Combine QB Notes

AZ54

Never heard of this guy but then again I'm not doing any research on QBs this year.  

https://www.walterfootball.com/combine2020blog.php

Florida International quarterback James Morgan was another quarterback multiple team sources said impressed them. Morgan has a live arm, and he did a very good job of throwing the ball accurately with velocity during the field workout at the combine, building on his strong week at the East-West Shrine. Team sources said that Morgan also interviewed well with teams. A number of teams are showing a lot of interest in Morgan, including the Bears, Packers, Buccaneers, Jets, Panthers and Colts.

I see poor mechanics when throwing, under throws the deep ball often, and he is slow running.  The first two fit the Trubisky mold so who knows.   

Still have to think IF the Bears draft a QB they need to look at Fromm.  Granted he’s not completely polished but if you apply the Bill Parcells model of a good QB he checks many boxes.  And has a 38-6 record as the Georgia QB... in the SEC.  and he’s familiar with Wims and Ridley. 

Side by side with Trubiksy they have compatible statistics with Trubiksy edging Fromm with a 157 QB rating to Fromm’s 156.  Of course Fromm has 43 starts (to Trubiksys 13) three bowl games (Trubiksys zero) and ~8,000 yards passing to ~4,000 for Mitch.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/03/01/chicago-bears-combine-jake-fromm/

14 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Still have to think IF the Bears draft a QB they need to look at Fromm.  Granted he’s not completely polished but if you apply the Bill Parcells model of a good QB he checks many boxes.  And has a 38-6 record as the Georgia QB... in the SEC.  and he’s familiar with Wims and Ridley. 

Side by side with Trubiksy they have compatible statistics with Trubiksy edging Fromm with a 157 QB rating to Fromm’s 156.  Of course Fromm has 43 starts (to Trubiksys 13) three bowl games (Trubiksys zero) and ~8,000 yards passing to ~4,000 for Mitch.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/03/01/chicago-bears-combine-jake-fromm/

After watching him throw the ball in the dirt at the combine why not take a chance?   Just kidding, his weak arm in Soldier Field in cold weather won't work.  

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

AJ Esenepsa has had a bad combine if he drops, do we take him?  He's top 15 rated everywhere. 

He'd have to move inside as DE in the 3 man front but he has the power to do that, and he'd be a good strong side DE in a 4-man front.  He won't offer much on the edge beyond that.  If he drops you have consider best available and he would absolutely help our pass rush.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

After watching him throw the ball in the dirt at the combine why not take a chance?   Just kidding, his weak arm in Soldier Field in cold weather won't work.  

Not any worse than a guy from FLORIDA International Univ.  “poor mechanics” and “under throws” I believe you said? 

As far as strong arms; remember that guy Cutler? Strong arms don’t always equate to great success...not in Chicago.  

In this instance we may want to consider ‘body of work’ than a bad day at the combine.  Trubisky isn’t known for long ball accuracy but between the two, Fromm has more starter (and successful) history.   And his “poor” combine could translate to a lower pick like 3rd or 4th round which is good. 

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not any worse than a guy from FLORIDA International Univ.  “poor mechanics” and “under throws” I believe you said? 

As far as strong arms; remember that guy Cutler? Strong arms don’t always equate to great success...not in Chicago.  

In this instance we may want to consider ‘body of work’ than a bad day at the combine.  Trubisky isn’t known for long ball accuracy but between the two, Fromm has more starter (and successful) history.   And his “poor” combine could translate to a lower pick like 3rd or 4th round which is good. 

I do consider his body of work and being opposite one of the best defenses in the country has helped him.  I just never felt he read defenses, or even individual defenders very well.  Meaning his ball placement wasn't always the best.   

I'm coming to grips with the fact that I just don't like any of the QB options that will be available to the Bears.  If Trubisky fails again, we're going to be back to the drawing board looking for a QB in the first round, so grab a competent backup in free agency that can compete with Trubisky and won't cost a draft pick (Mariota or Keenum probably), get some more weapons for the offense, fix the O-line and rededicate yourself to the run, and let's see what happens.  I don't really like Hurts or Fromm, and I don't much see the point of drafting a QB after that.  If things go bad, let's get in a situation where we are starting from scratch next offseason.

15 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I'm coming to grips with the fact that I just don't like any of the QB options that will be available to the Bears.  If Trubisky fails again, we're going to be back to the drawing board looking for a QB in the first round, so grab a competent backup in free agency that can compete with Trubisky and won't cost a draft pick (Mariota or Keenum probably), get some more weapons for the offense, fix the O-line and rededicate yourself to the run, and let's see what happens.  I don't really like Hurts or Fromm, and I don't much see the point of drafting a QB after that.  If things go bad, let's get in a situation where we are starting from scratch next offseason.

Even with Trubisky playing at his current level, this is no worse than an 8-8 team. We will now have the 3rd place schedule (compared to 1st place schedule last year), and it's hard to see all the players that regressed last year actually playing worse. So I don't see us ever getting to the point where we can get a top 10 pick and a blue-chip QB in the foreseeable future.

I am all for bringing someone like Keenum in, who would be light years ahead of Daniel if Trubisky falters, but shouldn't cost a ton and we won't have to give up draft capital.

Mariota is not gonna happen as he and Trubisky have the same agent.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I am all in for streaking during the Super Bowl.  But bringing someone like Keenum in, who would be light years ahead of Daniel if Trubisky falters, but shouldn't cost a ton and we won't have to give up draft capital.

I’m expanding my horizons with QBs I’d like to see as potential FAs or trades beyond Carr.  Those being Dalton, McCarron or even Alex Smith (if he can prove health wise he’s capable).  I don’t think all hope is lost should the team not find an adequate draft prospect.  They should at least consider one in the later rounds; like 3-4.