Two Notes from Week 1

adam

On offense, it was clear that Castillo has influenced the O-Line. That is a good sign for some more consistency in the offense. If we can get the ground game going, play-action will be there with easy one read throws for Mitch. Daniels really stood out to me watching the game again. Nagy did a better job in play calling, but still needs better judgment in certain scenarios. Like before the half, we had yet to move the ball and you call a timeout when DET has the ball with a minute left, only to give the ball back to them with 45 seconds left and great field position. That was a rookie coach mistake. If you don't use a timeout and take 3 knees to go into halftime, you are tied at 6. Instead, they score and go into half with a 7 pt lead and get the kickoff in the 2nd half, where they scored again, and magically you are down 14 before you see the ball again. That was rough.

On defense, outside of Fuller, Johnson, and Jackson, everyone else underwhelmed. A few guys like Hicks and Trevathan looked old and slow. Trevathan was always trailing his receivers by 3-5 yards and was slow to react. Signing him instead of Kwit or KPL looks like a mistake after Week 1. Hopefully, he can improve but guys over 30 rarely do. Hicks had one or two good plays, but for the most part was not getting the penetration we have seen from him in the past. Is this due to Goldman? Mack gets pressure but had yet to finish a play. Roquan needs to step up for a top 10 pick. He is looking more and more like a bust. Gipson looked ok next to Jackson, but was not very good in coverage. Skrine also played solid but the team needs the DLine to step up (Nichols and RRH) to go with Hicks. 

Nichols and RRH didn't play well.  I think they were trying to make an impression when they really needed to control their gap.  You never want to see your DL turn their shoulders to the sidelines.  When that occurs, the OL owns you.  They got caught trying to lean and get skinny in the hole too often.  Watch them clean that part up tomorrow.  Hicks played his gaps well.

I was happy to see Mitch under center.  That shotgun run pass option game is for the birds.  Get the run game going to develop play action as you said.  If they develop a comfortable lead, then mix in some RPO.  RPO could be the greatest thing but it takes an experienced team to run it because it is more complicated.  Which I why we see missed blocks and penalties that kill any momentum.