Gronk unretires, is traded to TB (not a joke)

adam

Madness, to me this was all setup. Gronk retires, Brady doesn't return to NE. He has the pick of the league, picks TB, then after NE signs enough players that prevents them from taking on Gronk's contract, he magically unretires which forces NE's hand to make a trade immediately (they cannot go over the cap). 

To me, this seems way too convenient. Also, TB magically had enough to take on his contract.

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Seems fishy to me, like it was preplanned for a long time. See my edits in the first post. I think it was their plan all along. TB has enough to absorb Gronk's 10M but NE didn't.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Seems fishy to me, like it was preplanned for a long time. See my edits in the first post. I think it was their plan all along. TB has enough to absorb Gronk's 10M but NE didn't.

And what’s more, in relation to OJ Howard he’s been on the trading block for a “few weeks” and initially it sounds as though TB had hoped to get at least a second round pick “straight-up”.  Now they might settle for some lesser picks.  Howard’s due to get a measly $1.8 million this year.  Again...hmmm. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And what’s more, in relation to OJ Howard he’s been on the trading block for a “few weeks” and initially it sounds as though TB had hoped to get at least a second round pick “straight-up”.  Now they might settle for some lesser picks.  Howard’s due to get a measly $1.8 million this year.  Again...hmmm. 

I agree, if I am Pace, I am already on the phone with TB. It seems that they wouldn't even want another pick this year (they already had two 4ths), how about a pick in 2021, which would be more useful to them. 

I don't think it made any difference had Brady stayed in NE  Gronk was done there.  He was not coming back.  And they got a 4th for someone who was not going to play for them no matter what.  Win   Win    Now how long have they been trying to work this out?  For awhile

one finer point: The Pats have to pay the guaranteed portion of Gronks contract whether he stays retired, plays for the Pats, or gets traded to TB. It's the same to NE's cap. The difference is that Gronk said he'd stay retired unless they traded him, so the Pats can upgrade a 7th round pick to a 4th round or not. And of course they chose to do that rather than spite Gronk.

But the idea that Gronk waited until a certain moment to put NE into a bind isnt right. Instead, he worked this out before the draft where NE was more likely to be willing to do it.

And they did.

The finances and picks and all that work out, but I don't see Belichick being a Trubisky fan at this point.

But imagine the nightmare if Belichick took Trubisky, and turned him into a 10 year all pro.

10 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

But imagine the nightmare if Belichick took Trubisky, and turned him into a 10 year all pro.

‘What if’ Belichick does as you suggest then waits until Shaheen is cut and adds him...then makes another 10 year run with both of them as key ingredients for 5 more SB wins?  As the kids say nowadays...FML 

17 hours ago, adam said:

Would NE be interested in Trubisky

When I originally thought of trading Trubisky it was more with Jacksonville.  Was thinking of a straight up trade with them for Fournette.  Thing is it appears Jacksonville is turning into an all out dumpster fire.  So who knows what could be gotten from them?  Hell even Robinson is making a play for former teammate and recently released WR Marquise Lee. 

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/4/21/21229602/jacksonville-jaguars-daily-allen-robinson-responds-to-marqise-lee-being-cut

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

‘What if’ Belichick does as you suggest then waits until Shaheen is cut and adds him...then makes another 10 year run with both of them as key ingredients for 5 more SB wins?  As the kids say nowadays...FML 

it would be SO cruel.