Steve Smith on Aiyuk

AZ54

One guy whose opinion I trust on WRs is Steve Smith.  If he says 4 or 5 teams are going to take Aiyuk in the first round I believe it will happen.  Even if not it would seem he'll be gone before we pick at 43.  I wanted one of Reagor or Aiyuk in that spot.   We'll see how it shakes it.  If there is a run on WRs though it still benefits us because it's more likely someone like Delpit falls to us.   

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000001108491/Steve-Smith-Sr-One-2020-draft-WR-who-s-being-slept-on

Aiyuk would be a blessing at 43, so now I expect GB to select him. His speed with AR would be trouble and may be the counter blow to the Bears adding Quinn to the pass rush. Delpit would be our return counter which keeps Eddie Jackson deep. Dang chess, forcing ammo to be used.

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Aiyuk would be a blessing at 43, so now I expect GB to select him. His speed with AR would be trouble and may be the counter blow to the Bears adding Quinn to the pass rush. Delpit would be our return counter which keeps Eddie Jackson deep. Dang chess, forcing ammo to be used.

Yes I could see that happening with GB.  

I think out of all the higher WRs Reagor has the best chance of being there for our pick. I would have no problem picking 

Jalon Reagor at 43 

Then pick Chase Claypool at 50 and make him a TE. 

That would add lots of speed to our offense. 

Then grab Antonio Gibson later in the draft as a combo RB/ WR.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think out of all the higher WRs Reagor has the best chance of being there for our pick. I would have no problem picking 

Jalon Reagor at 43 

Then pick Chase Claypool at 50 and make him a TE. 

That would add lots of speed to our offense. 

Then grab Antonio Gibson later in the draft as a combo RB/ WR.

It would be interesting on offense.  That transition for Claypool would be difficult and I don't see him contributing much his first year.  I'd prefer to get two players who can contribute this year (Reagor, and CB, Safety, OT should Leno stumble again).  

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 9:56 PM, AZ54 said:

One guy whose opinion I trust on WRs is Steve Smith.  If he says 4 or 5 teams are going to take Aiyuk in the first round I believe it will happen.  Even if not it would seem he'll be gone before we pick at 43.  I wanted one of Reagor or Aiyuk in that spot.   We'll see how it shakes it.  If there is a run on WRs though it still benefits us because it's more likely someone like Delpit falls to us.   

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000001108491/Steve-Smith-Sr-One-2020-draft-WR-who-s-being-slept-on

For the people who want Reagor or Aiyuk, can you explain to me what they give us that we don't have in Anthony Miller?  I've heard a lot of people touting both as the "speed" receiver the Bears need, but looking at combine numbers, Aiyuk ran a 4.5, Reagor ran a 4.47, and Miller, who did not run at the combine, was timed at between 4.46 and 4.52 at his pro day.  They are all essentially the same size, and Miller had much more polish as a route runner coming out than either Reagor or Aiyuk.  I recognize that many receivers find their 40- times magically shaved at their pro day as opposed to the combine, but even so, it seems to me that if you want to argue for a speedier receiver in the 2nd round, Hamler would make more sense than Reagor or Aiyuk.  Otherwise I feel like we are just drafting a less polished Miller.   I'm personally starting to get in the came that we might be better served taking a big outside receiver like Tee Higgins and put Miller in the slot, unless they think that Ridley or Wims can be that guy.  If you still want a pure speed guy, you can take a developmental guy near the end of the draft or look at Antonio Gibson in the middle rounds that you can use in that way.

17 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

For the people who want Reagor or Aiyuk, can you explain to me what they give us that we don't have in Anthony Miller?  I've heard a lot of people touting both as the "speed" receiver the Bears need, but looking at combine numbers, Aiyuk ran a 4.5, Reagor ran a 4.47, and Miller, who did not run at the combine, was timed at between 4.46 and 4.52 at his pro day.  They are all essentially the same size, and Miller had much more polish as a route runner coming out than either Reagor or Aiyuk.

Can't speek for Aiyuk, but Reagor has jets that Miller doesn't have.  I watched him run his 40 live and the commentators said don't worry about the 4.47 because they had plenty of film of him leaving other fast people.  

12 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

For the people who want Reagor or Aiyuk, can you explain to me what they give us that we don't have in Anthony Miller?  I've heard a lot of people touting both as the "speed" receiver the Bears need, but looking at combine numbers, Aiyuk ran a 4.5, Reagor ran a 4.47, and Miller, who did not run at the combine, was timed at between 4.46 and 4.52 at his pro day.  They are all essentially the same size, and Miller had much more polish as a route runner coming out than either Reagor or Aiyuk.  I recognize that many receivers find their 40- times magically shaved at their pro day as opposed to the combine, but even so, it seems to me that if you want to argue for a speedier receiver in the 2nd round, Hamler would make more sense than Reagor or Aiyuk.  Otherwise I feel like we are just drafting a less polished Miller.   I'm personally starting to get in the came that we might be better served taking a big outside receiver like Tee Higgins and put Miller in the slot, unless they think that Ridley or Wims can be that guy.  If you still want a pure speed guy, you can take a developmental guy near the end of the draft or look at Antonio Gibson in the middle rounds that you can use in that way.

Speed but more so quickness.  I know what he timed at but his game tape is a little better than that.  He might not be a 4.30 forty, but I think he's consistently running around 4.4s.  That's enough to get behind someone and with his quickness if he learns how to run routes he'll be just fine.   AMiller has the quickness in his cuts but he's not running away from anyone.  Watch the punt return at 1:40. Aiyuk is very similar in the open field.   

By the way there are a lot of contested catches in that highlight film that you will never see from Hamler.  So while Hamler is faster I think Aiyuk and Reagor offer more versatility especially in the red zone.   This is the quality character Pace likes the draft...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884200-tcus-jalen-reagor-on-why-guerilla-training-will-make-him-the-drafts-best-wr

6 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Those are some nice highlights of Reagor but I hear them talking about alot off dropped punts. He looks explosive

I know he reminds me a lot of Hester, drop punt, take it the distance, and then even with some of his quick cuts.  Supposedly he has some drop issues too as a receiver but he can also win on some contested catches which is where little guys like Gabriel and Hamler have issues.  Aiyuk, like Reagor, still has to learn how to run routes too.  It's definitely a mixed bag but it's always like that in Rd 2 and it won't be any different for a CB or OT we select:  lots of goodness, some work still needed. 

On 4/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, dawhizz said:

...we might be better served taking a big outside receiver like Tee Higgins and put Miller in the slot, unless they think that Ridley or Wims can be that guy.  If you still want a pure speed guy, you can take a developmental guy near the end of the draft or look at Antonio Gibson in the middle rounds that you can use in that way.

Yeah unless you’re looking at a big body receiver in the mould of Calvin Johnson like Seattle’s new receiver JK Metcalf, you’re wasting an earlier round pick.  Javon Wims might be that guy already but with Trubiksys inability yo stretch the field and throw with consistent accuracy we don’t know.  Nor do we know the true ability of Ridley or for that matter Miller (although he still hasn’t proven his 2nd round worth himself).  

I think more position of need than another speedy WR are SS, OL, TE ILB and even QB.  

Unless one of the top 6 WRs drop they have to take a speed guy . All teams want to add more speed every year and other than Cohen have none.  Like you said Wims is our future big body player.  D K Metcalf is a speed guy with great size. He ran a 4.33 forty at 6'3" 228 lbs. 

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Unless one of the top 6 WRs drop they have to take a speed guy . All teams want to add more speed every year and other than Cohen have none.  Like you said Wims is our future big body player.  D K Metcalf is a speed guy with great size. He ran a 4.33 forty at 6'3" 228 lbs. 

Not so sure about Wims, he should have shown a lot more last year than what we got from him.  There were plenty of opportunities for him too.  I have more confidence in Ridley stepping up than Wims.  Maybe last year's performance wakes up Wims and he puts in the work this year.  However, keep in mind that despite his physical talents he never really had a lot of success in college either.  There's a trend here.   

On 4/11/2020 at 1:40 AM, dawhizz said:

I think Miller run out of the slot 70% of the time anyways and when he played boundary wr Cohen played the slot and he is a 4.4 guy. The key is Miller had surgery on his shoulder again and you need to cover yourself on a slow start by him. Also speed is a big deal for Nagys offense.  The more speed guys you have the better.  Personally, I think grabbing Claypool and play him at TE , some of the time, gives another speed guy in some sets. Imagine Claypool, Antonio Gibson, Miller and Robinson on the field at the same time would be a huge problem for a DC. 

On 4/13/2020 at 6:49 AM, killakrzydav said:

Safety and Wr are our biggest needs imo.

CB. I like Toliver, but I'm not ready to trust him as a starter yet. 

In my book, the biggest needs are S, OT, CB, OG, and even Edge rusher before WR. 

Should they look for a speed guy? Yeah, but in the later rounds. 

The two deepest positions on the roster are DL and WR.