Trevathan 3yr Extension

AZ54

this is good news.

I gotta say, that while I really LIKE Kwitkowski, and I recognize his Rudy-like heart and grit, he just isn't fast enough to play in the current pass happy NFL.

If you could transplant the heart of Kwit into a faster athlete, you'd have a pro bowler.

This is an excellent move. I'm really looking forward to the next couple of weeks to see what the Bears do about Floyd, and other positions.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Well would you look at that, we agree on something.

AZ: gotta believe that this is a team friendly deal. The savings of it (assuming as much) will allow them to bring back KPL who himself was on the rise late last season.  

When you have practical and logical assumptions, we probably agree quite a bit, it's the La La land comments you make that we have disagreements on. So far Pace has made some good choices Tre Robinson, Harris and now Trevathan. 

Great move, addressing a hole in the defense before FA even starts. Hopefully for a team friendly deal. Looks like Kwit played himself off the team. It will be interesting to see if the Bears end up getting a comp pick for him in a year.

I didn't expect DT to return.  He has had some injury bumps lately, so the price must have been right.  He does keep the chemistry intact which and balls when in the field, all pluses.  Sad Iggy hasn't turn out, hoped for a Roquan twin but maybe he'll take a step. 

Also, RRH was tendered so he has a good chance of also returning. 

I think that resigning Trevathan is a sign that the Bears will move on from Floyd, and replace him with a young player who wont be great at first. Trevathan provides continuity to offset a rookie. The logic may be that youre not getting production out of Floyd anyway, and you cant really afford a proven vet pass rusher there, so youre going to have to draft a young player to grow, so given they will be on a lower rookie salary, you can take a few dollars and keep Trevathan for the veteran continuity he provides to offset the inexperienced younger player.

I think the odds of Floyd being traded or released just went up.

He got a 21.4 mil deal for 3 years.  That's more than I expected but not only a good player but a defensive leader. I read where they offered a contract to Kwit first but he turned them down.  So that means they offered him 7 mil a year. I can't see him getting much more than that. 

Also they tendered RRH at 3.4 mil which would return a 2nd round pick if someone would sign him 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

He got a 21.4 mil deal for 3 years.  That's more than I expected but not only a good player but a defensive leader. I read where they offered a contract to Kwit first but he turned them down.  

If my math is right that means ~$7million/year?  Guaranteed money I’m guessing plays into the cap where the overall contract does not?

Sorry to see Kwit is looking elsewhere.  Gotta go where the money takes you I guess.  He’ll probably end up like a Shea McClellin where he’ll be a ‘meh’ player and still win a Super Bowl ring.  

But I’m glad Danny is back.  He deserves it.  Love me some Danny T!

He got a 21.4 mil deal for 3 years.  That's more than I expected but not only a good player but a defensive leader. I read where they offered a contract to Kwit first but he turned them down.  So that means they offered him 7 mil a year. I can't see him getting much more than that. 

Also they tendered RRH at 3.4 mil which would return a 2nd round pick if someone would sign him 

That 2nd Rd pick won't happen.  This does allow Pace to lock him down and hopefully offer him a short term deal 2-3yr range with a little more guaranteed money (maybe $6mil) but still letting him hit FA when he's young enough to hit a bigger contract if he plays well.   

The $21mil was more than I expected too but after hearing how much cap space was going up with the new CBA deal all salaries are going to go up.   $200mil cap means teams can spend an average of $3.7mil per player.   Is Trevathan worth 2x an average player?  I'd say so for now.  That might change in the last year of the deal.  

Is this deal a sign players and teams are expecting the CBA to pass?  In this case I think it's in both player and team's interest to get a deal done early so not likely.  ARob hasn't even begun to negotiate as his agent waits on the new CBA decision.  

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Being in Thailand,( 12 hours  difference in time, I missed seeing that HaHa is coming back. I'll have to check that out. Personally I think he is not the best fit for the SS role in this defense but it will okay if he's back. 

It is just speculation because he had a tweet that said he feels better now knowing DT is back.  Nothing official

Interesting (not surprising) article about the Bears attempt at bringing Kwit back.  And the last line in the article sums up a great point; that being Pace has managed to find some decent defensive players that other teams want.

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/03/bears-reportedly-tried-to-keep-nick-kwiatkoski-prior-to-trevathan-deal/

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Interesting (not surprising) article about the Bears attempt at bringing Kwit back.  And the last line in the article sums up a great point; that being Pace has managed to find some decent defensive players that other teams want.

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/03/bears-reportedly-tried-to-keep-nick-kwiatkoski-prior-to-trevathan-deal/

It was great for us that we had two good options in front of us.  That doesn't happen too often.  Best of luck to Kwit, he will end up somewhere and hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of his coverage issues if we see him again.    

With Trevathan back in the fold, RRH tendered, and potentially HHCD resigned (rumor based on Tweet), that would only leave one starting spot left to fill on the defense before free agency (CB). If they let Floyd go, that makes two spots (Edge+CB). On offense, we would have a hole at RG, and upgrades needed at TE and WR3 (Speed). That's not a huge list to fill. If they can at least address one of the starter needs in free agency, that would leave the 2x 2nd rounders to plug starters in the holes:

Starters Needed:
1. Edge
2. CB
3. RG

Upgrades Needed:
1. TE (draft)
2. WR3 (draft)
3. Backup QB (free agency)

With the new CBA signed, the 2020 cap is at $198.1M for 2020. They expect it to go up considerably in 2021 based on the percentage of the overall revenue that can go to player salaries. So expect some contracts to be backloaded this year to take advantage of that bump a year early. I can see the Bears extending and modifying some current contracts to free up more cap space for 2020. 

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Where are we on the cap?

Spotrac says we have $21mil.  Overthecap says $8mil but they tend to be slower with updates.  Neither site is accurate as OTC shows Kyle Long still on the books, Spotrac has Eddie Jackson for $1mil/yr.  Hopefully tomorrow we'll figure it out but FA begins in earnest at noon.  

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Spotrac says we have $21mil.  Overthecap says $8mil but they tend to be slower with updates.  Neither site is accurate as OTC shows Kyle Long still on the books, Spotrac has Eddie Jackson for $1mil/yr.  Hopefully tomorrow we'll figure it out but FA begins in earnest at noon.  

Spotrac is correct. 2020 is Jackson's 4th year, they extended him 4 more years, so the only thing that gets applied to the 2020 cap is the pro-rated signing bonus of $12M. They have him listed at $3.7M cap hit for 2020 which is correct based on what I have read.

Trevathan got 3/24 with 14 guaranteed. So I assume the guaranteed money is this year's salary and the signing bonus. So my assumption is he has 3 years at a $4M base, with a $10M signing bonus ($14M guaranteed), so his cap hit this year will be no more than $7.3M which is basically in line with his cap hit for the last two years. 

If we use the $3.7M for Jackson, $7.3M for Trevathan, and $3.4M for RRH, and then assume Floyd, Shaheen, and Braunecker are gone, we should have $17.8M available for free agency and the rookie pool. 

$17.8M - Available

1. My assumption is they will also extend ARob, lowering his cap hit in 2020 from $15M to about $10M, and converting some of Hicks salary to a bonus which would bring his cap hit down from $11.8M to about $8M. Between those two moves, the Bears could free up around $9M for 2020. 

$27M - Available

2. HHCD signs for $5M cap hit

$22M - Available

3. Bears need to address RG, backup QB, TE2, WR3 on offense and Edge and CB on defense. With only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, the cost of the rookie pool won't be that high this year, so figure $4M, that leaves $18M. My assumption is the Bears address 3 of those needs in the draft and 3 in free agency.

$18M - Available

4. Bears use cap space to address 3-4 needs and depth. My assumption is the free agents will be brought in with cap hits between $1M-$5M. I don't think they will bring in anyone higher than that based on the need to get some quality depth. 

With the new CBA I read where if we designated Leno for a June cut we could save 8 mil in cap space.  Also would apply to Button with I think they would get 5 mil back. I think everyone they get will be 2nd tier free agents.  The wild card is what they pay at QB.

As much as I want Leno gone, I think they keep him and draft a OT in the second.  Let him fill the RG spot and then dump Leno next year.I think getting rid of Burton would be a better move and one high and hope of their 8 TEs contribute. 

With the new  CBA also we should have 10vmore in cap but half of that has to to the lower half of the roster as everyone gets a 200, 000 raise.

With the new CBA I read where if we designated Leno for a June cut we could save 8 mil in cap space.  Also would apply to Button with I think they would get 5 mil back. I think everyone they get will be 2nd tier free agents.  The wild card is what they pay at QB.

As much as I want Leno gone, I think they keep him and draft a OT in the second.  Let him fill the RG spot and then dump Leno next year.I think getting rid of Burton would be a better move and one high and hope of their 8 TEs contribute. 

With the new  CBA also we should have 10vmore in cap but half of that has to to the lower half of the roster as everyone gets a 200, 000 raise.

I previously mentioned leverage with Burton to take a cut, but it would also apply to Leno.  I can see them asking him to give some back.

4 hours ago, adam said:

Spotrac is correct. 2020 is Jackson's 4th year, they extended him 4 more years, so the only thing that gets applied to the 2020 cap is the pro-rated signing bonus of $12M. They have him listed at $3.7M cap hit for 2020 which is correct based on what I have read.

Trevathan got 3/24 with 14 guaranteed. So I assume the guaranteed money is this year's salary and the signing bonus. So my assumption is he has 3 years at a $4M base, with a $10M signing bonus ($14M guaranteed), so his cap hit this year will be no more than $7.3M which is basically in line with his cap hit for the last two years. 

If we use the $3.7M for Jackson, $7.3M for Trevathan, and $3.4M for RRH, and then assume Floyd, Shaheen, and Braunecker are gone, we should have $17.8M available for free agency and the rookie pool. 

$17.8M - Available

1. My assumption is they will also extend ARob, lowering his cap hit in 2020 from $15M to about $10M, and converting some of Hicks salary to a bonus which would bring his cap hit down from $11.8M to about $8M. Between those two moves, the Bears could free up around $9M for 2020. 

$27M - Available

2. HHCD signs for $5M cap hit

$22M - Available

3. Bears need to address RG, backup QB, TE2, WR3 on offense and Edge and CB on defense. With only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, the cost of the rookie pool won't be that high this year, so figure $4M, that leaves $18M. My assumption is the Bears address 3 of those needs in the draft and 3 in free agency.

$18M - Available

4. Bears use cap space to address 3-4 needs and depth. My assumption is the free agents will be brought in with cap hits between $1M-$5M. I don't think they will bring in anyone higher than that based on the need to get some quality depth. 

Man, if they sign Bridgewater and he has a cap hit of $10M this year (5M base, 5M signing bonus), then 25/25 the next 2 years, it could work.