Denmark to Safety

AZ54

I should have explained myself better. When I referred to small, not short, I meant in stature.  Thanks for looking up the players so I didn't have to.  The examples you gave prove my concern.  Ed Reed is 16lbs more than Vidor , the rest weight more. These guys are in tip top shape, so 16lbs more is quite a bit of difference.  I am not saying they couldn't play well , I was talking about durability. Bob Sanders was 5'8" 205 , he was good but had to deal with injuries that shortened his career. You have a choice of Denmark, 220 lbs who has 1 year of adapting to the NFL and knows the system has more of a chance to succeed than choosing a rookie 189lb guy. They're always examples for anybody you wish  to compare that does fit what's normal but the majority are bigger at that position. 

If the Bears are in the win now mode the SS that stands out from all players available and to be honest with most players unsigned is Eric Reid. 

I understand people’s reservations, he is out spoken and currently is challenging the union on the CBA that was signed. Also not standing for the national anthem isn’t something that makes many people comfortable with him because it feels he is disrespecting the flag and the armed forces that have sacrificed a lot for the general population.

I do think it needs to be said unless my knowledge is wrong, Reid hasn’t got any baggage the fans would be uncomfortable with such as domestic abuse, criminal activity etc. He may be a good person and contributes to his local communities. Do the Bears have a locker room that is strong else to manage him being out spoken.

i haven’t really looked at the Cowboy’s safeties but if they could be improved there with Reid it seems strange they haven’t signed him because they will sign anyone as evidenced with the signings of Smith and Gregory.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I should have explained myself better. When I referred to small, not short, I meant in stature.  Thanks for looking up the players so I didn't have to.  The examples you gave prove my concern.  Ed Reed is 16lbs more than Vidor , the rest weight more. These guys are in tip top shape, so 16lbs more is quite a bit of difference.  I am not saying they couldn't play well , I was talking about durability. Bob Sanders was 5'8" 205 , he was good but had to deal with injuries that shortened his career. You have a choice of Denmark, 220 lbs who has 1 year of adapting to the NFL and knows the system has more of a chance to succeed than choosing a rookie 189lb guy. They're always examples for anybody you wish  to compare that does fit what's normal but the majority are bigger at that position. 

Never said he’d be the solution as a rookie.   Just that he could be considered.  Yes “16 lbs” is more but isn’t that what weight training is about?  I mean look no further than pictures of players like Gronkowski or Joe Thomas before and after the NFL to see examples of how it works.  Even many “experts” have suggested rookie TE Kmet needs more meat on his bones and he’s ~260.

Understand the concern for durability too. Are you familiar with Adam Shaheen and Anthony Miller?  Players like Bears former safety Mike Brown (5’10” 205#) had durability issues. It’s the nature of the game unfortunately. 

Denmark would be a great Safety; if he could learn the position.  Just because he’s bigger doesn’t guarantee his durability over anyone else.  It’s about tenacity. 

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Denmark would be a great Safety; if he could learn the position.  Just because he’s bigger doesn’t guarantee his durability over anyone else.  It’s about tenacity. 

You lost me at tenacity.  How does tenacity prevent injury? Or did I read it wrong? 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

You lost me at tenacity.  How does tenacity prevent injury? Or did I read it wrong? 

Tenacity: (noun) the quality or fact of being very determined; determination

It was actually a word AZ introduced into the conversation.  I’ve been reiterating it to illustrate this is a quality of a player you’d like in a certain position; in this case Safety.  It doesn’t guarantee against injury (never said it did) just like being larger does.  I shared examples of prior safeties that were shorter or “smaller in stature” and have succeeded as Safeties (strong and/or free).  Denmark’s larger size does not solely guarantee his success, or more specifically durability, as a strong safety anymore than does a guy (whoever that is) that might be 4-6 inches shorter.  

26 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Tenacity: (noun) the quality or fact of being very determined; determination

It was actually a word AZ introduced into the conversation.  I’ve been reiterating it to illustrate this is a quality of a player you’d like in a certain position; in this case Safety.  It doesn’t guarantee against injury (never said it did) just like being larger does.  I shared examples of prior safeties that were shorter or “smaller in stature” and have succeeded as Safeties (strong and/or free).  Denmark’s larger size does not solely guarantee his success, or more specifically durability, as a strong safety anymore than does a guy (whoever that is) that might be 4-6 inches shorter.  

I know what tenacity means.  Rudy was the epitome of the definition.(and the chicken hawk when he was after Foghorn, oh and Wile E Coyote)  I'll take skill and instinct in a safety over tenacity.  I prefer my road runner under glass.

When you suggested Vidor maybe playing SS, I was objecting to the idea because of his smaller frame that I thought would cause durability issues so I read all of his draft profiles giving his strengths and weaknesses.  His biggest weakness is tackling and every draft profile mentioned it ( Not strong at the point of attack) ( whiffs on a lot of tackles) ( poor tackling technic).( led his team in mistackles)They say he's very good on pass defense though so I think I would leave him at CB.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I know what tenacity means.  Rudy was the epitome of the definition.(and the chicken hawk when he was after Foghorn, oh and Wile E Coyote)  I'll take skill and instinct in a safety over tenacity.  I prefer my road runner under glass.

Fair enough (and for the record I’m glad you didn’t take the definition as a dig).  

In the end, of the players currently on the team, I’ll admit Denmark is the most intriguing. Mostly due to his size.  But I don’t have anything to go off (statistics or performance) to think he’d be any better at it than a guy who is smaller.  Maybe my suggestion isn’t the answer (probably not) but I don’t think we should entirely discount it on size only.  

If I had any say (which obviously I have none) the Bears would’ve drafted Delpit long before adding another TE.  And If not him, sign a decent veteran before signing anymore WRs.  

39 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

When you suggested Vidor maybe playing SS, I was objecting to the idea because of his smaller frame that I thought would cause durability issues so I read all of his draft profiles giving his strengths and weaknesses.  His biggest weakness is tackling and every draft profile mentioned it ( Not strong at the point of attack) ( whiffs on a lot of tackles) ( poor tackling technic).( led his team in mistackles)They say he's very good on pass defense though so I think I would leave him at CB.

So you’ve shifted your point.  Which is fine.  And you’re right; tackling is in question for him.  But then again the fact that Denmark just transitioned from WR to DB about two (?) seasons ago gives me pause.  His draft analysis (that I highlighted earlier) as a DB questions his ability to transition for coverage and tackling. 

Since they have Bush, Gipson, and Lucas signed, I think the Denmak/Vildor converting can be set to the side until we see some practice reels. Denmark is a heck of an athlete, hard to say if he can make anything out of it.  His build reminds me of a  Sherman CB or maybe the do all Patterson WR/CB. He will most likely spend another year on the PS, but needs to show something this preseason.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

My understanding road runner is a tough " strong and durable; not easily broken or cut"  bird.

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So you’ve shifted your point.  Which is fine.  And you’re right; tackling is in question for him.  But then again the fact that Denmark just transitioned from WR to DB about two (?) seasons ago gives me pause.  His draft analysis (that I highlighted earlier) as a DB questions his ability to transition for coverage and tackling. 

This post started out as Denmark maybe playing S ( at that time we hadn't signed Gibson). You suggested Vidor, me and AZ were both concerned about his small statue.  You give examples of shorter safeties that played well. I'm not sure where this became a, either or with Denmark and Vidor.  I never really changed my position, I think he is small in statute but as I read more about him , I found out he is a poor tackler. So my opinion is he will not be moved to S and probably Denmark will not because of the Gibson signing. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Case closed... ??

I don't think signing Gipson has anything to do with Denmark moving to Safety.  If that's a decision the coaches think is best for Denmark and the team they'll do it.  Its not like Bush, Lucas, or DHC are players we must have on the 53.   If he struggles in the transition he can go back to the practice squad.   Whichever way they go with Denmark there is some real competition at the bottom of the roster.