Eli's coming?????

Stinger226

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Bears cannot tamper with Eli.  An internet beat writer posted this yesterday and now it's all over social media.  

+1 for logic.

It's like the articles about the Bears trading Mack that don't even mention the cap implications.

So much internet BS these days.

Cant wait for March 18th!

It's definitely possible that they met with him, but with like Ashkum said, he is under contract with the Giants, so they can't let that type of news out. It happens all the time, and sometimes it actually gets reported. 

it seems unlikely that they would meet in public where they could get caught. And it's not like Eli is such a hot commodity.

We may well have interest in him, but I dont see us flaunting the rules so stupidly, but people have done stupid things before...

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

It seems unlikely that they would meet in public where they could get caught. And it's not like Eli  Mitch is such a hot commodity.

For some reason, this line seems eerily familiar to me (especially if you change one name).  Where have I seen this before?  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-the-fake-name-mitch-trubisky-used-to-keep-his-dinner-with-the-bears-a-secret/

5 hours ago, adam said:

It's definitely possible that they met with him, but with like Ashkum said, he is under contract with the Giants, so they can't let that type of news out. It happens all the time, and sometimes it actually gets reported. 

"The Chicago Bears will now forfeit their 2021 first round pick for tampering with Giants QB Eli Manning" 

I just dont see the value of taking this risk. Might need to beat the Patriots who are linked to have interest. 

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Zero chance of that happening.  Exactly what purpose would Eli serve on our roster?  

To pursue him now and tamper is just bad.  If they want to bring him in for a look after, so be it.  I think he would offer more than Chase.  I still say live or die with Mitch.  He floats the team one way or the other into the future.  He sinks, then the Bears draft pick is better in 21 and we have a better chance at another "franchise".  He rises, then we are on track for Paces vision.  Use this years draft to get those missing pieces (OL, TE, speed wr, #2 RB) to help the QB whether its Mitch or that 2021 pick. Now if they sit in the pond half sunk by mid-season, pull the plug and let it sink. Trubisky walks and we hopefully have a pick in the top 10. 

17 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

For some reason, this line seems eerily familiar to me (especially if you change one name).  Where have I seen this before?  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-the-fake-name-mitch-trubisky-used-to-keep-his-dinner-with-the-bears-a-secret/

yeah, but it wasnt against the rules to meet with Trubisky, the only risk was showing their interest to other teams who might leapfrog them.

In this case, it'd cost us a high draft pick if we were caught, so I dont see it. Not saying people dont do stupid things, they do, I just doubt it in this case, but of course I have no proof.

56 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

yeah, but it wasnt against the rules to meet with Trubisky, the only risk was showing their interest to other teams who might leapfrog them.

In this case, it'd cost us a high draft pick if we were caught, so I dont see it. Not saying people dont do stupid things, they do, I just doubt it in this case, but of course I have no proof.

My comment was more along the lines of ‘fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice...’.  And it was proven (or assumed) that Pace never really fooled anyone but himself with Trubisky.  With Eli and this potential sneaking around, I’m wary of what may come from it.  

I would be very surprised if there was any truth to the Bears tampering with Eli. This offseason I've seen articles linking every possible QB FA or possible trade target being linked to the Bears.  It's the easy article.  These kind of rumors spread like wildfire on social media.  Someone floats something out there and watches it spread.  

As far as bringing in Eli (out of retirement).  He may be a better backup than Daniels, we can do better than a recently retired 38/39 year old QB who's best days are far behind him.   Just don't see the benefit in kicking those tires, much less risking a tampering charge by having dinner with him.  After googling it there's very little reason to believe this "rumor" has any credibility.  

10 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

If Eli is retired, is it tampering to talk to him?

I honestly dont know.

I didn’t know either for sure but this taken from a piece on NBC News:  

The Bears would probably get hit with tampering charges, seeing as Manning — who retired in January — is still under contract with the New York Giants, and will be until the new league year begins March 18.

thanks Grizz. That does answer it!

I think that when a team and a player, especially a QB, have discussions, they discuss the team makeup. If the team needs OL or WR or something, they probably have to convince the player that they are going to fix those issues.