Your 3-0 Chicago Bears!!!!

adam

"Big D&%# Nick" comes up big.

2.5 quarters with Trubisky generated 10 points against a terrible Falcons defense. He also gave them great field position on his interception. 

1.5 quarters with Foles generated 20 points. He also had a TD taken away when Dennard took the ball away from ARob in the end zone. So it could have been 27. Night and day difference running the offense. 

35 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m fairly comfortable with Foles running the offense AND the team making the playoffs (if the D can improve a little more). Concern is if he gets hurt (like last year).  I’m hoping this time of self-reflection for Trubiksy will help him considerably.  

Foles will get a week of practice before playing the Colts at home. I feel much more confident with him behind center and you can tell the receivers are excited based on the post game comments. The defense is still missing Goldman, they really could use another big body clogging up the running lanes. However, they held Ryan to 238 yards passing, which is very promising. Also, that includes 63 yards on one play. Outside of that one bomb, they held him to under 50% completion percentage and 175 yards. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Foles will get a week of practice before playing the Colts at home. I feel much more confident with him behind center and you can tell the receivers are excited based on the post game comments. The defense is still missing Goldman, they really could use another big body clogging up the running lanes. However, they held Ryan to 238 yards passing, which is very promising. Also, that includes 63 yards on one play. Outside of that one bomb, they held him to under 50% completion percentage and 175 yards. 

That was bizarre. Having watched the entire game, you wouldn't have thought Ryan would have under 300 yards passing and a sub 50% completion percentage. Some of that had to do with the fact that they abused the Bears on the ground, so his arm wasn't needed as much, but in that 4th quarter, they were able to generate a little more pressure, and it made a big difference with his ability to throw downfield. I think they had 3 consecutive 3 and outs at one point, which gave the Bears some of that momentum back. That was huge.

But, let's be honest: Had Julio Jones been in that game today, I don't think the Bears would have even had a chance, based on the way things started for them.

Football luck is a strange anomaly. CMC goes down and Carolina wins their game anyways. We usually talk about losing a game because of a bad ref call but instead we are talking about we could have lost BUT. We are 3-0 and you can see that every game has some luck involved in each of the teams wins and loses. That's football, enjoy 3-0. 

14 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

That was bizarre. Having watched the entire game, you wouldn't have thought Ryan would have under 300 yards passing and a sub 50% completion percentage. Some of that had to do with the fact that they abused the Bears on the ground, so his arm wasn't needed as much, but in that 4th quarter, they were able to generate a little more pressure, and it made a big difference with his ability to throw downfield. I think they had 3 consecutive 3 and outs at one point, which gave the Bears some of that momentum back. That was huge.

But, let's be honest: Had Julio Jones been in that game today, I don't think the Bears would have even had a chance, based on the way things started for them.

If Julio is in, that does change a lot, but who knows. Maybe Ryan targets Julio and doesn't take that deep shot to Ridley.

I feel like Ridley is underrated in that offense because people focus on Julio Jones.  Ridley's had himself a nice season so far and I believe had a strong second half of last season.  But definitely having both on the field makes that team more dangerous.  Gage going down hurt them too as he was also having a good season.  It was basically Ridley, and a bunch of no names and their TE Hurst.  The crazy thing is we're 3-0, but if Swift catches that pass we lose to the lions, if the Giants score on that final drive we lose, if we don't have our second miraculous comeback we lose this week and just like that we could easily be 0-3.  The Falcons have blown double digit 4th quarter leads in back to back games (16 and 15pt).  Losing week 1 to the seahawks is understandable that's a tough matchup.  They can argue that they should be sitting at 2-1.  But blowing big leads at the end of games has been a pattern, that's how they lost the Super Bowl.  

All in all we're 3-0 and I'll take it any day.  We need to play better all around.  Can't depend on 4th quarter heroics to pull games out that won't work against better competition.  Hopefully Foles having a full week's prep as the starter will help.  He could have had 5 TD passes in the 4th quarter, one was wrongfully taken away,  and the other a drop.  The difference in command of the offense, the huddle, reading the defenses, and decisiveness were clearly evident.  Mitch looked like a guy scared to make a mistake and generally indecisive.  Even his big run, he looked like he didn't know if he should go down, or try and score, if he's thinking score all the way (and once he was in open field he should have), the block was there to score.  He has all the phyisical tools to be a good QB he just does not seem to be able to put it all together consistently.  After 4 years he pretty much is what he's going to be most likely baring the lightbulb coming on at some point if it ever will.  The Bears have given him every opportunity to succeed.  He's had more benefit that many young QB's have.  Solid to great D, plenty of weapons, etc.  We've seen young QB's come in with less around them and succeed.  I like the kid, but his time here's done barring injury this season.  

The D has to play better, there is too much talent on the roster for the production we're seeing.  Our front 7 should be able to regularly harass QB's and we get there sometimes.  I know we're getting held a lot but there are also a lot of downs where our studs are getting neutralized.  I know our offense hasn't done them any favors.  It does get tiring to work hard to get off the field and the offense does nothing over and over.  Our run D, pass rush, and tackling needs to improve.  

Kicking game... ug.   It really hurts not having a reliable kicker.  The game should have been tied early on 6-6.  We're just going to have to play better on offense/defense so games don't come down to our kicker. 

Refs have also not been doing us any favors.  Two straight weeks we have had a defensive turnover taken away that would have been big momentum changes for us.  Roughing the passer on a sack fumble??? How do you even justify that call?  The pick 6 should not have been pass interference, the defender has as much right to the ball as the receiver. Yesterdays game was by far the worst I've seen, for 90% of the game it seemed like every time we'd do something good the refs would take it away.  Yet wouldn't call the Falcons for anything till late.  This was the only game it felt like they were doing all they could to keep the Falcons from losing.  As bad as it's been the Bears have been their own worst enemy.  The refs didn't miss and overthrow WR's, they didn't miss tackles in the run game, etc.  Good teams shouldn't be in a position where bad calls make/break you.  

2 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Refs have also not been doing us any favors.  Two straight weeks we have had a defensive turnover taken away that would have been big momentum changes for us.  Roughing the passer on a sack fumble??? How do you even justify that call?  The pick 6 should not have been pass interference, the defender has as much right to the ball as the receiver. Yesterdays game was by far the worst I've seen, for 90% of the game it seemed like every time we'd do something good the refs would take it away.  Yet wouldn't call the Falcons for anything till late.  This was the only game it felt like they were doing all they could to keep the Falcons from losing.  As bad as it's been the Bears have been their own worst enemy.  The refs didn't miss and overthrow WR's, they didn't miss tackles in the run game, etc.  Good teams shouldn't be in a position where bad calls make/break you.  

There are plays both ways that can change the game, so I don't like to go back revisit those, because if other plays are made earlier, every game is a blowout, even in Atlanta.

Now the real issue is the officiating because that is something out of the team's control. 

If you look at the Hicks roughing the passer play vs the Foles TD pass to Miller and tell me what the defenders did differently. Both defenders landed on the QB, and to be honest the one on Foles was closer to a penalty than the Hicks play. Hicks fell on Ryan, Foles got driven into the ground with full body weight. Hicks called, play against Foles was not.

How about the Edwards play? Same thing, that negated a sack too. Edwards is already diving at Ryan's waist level but then Ryan gets smashed from the other side and falls down to the level of Edwards and they collide, Edwards gets a penalty. Yet on a fair catch, a defender barreling down on Cohen gets touched and decides to roll into Cohen at full speed. Rewatching that pisses me off because he didn't need to roll and made no effort to get out of the way. Edwards penalized, that idiot was not, and Cohen is now out for the year because of the reckless play.

Mack is held on every play and it is getting beyond ridiculous. The league is clearly de-emphasizing something about holds that teams are taking advantage of. Whatever it is, our O-Line needs to start doing the same thing. I will find the play this week, but there is a play where Mack is being held by two different players right in plain sight and nothing is called. If I am him, I would be pissed. The team needs to send something to the league about it because it is not happening to other players like it is to Mack. 

Check the Falcons TD run where Hill is seemingly running through a massive hole. There are two blatant holds, one on a DLineman and one on Trevathan that creates the hole. To me, those are easy calls that affect the outcome of the play. These are not backside ones that have no bearing on the play. However, earlier in the game Leno is called for a hold where the defender gets caught running the wrong way around Leno. The play is already past Leno when the hold would've occurred, so it was a pointless call.

15 minutes ago, adam said:

The team needs to send something to the league about it because it is not happening to other players like it is to Mack. 

Mack truly is getting held on every single snap.  He doesn't complain and keeps on grinding.  The NFL has instructed the officials not to call a lot of penalties they usually do.  That's why scoring is up.  I'm going out levels out, because it is ridiculous and not fair to teams that are defensively minded.  It's also why I'm screaming for Pagano to dial up some exotic blitzes.

15 minutes ago, adam said:

There are two blatant holds, one on a DLineman and one on Trevathan that creates the hole.

Gotta disagree on the Trevathon hold.  He should have never let a man get his hands on him 5 yards deep.  That was pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Mack truly is getting held on every single snap.  He doesn't complain and keeps on grinding.  The NFL has instructed the officials not to call a lot of penalties they usually do.  That's why scoring is up.  I'm going out levels out, because it is ridiculous and not fair to teams that are defensively minded.  It's also why I'm screaming for Pagano to dial up some exotic blitzes.

Gotta disagree on the Trevathon hold.  He should have never let a man get his hands on him 5 yards deep.  That was pathetic.

Blocker has to disengage, he can't prevent Trevathan from turning towards runner, he is holding his arms. Also, look at other side of the hole, O-Lineman has arm around shoulder and hand on back. That is a clear hole. Check out the pic below, to me one of those are a clear hold and created the huge hole.

trv.PNG

59 minutes ago, adam said:

Blocker has to disengage, he can't prevent Trevathan from turning towards runner, he is holding his arms. Also, look at other side of the hole, O-Lineman has arm around shoulder and hand on back. That is a clear hole. Check out the pic below, to me one of those are a clear hold and created the huge hole.

trv.PNG

Red line is LOS.  And Trevathon is disengaging from the blocker at this point.  His job is to meet the RB at the LOS.  Then, we look at the other guy getting mauled and turned almost perpendicular to the LOS.  Yes, he's getting held, but you don't let a guy make you his bitch like that.  Terrible play for those two Bears.

20200928_175211.jpg

I think part of the problem with the front 7 on defense is not having a true NT in there. Having a good stout 2-gap defender, especially in a 3-4 helps more with keeping your ILBs clean and your OLBs dealing less with being 2 or 3 teamed.  

I saw one play last weekend where Mack was on the edge, perpendicular to the line, with a blocker literally on either side of him and another just in front and to the side of him; so triple teamed.  Couldn’t tell you whether he was held but regardless, that’s a tough order to fill even for a player like Mack.  That’s more a job for a NT or even a DE (assuming they’re in a 3-4).   

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Red line is LOS.  And Trevathon is disengaging from the blocker at this point.  His job is to meet the RB at the LOS.  Then, we look at the other guy getting mauled and turned almost perpendicular to the LOS.  Yes, he's getting held, but you don't let a guy make you his bitch like that.  Terrible play for those two Bears.

20200928_175211.jpg

Mongo, if you watch the replay, Trevathan is actually coming over from the left side of this picture. There was no way for him to get to that spot without the blocker in his route. The problem occurred when Hill is a step or two before this, the guy is holding him. The minute Hill passes him, it's a hold. The other guy is Urban, an is held the entire time from getting to that gap. Its almost impossible to beat a hold, ask Mack. 

52 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think part of the problem with the front 7 on defense is not having a true NT in there. Having a good stout 2-gap defender, especially in a 3-4 helps more with keeping your ILBs clean and your OLBs dealing less with being 2 or 3 teamed.  

I saw one play last weekend where Mack was on the edge, perpendicular to the line, with a blocker literally on either side of him and another just in front and to the side of him; so triple teamed.  Couldn’t tell you whether he was held but regardless, that’s a tough order to fill even for a player like Mack.  That’s more a job for a NT or even a DE (assuming they’re in a 3-4).   

Hicks is also getting some double team action. What they started to do is run at Quinn's side who was taking some wide angles to the QB. They need to do some stunts and run blitzes off tackle there. That seems to be the gap they have the most success in. Also, safeties too deep for me on this play. That is Skrine in the picture who is in coverage. He shouldn't have to make that play. 
Both Smith and Trevathan were at the LOS on this play. That left a huge hole in the middle if it didn't work (or if they were held).

10 minutes ago, adam said:

Mongo, if you watch the replay, Trevathan is actually coming over from the left side of this picture. There was no way for him to get to that spot without the blocker in his route. The problem occurred when Hill is a step or two before this, the guy is holding him. The minute Hill passes him, it's a hold. The other guy is Urban, an is held the entire time from getting to that gap. Its almost impossible to beat a hold, ask Mack. 

I don't how to explain any more than I have.  Urban is completely beaten.  DL are trained to keep OL from turning them as much as OL are trained to try to turn them.  Holding or not, he's one on one getting owned by the OL.  Trevathon is a different story.  His job is to never let anyone get there hands on him.  Fail, hold or not.  No possible way you convince me they were not advised on that play.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

It’s looking more and more like “Snacks” will end up in Seattle...after he clears COVID protocol.  Bears will probably need a plan B for NT

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/9/30/21496043/damon-harrison-covid-protocol-seattle-seahawks-free-agent-visit-roster-news-transactions

I'd rather sign there too. Wilson vs Foles is a no brainer.