Free Agency thoughts

Stinger226

He would be a good choice, he may be gone by our 43rd pick but since S is not a need so I doubt they use one of our first 2 picks for a Safety.

Good news with the CBA the 30% rule no longer exists so that means Leno could be let go with a 8 mil cap savings if they designate him a june 1 cut. NY may win his bet after all. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He would be a good choice, he may be gone by our 43rd pick but since S is not a need so I doubt they use one of our first 2 picks for a Safety.

Good news with the CBA the 30% rule no longer exists so that means Leno could be let go with a 8 mil cap savings if they designate him a june 1 cut. NY may win his bet after all. 

Do you really think he'll be gone by either of our 2nd Rd picks?  I doubt it especially with all the talent in this years draft.  In this draft we have two athletic talents at safety including Jeremy Chinn, who is 6'3" and 221lbs.  Both these players are similar but the lack of competition for Dugger has to be a concern for his transition to the NFL.  I believe both will end up having good careers and may end up as starters down the road but that won't happen in 2020.  Dugger adds return ability too but still IMO there are better football players in Rd 2 than either of these safeties.  These are the type of players we should look at if we trade back.  

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

That should put Burton's neck squarely on the block if he is not healthy.  Definite leverage for a pay cut too.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

but since S is not a need so I doubt they use one of our first 2 picks for a Safety

Just to be clear; I didn’t say Safety was not a need. I simply don’t agree that it’s as important as a player need from the FA crop.  Like AZ points out this player has other skills (sorta like Hester - safety with return skills) or like Ashkum says; a “tweener” or hybrid.  One that can cover two zones (essentially anywhere in the back 7) is more valuable than a guy who just covers one area. And when you draft a player like this you pay the lesser amount up front.  

I don't see us drafting a S or CB with either of our 2nd picks.  I think OL and OLB will be the first 2 but could  be a speedy WR slips in there. I also see us grabbing a TE in the 4th. That is around there where you can still get a decent prospect that could contribute.  

2A- OL

2B- OLB 

4--TE 

If one of those top WRs drop to us I can see us grabbing one there.  

Honestly I hope we trade back with both our picks so we end up with 4 in top 100. 

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't see us drafting a S or CB with either of our 2nd picks.  I think OL and OLB will be the first 2 but could  be a speedy WR slips in there. I also see us grabbing a TE in the 4th. That is around there where you can still get a decent prospect that could contribute.  

2A- OL

2B- OLB 

4--TE 

If one of those top WRs drop to us I can see us grabbing one there.  

Honestly I hope we trade back with both our picks so we end up with 4 in top 100. 

I like your plan of attack for the draft.  

It's clear people are getting paid that we can't afford.  So we now have to assume Floyd is gone to free up money.  13.2 to cap

They need to cut Burton, Shaheen, and Braunnecker.  We clearly have to many in the TE room. Adds 7.5 mil to the cap.

We need to redo Hicks contract and extend AROB now . Potential add 10 mil to the cap.

We need to resign our free agents Bush , J P Holtz, Coward, Brent Urban, Cornelius Lucas, Patrick Scales, and Aaron Lynch because they will all be cheap signs.  

Hope we can bri  back KPL  and Sherrick McManus on cheap deals. 

Grab Sudfeld now before he's gone as well. Should have a inside track because of him and Flips relationship. 

Target a OLB now  and go get them :  Marcus Golden or kyle Frackel or Jordan Jenkins or vic Beasley or Jeremy Attaocuhi .

With this plan I have to assume Bush is our starting SS , Bars is our starting RG, Sudfeld is brought in at #2, that we obtained a OLB to replace Floyd, Lucas is our swing OT, tolliver is our CB2. We still  should have enough money to add a 2nd tier WR. CB, RB, and S.

Draft a OT, IOL, OLB, QB, TE, S, CB and a WR. BPA at value of each round. 

Get a new GM, just kidding. 

46 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

It's clear people are getting paid that we can't afford.  So we now have to assume Floyd is gone to free up money.  13.2 to cap

If the first sentence is true then the second leads to what?  Problem is who are we going to pay less money, or even the same, and get better production?  

Pace wasted 9 mil on Graham so to even have some money to fill pl other needs , we need to cut him. Replace him with (first tier to expensive) but 

Players in the 8 mil range. Kyle Frackrell, jorden Jenkins, Kamalei Correa, Ezekiel Ansah, and Jeremy Attaocuhi. 

I was all in on Floyd until Pace wasted money on Graham  so now need more money. 

Hey grizz since our last headbutt, I thought I would go back and look at all your posts for the last 30 days. You really are smarter than me so I have been reprogramming my brain. Then this great idea popped into my head. We trade MT and Floyd with a 4th round pick to Oakland for Carr and their 3rd round pick. We being back 19 mil in salary but give away 22 mil away.  Tada n ew QB that we don't have to try to fit into our cap space . Then we draft Floyds replacement with that pick. Man it feels great to start thinking like you.

I've been on here for 11 years and have made over 7000 posts, if this bothers you you should have been here when Culter was around, this headbutting is quite civil. I only respond to other peoples snarkiness. . Go back and read all the posts I respond don't initiate these scrimmages.  Grizz is okay but we go back and forth , this isn't new.  If you don't like it just ignore the posts. 

I was here then. Ive been here a long time.

Im saying it makes you look weak and petty, and it's uncomfortable to read.

I can give as well as I get, even if you have 7000 posts.

My advice is to moderate the personal stuff because its really dumb and cringey.

If someone takes a shot at you  or states something wrong , just ignore them? Hard for me to do that.  If you want to kick both of  us off , too late for me to change.  Go for it. You seem to be the only one complaining about it. This is a Bears blog not The Catholic Fantasy league blog.

Stinger c’mon man.  I’ve put up with a lot worse than you (remember Jason? and then there was that troll who ended up getting booted because he started his racial crap... can’t remember his name).  But believe me after 20+ years in the military and another handful in the public sector, I don’t get offended easily.  So if you’re trying to ‘hurt my feelings’ it ain’t happenin.  Like NY says we can agree to disagree without the personal discourse.  I admit I haven’t always been above board but I’m working to get better and I’ll do the best I can to restrain myself from mocking you and your predictions.  

After all, the apocalypse is upon us and this talk of Bears football is my current distraction...and it’s St. Patty’s day!  I’ll drink one of my many (some say hoarded) Guiness’s in your honor later when I get home!  Cheers!

To get back to the actual topic, I’d like to see the next move be a starting caliber S. There were rumors about HHCD, but nothing confirmed. Heck, I’d be just fine bringing back Deon Bush - I think he did pretty well when he played. Not many safeties have come off the board, but the Bears currently have one safety under contract. Don’t want to be the last one standing when the music stops. 

30 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

To get back to the actual topic, I’d like to see the next move be a starting caliber S. There were rumors about HHCD, but nothing confirmed. Heck, I’d be just fine bringing back Deon Bush - I think he did pretty well when he played. Not many safeties have come off the board, but the Bears currently have one safety under contract. Don’t want to be the last one standing when the music stops. 

Agreed.  To be honest I’ll stick to my original thought where they draft one, knowing Bush (or even HHCD) is still ‘here’.  In theory they and the draftee could fight for the position.  I think there is still a decent chance at getting a good true SS candidate in rounds 2 or 3.  

This all started with the Ss need thing. That is a difference of opinion as to the degree of need , you dismissed it and say we will just draft one.  That would only give us 3 . A FA is needed.  You dismiss it again and say the theme of the thread is priority FAs. I started the thread and it's just free agency thoughts. When you say something offbase , I call you on it, you do that to me all the time that's how this all got started.  So I start jacking with you. It's hard for me not to do that. You think your smarter than me and you always make little digs . Example ( you say I'm still pissed because you were right about MT and Cutler) you give to much credit for a good memory.  If we disagree on something instead of little digs on each other, I guess we just agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

This all started with the Ss need thing. That is a difference of opinion as to the degree of need , you dismissed it and say we will just draft one.  That would only give us 3 . A FA is needed.  You dismiss it again and say the theme of the thread is priority FAs. I started the thread and it's just free agency thoughts. When you say something offbase , I call you on it, you do that to me all the time that's how this all got started.  So I start jacking with you. It's hard for me not to do that.

Like a dog with a bone aren’t you?  

I couldn’t help but notice another thread you started about other ‘FAs we wanted’ and where they ended up.  First off who determined that?  And secondly, you posted that Sudfield (or whatever his name is) ended up going back to Philly.  You were about the only one that called him as the solution to the backup QB problem. 

If your issue is that I’m hijacking “your” posts I’ll be more mindful and either post my own or leave a ‘thumb up or down’ emoji on yours. (If I can figure out how to do that).  That way you can have less critique to work with.  

This is exactly how these things get started.  Every one on here has mentioned FAs that they wanted for the bears. it's a group thing. Ones I remembered , I just started listing players and contracts to compare with players that got signed. I'm not sure what the high jacking posts means but I didn't take a poll first to see who people wanted me to mention.  I post shit because I get bored being in Thailand for 5 months.  If I post a thread you don't like, don't react. If you have an opinion go for it. I listed Sudfeld because I mentioned him , I never suggested anyone else did. This is what you do and then you throw this back like I'm always the one cat calling.  We both do it. 

30 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Like a dog with a bone aren’t you?  

I couldn’t help but notice another thread you started about other ‘FAs we wanted’ and where they ended up.  First off who determined that?  And secondly, you posted that Sudfield (or whatever his name is) ended up going back to Philly.  You were about the only one that called him as the solution to the backup QB problem. 

If your issue is that I’m hijacking “your” posts I’ll be more mindful and either post my own or leave a ‘thumb up or down’ emoji on yours. (If I can figure out how to do that).  That way you can have less critique to work with.  

??   ?