The Starting QB is.......

adam

So after all of this talk in the offseason, we leave training camp without an answer. If you have two QB's, you have none. My gut tells me it will be Foles based on Nagy's comments. He keeps saying it will be a tough decision, but wouldn't naming Trubisky the starter in Year 4 be easy? So if it is a difficult decision, then it has to be Foles right? That seems logical to me because if they were that close throughout training camp, the no-brainer is to go with Trubisky. So I am saying it's Foles for Week 1.  How about you?

I think it will be Trubisky - if for no other reason that you kind of know how Foles will respond as a backup. Further - it still is in the Bears long term interest for Mitch to work.  If they were even close in competition, you got to go with the younger guy and that is even more important when you know the other has been a backup before (meaning you know he is better / more apt to accept it). Let Mitch role for a couple games - if it doesn't work, they'll make the move to Nick quick.  

You always start with decision-making and accuracy. In our opinion, too, there is situational football involved. 

This was one of Nagy's quotes. The first two are Trubisky's worst two traits. You literally could not come up with two worse traits for him. He is terrible at making a decision (or at least the correct one), and his accuracy, especially deep ball accuracy is terrible. Then the last one, situational football. Trubisky had to get the new call after going to the line from Nagy on every play. His brain locks up the minute something changes. 

Well, I think it will be Trubisky, bat I'm hoping it will be Foles. :lol:

I'm tired of them talking about stretching the field with a QB (Tru) who is terrible at going deep.

Why would the other team worry about Trubisky going downfield? Just watch the game tapes.

Have no idea.  But how do you bench someone who already has a problem with hims self confidence.  From what I've read.  MT is the only long term answer on this team right now.  Bench him and I don't see him coming back.  We know the upside of Foles off the bench and also know how he has done as a starter..   But Back to my first sentence.  What do I know... At this point I don't want either.  

They didnt make a decision. They kicked it down the road. We all know Foles can come off the bench, so they are choosing Trubisky while keeping that door open.

I do hope the light comes on for Trubisky, I always have, but if it doesn't, this staff has stayed with him too long.

I think with the lack of preseason games, it was hard not to go with MT. More familiarity with the WRs and the offensive structure. Idea situation he becomes who we drafted. If he ends up being same same , then we at least have another choice not Chase Daniels. Worst case scenario is he plays brilliantly for 10 games, gets hurt Foles takes over and goes to SB. Next year we sign him to 4 yr 120 mil and then he sucks again.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think with the lack of preseason games, it was hard not to go with MT. More familiarity with the WRs and the offensive structure. Idea situation he becomes who we drafted. If he ends up being same same , then we at least have another choice not Chase Daniels. Worst case scenario is he plays brilliantly for 10 games, gets hurt Foles takes over and goes to SB. Next year we sign him to 4 yr 120 mil and then he sucks again.

hahaha yes. and we are one week away from what really looks like I am going to have to admit you were right about Leno. I still maintain that he is terrible, and the season may prove me right, but I assumed the staff would see it and do something about him, and they surely seem to be starting him. grrr, but I will admit I was wrong when it happens.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, Connorbear said:

It's his last chance to break through. I say they give him 3-4 games to show his improvement. 

Peace

Agree - this is the right move. If the two were even close in training camp - you had to go with Mitch - if somehow he has broken through, it would be huge for the LT implications of the franchise. If he hasn't, you have a guy in Foles who has shown he can come in off the bench and we see if he can right the ship. Either way - if Foles plays most of the season, Bears are looking for a new QB next year.  If Trubisky plays the whole year - than it is likely we are having an interesting conversation over the off-season (and a better one than the one we had this off-season).  Lets hope Mitch takes a big step forward this year.  

QBing is like Calculus, either you get it or you don't. If you don't, you can still work thru the problems and sometimes get the right answer, but it is really tough. That to me is Mitch Trubisky. He has all the physical and leadership traits to be a QB, but he just doesn't understand the advanced math. He can get by for a while, but then is eventually exposed.

With the schedule, I think he gets two games, DET and NYG. If he can't figure it out against those teams, Foles comes in for the ATL game. They will give him the first game to knock off the rust, but after the second game, there cannot be any more excuses. Last year it was Chase Daniel. This year, it is Nick Foles. I could see giving him every possible chance to grow last year, but not this year.

That also gives Foles a couple of additional weeks to work in the offense. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

QBing is like Calculus, either you get it or you don't. If you don't, you can still work thru the problems and sometimes get the right answer, but it is really tough. That to me is Mitch Trubisky. He has all the physical and leadership traits to be a QB, but he just doesn't understand the advanced math. He can get by for a while, but then is eventually exposed.

With the schedule, I think he gets two games, DET and NYG. If he can't figure it out against those teams, Foles comes in for the ATL game. They will give him the first game to knock off the rust, but after the second game, there cannot be any more excuses. Last year it was Chase Daniel. This year, it is Nick Foles. I could see giving him every possible chance to grow last year, but not this year.

That also gives Foles a couple of additional weeks to work in the offense. 

this sounds very much like the plan they must be thinking - but it really means they havent been able to make a decision yet.

"QBing is like Calculus, either you get it or you don't. If you don't, you can still work thru the problems and sometimes get the right answer, but it is really tough."    I must disagree.  I have always been math challenged.  Geometry was easy.  Shapes etc..  In JR. high I thought ok ill take algebra 1-2-3 and calculus in High School.  My Algebra two teacher and I came to an agreement.  If I promised not to take anymore math classes he would pass me for the term.  Somethings you just can't but your mind around and I think that is where Mitch is.  I as always hope I'm wrong.

21 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

this sounds very much like the plan they must be thinking - but it really means they havent been able to make a decision yet.

Yeah, they took the convenient route. Now they can save face and say "we gave Mitch every opportunity to succeed". It allows them to move on easier. 

18 hours ago, Bill said:

"QBing is like Calculus, either you get it or you don't. If you don't, you can still work thru the problems and sometimes get the right answer, but it is really tough."    I must disagree.  I have always been math challenged.  Geometry was easy.  Shapes etc..  In JR. high I thought ok ill take algebra 1-2-3 and calculus in High School.  My Algebra two teacher and I came to an agreement.  If I promised not to take anymore math classes he would pass me for the term.  Somethings you just can't but your mind around and I think that is where Mitch is.  I as always hope I'm wrong.

Well maybe any math in general, at some point it just doesn't make sense and no amount of practice makes you better at it. You still "don't get it" but might be able to get some answers correct.

We should remember he had a should problem last year and was wearing a harness. That had to affect his play and mentally made him push more that created mistakes. Whoever gets us to win games, that will be my QB. For us to win we only need to QB play to be average in the league. IF we have a running game and with a great D, that is a winning combo.