Most important needs that help the team?

Stinger226

With only 2 high picks for now , we have to figure we only get 2 potential starters at 43 -50 . What helps us the most since we added players at all of our need spots. 

It we draft a OT, almost anyone we would get there is going to need 1 yr of growing.  Jones- Cleveland and jackson are all rated higher but could drop. Is it worth setting him down for 1 yr?

Ruiz is the only IOL ranked a head of us,   with bringing in IFEDI and holdovers Bars- Coward. Ruiz may start but we're doubling up on assets we have at that spot. 

A bigtime WR would bring added speed for our offense  but may not even be a starter his first year. 

A RB starts out 3rd on the depth chart , so many reps he going to get in his first year. 

We have 9 TEs in camp and this class is rated low for impact players.  If we get one of top 3 , he will have limited reps.  Rarely do rookie TEs make an impact. 

No QB, available  to us would ever win a starting job in his first year. 

Our front 7 are set . We could use depth at edge and ILB but I doubt anyone worth taking at our spot would have an impact his first year. 

We have questions at CB but at least have options, is a rookie going to start day one ? Probably not.  

We have an allstar FS and a backup penciled in at the other starters spot. Definitely a high pick rookie could make an impact over Bush. 

So for me  SS is a no brainer . 

A top WR could start with Miller staying in the slot. 

OG  is probably the only other spot that could start day 1.

A LT could be deemed important enough to draft now knowing next year we need to upgrade both OT spots. 

So for me: SS and WR. 

I’ll say WR and DB.

I respect the people who want to upgrade at OT, and I don’t disagree, but I think you are out of your mind if you think a rookie OT is starting for the Bears day one next year. Setting aside the money invested in the present OTs (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2020/2/13/21128583/chicago-bears-2020-roster-turnover-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-charles-leno-bobby-massie-matt-peart), you’re going to have some kind of abbreviated offseason and the Bears will likely want as much cohesion as possible going into the year. Moreover, a lot of the guys you could get in the second round are touted as guys with great athletic potential but raw fundamentals who will need time before stepping into the starting lineup. Maybe Niang if you put him at RT, but my impression is that guys like Jones, Jackson, and Wilson all need quite a bit of work. 

I understand lets draft the best players with are only two 2nds.  And if they keep just those picks OK.  But I don't understand why you would not draft a tackle or IOL if they are the bpa just because they might not start this year.  This is still a team building draft.  I don't want a player who is just a low ceiling player with a high floor just so they can start this year.  I want the best option no matter when they might play.  

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I understand lets draft the best players with are only two 2nds.  And if they keep just those picks OK.  But I don't understand why you would not draft a tackle or IOL if they are the bpa just because they might not start this year.  This is still a team building draft.  I don't want a player who is just a low ceiling player with a high floor just so they can start this year.  I want the best option no matter when they might play.  

I think the only thing that might come in to play is Pace thinks his job is on the line and wants immediate help. But good teams draft BPA , we will find out soon what they think. 

I don't care if Pace thinks this is his last stand.  You draft for the future, not the present.  I'm very concerned with his history of falling in love with a player and moving up to get him, let alone trading back.  We truly need to trade back.  No franchise can survive with drafting for the now.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree other than if we had the chance to draft the top 4. Most people think they would be rookie starters but odds of that are none. I think they would give the veterans a chance to prove themselves first.

Completely agree. The draft should not be about only todays needs. We will be lucky to see one player start day one. It takes time to adjust. The only position I see a player getting the opportunity is SS.

This time is as good as any to get an OT because odds are Massie and Leno are both cut after this season. Now Ifedi or Spriggs may earn an extension to fill one of those spots but we could get a head start on having the other position up to speed. I think the OT pool is deep enough to get us a good one also. 

So most important is SS. Then WR, OT, CB, TE, RB in no particular order.  I'd love to see them trade down once to get a 3rd to fill another position. 

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

With only 2 high picks for now , we have to figure we only get 2 potential starters at 43 -50 . What helps us the most since we added players at all of our need spots. 

It we draft a OT, almost anyone we would get there is going to need 1 yr of growing.  Jones- Cleveland and jackson are all rated higher but could drop. Is it worth setting him down for 1 yr?

Ruiz is the only IOL ranked a head of us,   with bringing in IFEDI and holdovers Bars- Coward. Ruiz may start but we're doubling up on assets we have at that spot. 

A bigtime WR would bring added speed for our offense  but may not even be a starter his first year. 

A RB starts out 3rd on the depth chart , so many reps he going to get in his first year. 

We have 9 TEs in camp and this class is rated low for impact players.  If we get one of top 3 , he will have limited reps.  Rarely do rookie TEs make an impact. 

No QB, available  to us would ever win a starting job in his first year. 

Our front 7 are set . We could use depth at edge and ILB but I doubt anyone worth taking at our spot would have an impact his first year. 

We have questions at CB but at least have options, is a rookie going to start day one ? Probably not.  

We have an allstar FS and a backup penciled in at the other starters spot. Definitely a high pick rookie could make an impact over Bush. 

So for me  SS is a no brainer . 

A top WR could start with Miller staying in the slot. 

OG  is probably the only other spot that could start day 1.

A LT could be deemed important enough to draft now knowing next year we need to upgrade both OT spots. 

So for me: SS and WR. 

I don't agree with all the logic.  For one WRs are not known for having big rookie seasons.  Even then it's more questionable with one who is going to be complimentary piece (one I'd really like to have) in their first year.  Then you have to figure in the ability to learn the plays without as much practice time.  

A rookie CB can certainly be a starter on par or ahead of Toliver.  I think Toliver is a serviceable option for us os the gain here might not be as much as some would like to see.  

The OT perspective really depends on which version of Leno shows up this year.  If we get the 2019 version again I think we'd absolutely be better off with a rookie OT, even if they need a year to get their strength up.  It as simple as having someone in front of the defender is better than nobody in front of them.   If Leno returns to his average play then any OT we draft is definitely a 2021 player.  

RB I really disagree with.  It might not be our highest need but it's also one spot that is the most instinctive to play and someone like Jonathan Taylor or any of the top 3 RBs will step right into the mix with Montgomery.   I think Taylor would totally  change our offense for the better especially being paired with a tough to tackle Montgomery.  He can do enough in the passing game to cause defenses headaches in coverage.  I also think he would do the most to help either QB be successful.    

SS I agree has the biggest gap from "starter" in Bush to whoever we might draft.  I agree here this is where we have the potential to have the biggest impact among Rd 2 candidates.  

In the end I'm still evenly split among WR/OT/SS in Rd 2 with RB Taylor being the sole exception.  

RBs usually don't go  high anymore Taylor and Dobbins may be the exception. I see them early 2 round than first round picks.  Taylor might be there but would the bears take him that high ? I don't think they would but would give them trade back possibilities for a team that might want them.

I think if a WR like Higgins drops he could start with Miller staying at slot. I think with his speed , he would get plenty of reps. Now its questionable on his impact but at least would keep the  defense honest.  Later in the draft WRs would be more of a complement than a starter. 

I really like the idea of drafting Claypool as a TE because of his speed. The move TE is more a receiver in modern offenses anyways so changing positions wouldn't be that much of an affect 

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

RBs usually don't go  high anymore Taylor and Dobbins may be the exception. I see them early 2 round than first round picks.  Taylor might be there but would the bears take him that high ? I don't think they would but would give them trade back possibilities for a team that might want them.

I think if a WR like Higgins drops he could start with Miller staying at slot. I think with his speed , he would get plenty of reps. Now its questionable on his impact but at least would keep the  defense honest.  Later in the draft WRs would be more of a complement than a starter. 

I really like the idea of drafting Claypool as a TE because of his speed. The move TE is more a receiver in modern offenses anyways so changing positions wouldn't be that much of an affect 

Claypool is intriguing.