Bears sign Jason Spriggs, OT

adam

Former Packers 2nd Rounder, was stuck behind Bulaga and Bakhtiari, so it's hard to get a read on him. He was on IR last year, so who knows. Another guy to compete with the revolving bookends we already have. One year deal, probably near the vet minimum, it can't hurt.

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

He was reportedly not good even before going on IR.  Could be another candidate to move to guard, as I believe lateral movement was a major issue.

Looks like you’re right.  Found this PFF scouting report on him. Says he’s ‘strong as an ox’ and good if anchored to the ground.  Not so good in movement and has a tendency to over-extend.

If the team goes primarily to a run game maybe he’s good at the outside position(?) But I’m with you, probably better on the interior. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2632418-jason-spriggs-nfl-draft-2016-scouting-report-grade-for-packers-rookie

26 minutes ago, adam said:

Spriggs has only started a couple of games as he was stuck behind Bulaga and Bakhtiari for his entire career in GB. I bet he competes with Leno and Massie for a starting gig. They were that bad.

totally. stinkingly awful.

I think the Bears wanted to draft him if I recall right.  When GB moved up (trying to recall) we ended up trading down a couple times and ended up with Whitehair.  

With additions of Ifedi and Spriggs, I have reduced the Bears to adding only one offensive lineman in the draft that projects at LT.  

They may be projecting the unlikeliness of moving down for additional picks. If we are lucky, we will be able to once to add a 3rd rd. 

Throwing darts at potentially good players that failed is fine. 1 out of  3 may succeed on a high level.  It's a minimum contract and at worst gets cut in training camp.  Out of the former high pick vets we added, I would say IFEDI seems to have the best chance at succeeding.  Some times a fresh start with a new coach and put at OG instead of RT may just be what the doctor ordered.  Burns and Mingo are probably what you see is what you get , depth players. Robertson is on a different trajectory, changed leagues, may turn out well. Spriggs will have to prove something. 

The new kids in the block might put some pressure on the hold overs that only had to show up to be in charge. I hope they still draft a high end OT prospect because we have quite a few 1 or 2 year players and need some long term stability.  But at least Pace is adding talent to the pot which should make the unit better as a whole.

14 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

But...you up your chances at winning hour bet.  ?

:) I sure hope so. Honestly, I'd be happy to lose the bet if I could still get rid of Leno LOL

The best chance is through the draft though, because I agree with Stringer and Ashkum here too that Spriggs is a longshot, but by no means a sure fire long term replacement.

If we do manage to get good starting LOT play by some way, and decent production from the OL this could be a VERY good team. But if it looks like Leno did last year, it won't matter who you have out there, even Mahomes, Brady, Rogers whoever you like best, they cant do it with a pass rusher in their lap all game, and no holes for the running game.