Jaylon Johnson

adam

No matter what metric you use, Johnson is near the top for all CBs this season.

As much as I am on Pace about Kmet and other draft picks not to be named here, Johnson was a steal in the 2nd round. It almost makes Pace look dumb for not drafting Johnson first. 

I was just hoping for play equivalent to Prince, but Johnson has far exceeded that and at times has been the best DB on the team, which says a lot.

If he keeps this up, he has a chance at Rookie, Pro-Bowl, and possibly All-Pro honors. He will need a few INTs to be in the All-Pro discussion, but he is right there right now in every other metric.

33 minutes ago, adam said:

As much as I am on Pace about Kmet and other draft picks not to be named here, Johnson was a steal in the 2nd round. It almost makes Pace look dumb for not drafting Johnson first. 

I was just hoping for play equivalent to Prince, but Johnson has far exceeded that and at times has been the best DB on the team, which says a lot.

If he keeps this up, he has a chance at Rookie, Pro-Bowl, and possibly All-Pro honors. He will need a few INTs to be in the All-Pro discussion, but he is right there right now in every other metric.

Fuller is right there with him. Bears are getting beat over the middle right now rather than on the outside. 

4 hours ago, McGowan said:

Fuller is right there with him. Bears are getting beat over the middle right now rather than on the outside. 

Yep, Skrine has been solid, Trevathan still the weakest link in coverage. I also don't like using Mack in coverage. The scheme needs to change where he is attacking the QB on every snap.

5 hours ago, adam said:

Not that I don't believe you but what metrics are we considering?  I want to say that I did see something that showed him with the highest (amongst rookies) with PDs (???)   How many times is he being thrown at compared to other CBs??  And then there's the lack of INTs, which could be for the lack of throws his way.  Like McGowan points out most of the success in the passing game is over the middle.  Brady will more than likely be going there as well (lots of dink/dunk passing).  I still have yet to see Johnson tackle anyone effectively so the eye test (for me) is still being analyzed.  

Loved the pick when it was made. I think he has a chance to be a pro-bowl CB, and potentially even an All-Pro. I like the fact that he's a true press corner, and has the ability to be a shutdown guy that can travel with other team's best WR's.

That said, he's gotten lucky on several occasions this season where quarterbacks have made some bad throws on plays where he's been beaten pretty badly downfield. Matt Ryan had a bad overthrow that would have been 7 points late in that ATL game, and Brady underthrew Mike Evans by 5 yards on a play that Johnson was also beaten badly. Tackling's been an issue, too.

All in all, though, he's been pretty damn good this year. I think you could make a solid argument that he and Fuller are currently the best CB duo in the league right now. 

2 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Loved the pick when it was made. I think he has a chance to be a pro-bowl CB, and potentially even an All-Pro. I like the fact that he's a true press corner, and has the ability to be a shutdown guy that can travel with other team's best WR's.

That said, he's gotten lucky on several occasions this season where quarterbacks have made some bad throws on plays where he's been beaten pretty badly downfield. Matt Ryan had a bad overthrow that would have been 7 points late in that ATL game, and Brady underthrew Mike Evans by 5 yards on a play that Johnson was also beaten badly. Tackling's been an issue, too.

All in all, though, he's been pretty damn good this year. I think you could make a solid argument that he and Fuller are currently the best CB duo in the league right now. 

It might make trading or cutting Fuller next year easier.  I hope they can fit his 20 million cap hit in.  9 million in dead, 11 in savings.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It might make trading or cutting Fuller next year easier.  I hope they can fit his 20 million cap hit in.  9 million in dead, 11 in savings.

Yeah, they will have to do something with a few of those contracts. I can see both Leno and Massie being moved before Fuller though. They can always restructure his to make the cap hit a little better.

I like having bookend shutdown corners. The more they can trust these guys, the more chances they can take with blitzes and such. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, they will have to do something with a few of those contracts. I can see both Leno and Massie being moved before Fuller though. They can always restructure his to make the cap hit a little better.

I like having bookend shutdown corners. The more they can trust these guys, the more chances they can take with blitzes and such. 

Got to keep the corners.  I would feel comfortable drafting OT on the first and second round, then cut one of them and renegotiate the other.  I am positive a rookie could come in and play to Leno's level, even with the learning curve.

OT, OT, DT, DE, ILB, RB, QB

19 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Got to keep the corners.  I would feel comfortable drafting OT on the first and second round, then cut one of them and renegotiate the other.  I am positive a rookie could come in and play to Leno's level, even with the learning curve.

OT, OT, DT, DE, ILB, RB, QB

Leno has to go. No surprise from me. :)

16 hours ago, McGowan said:

This is the first time in forever I can legitimately say the Bears have a kick ass secondary. 

It has been a long time for sure and based on Passer Rating Against, we have the top 2 rated CBs in the league.