Denmark to Safety

AZ54

4 hours ago, adam said:

Denmark's measurables are very similar to Chinn's. 

Chinn
6'3"
221 lbs
32 1/8 Arms
4.45 - 40
41" - Vert

Denmark
6'3"
220 lbs
33 3/8 Arms
4.46 - 40
43 1/2" - Vert

The way the draft unfolded to us, the have somethings in mind. I hope they're right!

22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I just think they play ther board and had other players higher at the different levels we drafted.  At 43 they found more value in the TE as to the Ss available there3. Both were needs. 

All I know is that my board, more like a post it note, had OL before the 7th.

2 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Texans have released Tashaun Gipson. Should Pace be interested in him. Was a highly sought safety when the Texans signed 

Did a quick read on him and sounds like many Texans fans aren’t happy about it.  Said they think they’re trying to get Eric Reid to play alongside his brother Justin.  Texans signed him for a $22 million deal last year and are on the hook for $4million if it(? - not really sure what any of that means).

Watching some highlights on him makes me think of HHCD so maybe he’s more of a coverage safety like Jackson?  Still need an ‘in the box’ type.

He also went on IR late last year with a back injury.  The particular injury essentially was a ‘blunt force’ fracture of the lower lumbar. Probably won’t be an issue going forward.  He might get hung up without being able to do a physical for someone.   

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Did a quick read on him and sounds like many Texans fans aren’t happy about it.  Said they think they’re trying to get Eric Reid to play alongside his brother Justin.  Texans signed him for a $22 million deal last year and are on the hook for $4million if it(? - not really sure what any of that means).

Watching some highlights on him makes me think of HHCD so maybe he’s more of a coverage safety like Jackson?  Still need an ‘in the box’ type.

He also went on IR late last year with a back injury.  The particular injury essentially was a ‘blunt force’ fracture of the lower lumbar. Probably won’t be an issue going forward.  He might get hung up without being able to do a physical for someone.   

If nothing else having him available lowers the price for all the other FA safeties.  

So do they think Bush can get the job done. We will find out by whether they sign another S. There has to be a HaHa deal out there, to many Ss still left in FA. I say bring in another one and let them compete.  Has to be a 1 year 3 mil deal out there.  I suggested Eric Reid before of which I think is the best one left,  but as someone mentioned , could bring a distraction that bears wouldn't be comfortable with  . I think Geathers is the guy just because of ties to Pagano. 

Kindle Vildor could also be considered a candidate to try for SS.  He not only shows some decent coverage skills against players like Tee Williams in the attached video but in other highlight reels he shows a knack to be a ‘wood layer’ and likes to hit.  Played another good game against LSU and put out a good performance during last years Senior Bowl.  At 5’11” he’s a little on the shorter side but if he’s ‘put in the box’ who cares?  Some compare him to Earl Thomas who is only 5’10”. 

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Kindle Vildor could also be considered a candidate to try for SS.  He not only shows some decent coverage skills against players like Tee Williams in the attached video but in other highlight reels he shows a knack to be a ‘wood layer’ and likes to hit.  Played another good game against LSU and put out a good performance during last years Senior Bowl.  At 5’11” he’s a little on the shorter side but if he’s ‘put in the box’ who cares?  Some compare him to Earl Thomas who is only 5’10”. 

He might have the tenacity to play in the box but I'm not sure someone who weights just 190lbs will last an entire season there.  I also tend to think he's a better CB (than he would be safety) and that position has more value.   

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884073-kindle-vildor-nfl-draft-2020-scouting-report-for-chicago-bears-pick

—Tape shows him giving up a lot of catches to players who won't make the NFL.

—Not very tough at the point of attack; inconsistent effort as a tackler, which led to too many missed tackles.

52 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

He might have the tenacity to play in the box but I'm not sure someone who weights just 190lbs will last an entire season there.  I also tend to think he's a better CB (than he would be safety) and that position has more value.   

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884073-kindle-vildor-nfl-draft-2020-scouting-report-for-chicago-bears-pick

—Tape shows him giving up a lot of catches to players who won't make the NFL.

—Not very tough at the point of attack; inconsistent effort as a tackler, which led to too many missed tackles.

‘Tape also shows him making plays on players like Tee Wiggins (Clemson) and faring well during a tilt with LSU’. 

“Tenacity” sometimes is all one needs to succeed.  Here is a snippet of Earl Thomas’ draft report when he came out in 2010:

“WEAKNESSES:

Thomas is lean and not very tall and may not have the strength to make plays inside the box at the next level. Size will also limit effectiveness against larger inside receivers who can out muscle him for the ball.”

Although he was a tad heavier (and an inch shorter) than Vildor coming out, Thomas was also a first round draftee.  There’s no doubt he has the ‘tenacity” for the role and has done well with it.  

Dont get me wrong, I’d like to see Denmark succeed as a SS.  He’s a monster but because he used to be a receiver and is learning a whole new role I’m curious how that will all translate.  Have we seen him play Safety while with the Bears at all yet? Or even CB for that matter?  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

‘Tape also shows him making plays on players like Tee Wiggins (Clemson) and faring well during a tilt with LSU’. 

This is exactly why I'd like to keep Vildor at CB.  If he ends up our backup CB he's already shown he'll compete against the best WR and won't back down.   That's a whole lot better than the backups that backup at the LOS at the snap.  

Calls for Vidor to play S doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  He would be small for a box safety.  The few small Ss in the past that were successful were FSs. In the  box your body gets beat up a great deal more. 

Also a rookie coming in, in what will likely be a shortened preseason, changing positions is unlikely to get very many reps.  At least at CB he has a shot to play some. Callahan was on the small side and playing in at NCB , he was always getting injured. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Calls for Vidor to play S doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  He would be small for a box safety.  The few small Ss in the past that were successful were FSs. In the  box your body gets beat up a great deal more. 

Besides the aforementioned 5’10” Earl Thomas, there’s been a few others that have succeeded at Strong Safety...yes and some, not all, did play FS too.  

Ed Reed (5’11” 205#) 9x Pro Bowl, 1x Super Bowl and HOF inductee 2019 

Troy Polomalu (5’10” 207#) 8x Pro Bowl, 2x Super Bowl, Def player of the year 2010

Brian Dawkins (6’0” 210#) 8x Pro Bowl

Bob Sanders (5’8” 206#) 2x Pro Bowl and 2007 Def player of the year.  

Some here have asked for players like Troy Jefferson to join the Bears at SS.  Jefferson measures 5’11” 215#.

Another one mentioned early on Vonn Bell 5’11” 205#. 

Tenacity is the key.