy-world and show us all how the video game offense really can work if you have a master.

Anyway, a lot of the pieces fit, so it's worth a discussion since nothing else much is going on at this time of year.

What do you think? Would you take Brady and Gronk on a 3 year deal?

"They'd want a team with a "fun" head coach. No winning at any cost like Belichick. Someone who liked to have dance parties when they win regular season games. Someone who was weak enough to dominate and do what they want."

I'm not crazy about club dub but would love to see Gronk dancing around.  Brady not so much.  And I don't think this is just wishful thinking.  They would become instant heros in Chicago if they were able to bring a SB back to Chicago

8 hours ago, Bill said:

"They'd want a team with a "fun" head coach. No winning at any cost like Belichick. Someone who liked to have dance parties when they win regular season games. Someone who was weak enough to dominate and do what they want."

I'm not crazy about club dub but would love to see Gronk dancing around.  Brady not so much.  And I don't think this is just wishful thinking.  They would become instant heros in Chicago if they were able to bring a SB back to Chicago

Oh Im not saying that they actually would choose a team because they could dance. Im saying that Nagy is not the disciplinarian that Belichick is. Otherwise, theyd both still want to be in NE.

But they want somewhere there is a coach weak enough to push around. That's what Im saying.

Another option for the QB/TE duo is Newton/Olsen. Cam is only 30, while Olsen should have a good year or two left at 35. With all the madness going on in Carolina, who knows if Cam will be there in 2020. What do you think? Cam would add some character to the locker room and Olsen can retire as a Bear. 

49 minutes ago, adam said:

Another option for the QB/TE duo is Newton/Olsen. Cam is only 30, while Olsen should have a good year or two left at 35. With all the madness going on in Carolina, who knows if Cam will be there in 2020. What do you think? Cam would add some character to the locker room and Olsen can retire as a Bear. 

I just can’t buy in on Cams mood swings.  His highs are high (which is great) and when he’s low, he’s worse than Cutler ever was.  

But man it would be great to have Olsen back. Another one of those players that should have never left.  

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I just can’t buy in on Cams mood swings.  His highs are high (which is great) and when he’s low, he’s worse than Cutler ever was.  

But man it would be great to have Olsen back. Another one of those players that should have never left.  

So Brady and Olsen?