Cole Kmet

adam

So what gives with this guy? He has the same amount of receptions as Bobby Massie and Ryan Nall, 1. 

He is 11th on the team in receptions and has only been targeted 3 times all season and was not targeted against Atlanta. 

For a 2nd round pick, you would expect at least a little better production at this point.

If you remember, there were some other TE names the team could've targeted, guys like Adam Trautman who was supposed to be a project, has 3 receptions for 34 yds, Harrison Bryant has 7-59 and a TD.

Instead of Kmet, they had Antoine Winfield Jr. sitting there, Jeremy Chinn or even Antonio Gibson who looks great with Washington. Those were all players we were talking about before the draft. Pace went with Kmet, and we are not getting any production out of that pick so far. 

I feel like that is also part of the offensive problems. Johnson has replaced Prince but Kmet is not improving the offense. I almost regret not taking any Offensive Lineman at that pick as that seems to be the weakness of the team again.

Its almost as if Connor wrote the below article himself...lol.  Some highlights:

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2020/10/7/21505592/chicago-bears-mailbag-the-teams-offensive-troubles-draft-trubisky-foles-kmet-robinson-nagy-ryan-pace

• Matt Nagy's play calling is questionable
  • Too much 'inside zone' running - DUH. When you consistently run straight into a wall of people at the Center/Guard hole and get nowhere, time to try something different
  • Both tackles, especially Leno, suck
  • And although drafted a bit early (in the author's opinion) Kmet is pretty much on pace where he should be.  In fact he suspects his production will increase as the year goes on

I sure hope so, but we are already at the quarter pole of the season. I am good with 2-3 balls a game and 3-4 targets, but my fear is he is not getting open, so neither QB is looking his way. The only other factor is the play caller is not using him at all, which is also concerning.

6 hours ago, adam said:

He has the same output as Adam Shaheen had thru a quarter of the season of his rookie year. This kid was supposed to be pro-ready, had the playbook down in a week, etc. Then nothing. 

I think they said he only got 15 snaps and Nagy said that isn't enough.  No matter what, especially with no preseason, I think it made for a bit slower of an integration into the full season.  I expect over the next few weeks we are going to start seeing a lot more of Kmet. Additionally - TE's tend to have a bit longer of a development in NFL offenses.  

12 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think they said he only got 15 snaps and Nagy said that isn't enough.  No matter what, especially with no preseason, I think it made for a bit slower of an integration into the full season.  I expect over the next few weeks we are going to start seeing a lot more of Kmet. Additionally - TE's tend to have a bit longer of a development in NFL offenses.  

I hope so, because it doesn't seem too hard for him to only have a few routes with minor wrinkles for blitzes and audibles. 

so far Kmet has contributed 1 catch, and one holding penalty.   Other than that it's been a where's waldo.  For the draft capitol invested in getting him he should be on the field more and more involved.  Which either means he's not quite ready to be more involved in the offense, Naggy's holding him back, or he's not as good as we hoped he'd be.  Through 5 games I would have expected more production from him.  As a ND fan and having watched Kmet play I feel he has what it takes to succeed at this level and maybe at some point he'll become more involved.  

3 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

so far Kmet has contributed 1 catch, and one holding penalty.   Other than that it's been a where's waldo.  For the draft capitol invested in getting him he should be on the field more and more involved.  Which either means he's not quite ready to be more involved in the offense, Naggy's holding him back, or he's not as good as we hoped he'd be.  Through 5 games I would have expected more production from him.  As a ND fan and having watched Kmet play I feel he has what it takes to succeed at this level and maybe at some point he'll become more involved.  

To me this is one of the most baffling things going on with the team. How can this polished pro-ready TE only have one catch on the season, when lesser players have more production? This feels worse than Shaheen because everyone knew he was going to be a project. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

To me this is one of the most baffling things going on with the team. How can this polished pro-ready TE only have one catch on the season, when lesser players have more production? This feels worse than Shaheen because everyone knew he was going to be a project. 

Maybe because Graham is doing better than planned? And  Harris is contributing from his position? 

I’d think Kmets issues might be learning the offense.  Harris has been in this type offense before in KC and Graham has been playing forever so his is probably more about talent.  And we’ve heard that there is a 100, 200 etc level to this offense.  So maybe he’s still at the 100 level?

Might I add; how about the Mooney kid?  I’m an instant fan. He’s like a newer version of Taylor Gabriel. 

5 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Kmet is only going to see the field as a blocker.  Right now he is learning and playing the Y.  They might have a play or 2 installed where he can slip out for a pass, but the way the oline is blocking, they need all the help they can get.  If Kmet was up to speed like Graham, then he would see 30 plus snaps and Graham 15 or so.  Look at it this way, Graham, Miller, Mooney, Wims, Ginn, Patterson, Kmet, and Harris all are fighting for time at 3 positions.  You have the oline (5), QB (1), RB (1), Robinson(1)  who are automatic. That leaves 3 positions to mix in the other personnel.  Kmet will come in time. 

Kmet is also learning from Graham. As long as Graham is productive, Kmet might not get as many targets, and that's OK. Together they are age bracketing the position.

The OL is going to continue to be a problem, and even more so with Daniels out. That left side is gonna be a nightmare. Maybe Foles can line up under right guard.

4 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Kmet is also learning from Graham. As long as Graham is productive, Kmet might not get as many targets, and that's OK. Together they are age bracketing the position.

The OL is going to continue to be a problem, and even more so with Daniels out. That left side is gonna be a nightmare. Maybe Foles can line up under right guard.

If Kmet was the only TE I'd be worried. People need to relax on him. The Bears are struggling but winning. As you said worry about the oline.  Definitely need to draft a couple OTs early and a project G/C.  I hate how they have avoid OT for nearly 10 plus years.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If Kmet was the only TE I'd be worried. People need to relax on him. The Bears are struggling but winning. As you said worry about the oline.  Definitely need to draft a couple OTs early and a project G/C.  I hate how they have avoid OT for nearly 10 plus years.

The team never should've paid Leno, fool's gold. The guy is smart in that he played for a big contract, but then turned back into a lazy turd once he got paid. People forget Leno was a Pro-Bowler the year before he got paid. Then after the big pay day, he got married, had a kid, and got lazy. Just look at some games from that season and now. It's a different player. I remember his wife posting a picture of him studying on a plane after a game where he had multiple penalties and allowed several sacks and pressures. That looks hilarious now. Leno may be the worst starter on offense, and that is scary at LT. I would see what Spriggs can do.

Massie is who he is. He is a smart player, huge dude, but doesn't play nasty.

I also hate that we have yet to address OT early. We had chances in every draft to get one in the first few rounds. We have so many guys that have not contributed at other positions and draft picks that you would think at least one or two of them would stick if they went OT.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Shaheen, Mike Davis, Kwiatkowski and Amos are all playing well.  Make a note that zero OL have left that are playing well.  Huge need drafting.  Where's my boy Jason?

Mongo, I wouldn't say Shaheen is playing well (2 receptions on the year), but he is playing better than he did here. Davis was always a good player when he got reps, he was not getting them as RB3 here.

Kwit was very solid for us and I would've liked to have seen him back. However, he has been injured with LV and just got back on the field, and had 2 tackles as a ILB. So he is not necessarily lighting it up just yet. 

Amos has always been a very solid SS. As long as he has a strong supporting cast around him, he flourishes. I thought they should've resigned him, but they were saving that money for Jackson, who has not been the same player since his injury. 

• 2 weeks later...