Pace Liked Round Two...

Mongo3451

Many on this board, me included, felt that Pace had a great opportunity to trade down a net us a few extra picks.  Seems like that opportunity was available at both picks and Pace stood pat.  My guess is that got what they hoped for all along.

Would you have drafted differently?  Do you believe these players were exactly what Pace wanted at those slots?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-gm-ryan-pace-liked-picks-too-much-to-trade-down

I like both picks and think they have 2 players who will be difference makers for a long time. 

I try to look at it as this: 

RD1: Khahil Mack OLB

RD2: Cole Kmet TE

RD2 Jaylon Johnson CB

So we traded up round 3 using our 4th to secure a rd1 CB talent the fell. I know it is not technically how it happenend, just helps grasping it.

RD5 Trevis Gibson OLB

RD5 Kindle Vinder CB

RD5 Darnell Mooney WR

RD7 Arlingtin Hambright OT/OG

RD7 Lachavious Simmons OT/OG

20 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I like both picks and think they have 2 players who will be difference makers for a long time. 

RD2 Jaylon Johnson CB

So we traded up round 3 using our 4th to secure a rd1 CB talent the fell. I know it is not technically how it happenend, just helps grasping it.

RD5 Trevis Gibson OLB

RD5 Kindle Vinder CB

RD5 Darnell Mooney WR

That is the correct way to value the net result and it's not bad.  1 HoF player (who we drafted twice), a starter at TE, a starter at CB.  A likely solid backup OLB and in the 5th a possible replacement for Gabriel as a 4th WR.   Not sure I expect much from Vinder and I definitely don't expect anything from the Oline prospects.  

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

RD2 Jaylon Johnson CB

RD5 Trevis Gibson OLB

RD5 Kindle Vinder CB

RD5 Darnell Mooney WR

You missed RD4 - Nick Foles. 

this years loss of 1st rounder was offset by gaining a 2nd rounder back this year, and we gave this year's 3rd too.
So maybe it's cleaner to consider that we drafted Mack with last year's #1, and Johnson with this year's.

RD 1: Jaylon Johnson CB (and 1/4 of Khalil Mack EDGE)

RD 2: Cole Kmet

RD 3: 1/10-ish of Khalil Mack EDGE

RD 4: Nick Foles QB

RD5 Trevis Gibson OLB

RD5 Kindle Vinder CB

RD5 Darnell Mooney WR

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That is the correct way to value the net result and it's not bad.  1 HoF player (who we drafted twice), a starter at TE, a starter at CB.  A likely solid backup OLB and in the 5th a possible replacement for Gabriel as a 4th WR.   Not sure I expect much from Vinder and I definitely don't expect anything from the Oline prospects.  

Later picks usually dont make a difference.  As much as I hate to use as an example, leno was a 7th round pick. We got plenty of value out of this draft, all as you stated.  I have read everything i could about the 2 OLs , and one of them may be a rostered player one day.  Simmons has attitude and is athletic. I like. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Later picks usually dont make a difference.  As much as I hate to use as an example, leno was a 7th round pick. We got plenty of value out of this draft, all as you stated.  I have read everything i could about the 2 OLs , and one of them may be a rostered player one day.  Simmons has attitude and is athletic. I like. 

I read a little bit on them and it seems there is some reason for optimism on both maybe to develop as backups some day.  

All the picks seem like they all have similar traits. All are competitors and play with an edge. Watch some tape of Kmet vs Shaheen. Shaheen trips over the white lines while Kmet will not go down on first contact. I like this comment about Kmet on NFL.com:

Rumbles after catch, treating tacklers like bumper cars

That reminds me of Montgomery, he refuses to go down. 

Fuller better watch out as I can see Vinder pushing for playing time and with Fuller's cap hit in 2021, he may be a cap casualty if Vinder looks good.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:34 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Many on this board, me included, felt that Pace had a great opportunity to trade down a net us a few extra picks.  Seems like that opportunity was available at both picks and Pace stood pat.  My guess is that got what they hoped for all along.

Would you have drafted differently?  Do you believe these players were exactly what Pace wanted at those slots?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-gm-ryan-pace-liked-picks-too-much-to-trade-down

By the way I'm perfectly good with the fact we stayed put.  I always felt we had a good chance to get a rookie who could be a legit starter at 43.  And after Rd 1 it was clear that we had a great chance to get two ....and we did.   In fact I think we did better than I ever anticipated with Johnson at 50.  I thought we'd end up with someone like Chinn who might have been a starter but would have more growing pains.