Foles named starter for Week 4

adam

The Bears officially have a new starting quarterback.

Coach Matt Nagy announced Monday that Nick Foles will start for Chicago this Sunday against the Colts. The veteran led the Bears to a dramatic comeback win over the Falcons this past Sunday after relieving Mitchell Trubisky in the second half.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-hc-matt-nagy-announces-nick-foles-replaces-mitchell-trubisky-as-starting-q

Saw this on ChicagoBears.com:  

The game-winner to Miller with 1:53 remaining came on a third-and-eight play that Foles changed at the line of scrimmage based on what he saw from the defense. In the huddle, Foles told Miller to run to the "L" in "ATL" in the end zone. Miller did, and that's exactly where Foles delivered the ball.

Having someone like Foles running this offense takes one less ‘guessing’ piece out of the game.  With Trubiksy you’re not sure he’ll be able to read the offense and get the ball to the receiver and with someone like Miller who at times struggles to be at the right place is less a concern.  Foles is able to describe exactly what it is he needs the receiver to do. This ability of his may help players like Wims,  Ridley and Kmet develop faster. It seems Foles is more suited to ‘teaching’ the play to his receivers when necessary.  

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw this on ChicagoBears.com:  

The game-winner to Miller with 1:53 remaining came on a third-and-eight play that Foles changed at the line of scrimmage based on what he saw from the defense. In the huddle, Foles told Miller to run to the "L" in "ATL" in the end zone. Miller did, and that's exactly where Foles delivered the ball.

Having someone like Foles running this offense takes one less ‘guessing’ piece out of the game.  With Trubiksy you’re not sure he’ll be able to read the offense and get the ball to the receiver and with someone like Miller who at times struggles to be at the right place is less a concern.  Foles is able to describe exactly what it is he needs the receiver to do. This ability of his may help players like Wims,  Ridley and Kmet develop faster. It seems Foles is more suited to ‘teaching’ the play to his receivers when necessary.  

What is crazy about this throw is if Miller misses it, it would've literally hit the bottom of the L. See the screenshot below where Miller caught it.

Foles adds an entire new element to the offense that Trubisky cannot do, change the call and even improvise the routes in the huddle and at the LOS. Listen to Jimmy Graham talk about it after the game. He sounded like a little school boy, he was so excited about Foles taking over. I know Trubisky has a lot better mobility, but teams didn't even honor that anymore. So I don't know if that is a truly a positive.

Trubisky can only run what is called. Even if the defense is set to blow the play up, he still calls the play and throws to the first read, regardless if that guy is wide open or triple teamed. The only thing I saw him do is call a different protection to bring a player in to block.

If you listen to his post game Zoom call, Trubisky said he didn't see the defender in front of Graham who intercepted the ball. That is because the defender was behind Graham and jumped the route because Trubisky was telegraphing the throw. That to me was telling. He thought the guy who intercepted the ball was in front of Graham when he really was behind him. That is how confused he was on that play. 

sdsdsd.PNG

12 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Pace must draft a developmental QB next year. Foles is a very good placeholder at the position but he is not the long term answer. 

Peace

This is a better position for drafting one than when we drafted Trubisky. 

By the way, I stand corrected. Nagy stated that the QB switch is permanent and not a week to week thing. So unless Foles gets hurt, I think they are sticking with him for the remainder of the year. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

Foles is only 31. If he is solid for the remainder of the year, I think you continue to build around him for the next few years and look for a QB in the 5-7th in the next year or two, but don't look for a true replacement for a few more years.

Is Tyler Bray your 2nd string QB next year?  Bears have to draft a back up and, hopefully, eventual replacement for Foles. The Packers drafted Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks and Matt Hasselback in the 90s when they had Favre. The Bears need to invest in the QB position.

Peace

The concern I have with Foles is his lack of mobility and potential injury.  In looking at a site that predicts injuries (below) there isn’t much to worry about and really no injury history (besides last year’s broken clavicle) that I can see.  Still...how good is the oline to keep him safe?

It might be prudent to get a solid backup in place at a low cost.  Is that guy Trubisky?  It has been suggested he work in relief similar to how they have Brees/Hill in NO.  Maybe with a limited playbook and in for certain downs or schemes he’d prove more valuable as opposed to simply letting him go (he certainly doesn’t have much value in the trade market).

If not Trubiksy then who?  Draft is one way but agree maybe not an immediate concern, unless Foles becomes an injury issue.  A couple QB FAs for next year are Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron and Jamis Winston.  I’ve seen McCarron mentioned as a possibly in the past so maybe?  None of those names really amp me up.

A2617DE2-7D46-44D8-9562-9C01A8657031.jpeg