Why Foles, Why Not Trubisky

adam

This is a great example of the difference between Foles and Trubisky. Foles does this all game long. Trubisky has to get the call from the sidelines, then just executes it to the first read regardless of coverage. So he does make some amazing throws like the ones to Miller but then also throws into triple coverage to ARob. Foles adjusted this play, the receiver, the rub, and the protections all while the defense shifted. Very cool to see a play broken down to this level.

So now Foles needs to work on the timing of routes with his receivers. Nagy mentioned that not all routes are being run to the exact spot they are supposed to and he wants that level of detail on every route. He also wants the timing throws to be there as well. Right now some of that is off, but the good news is we are 4-1 (4-0 in the NFC) on a mini bye and can only improve from here. 

This is awesome and why I’m convinced Foles is the man for the remainder of this season.  Yes I get he looked a bit sloppy in the first quarter but a lot of that was timing for sure.  Even in some of those off throws I wasn’t concerned they’d be turned over; like the INT to ARob which in my opinion was on ARob.  Add in that he was telling Nagy what he saw on the field and to not call a timeout makes me think Foles is maybe better suited at calling plays than Nagy.  

The dude is stoic in the pocket.  Yes he doesn’t have the mobility Mitch does but he makes up for it in play decisions like outlined above.   He stands there and throws the ball despite having a defender right in his face.  He doesn’t cringe and close his eyes (like I remember Grossman doing a lot).  The problem is, the less of a clean pocket he has could lead to his getting hurt which would really suck.  

Here is another one, when is the last time you have seen Trubisky talking to Nagy like this? Never.  Foles is telling him what he is seeing and why he was frustrated that they stopped the no-huddle which has the offense moving. After the huddle that Nagy called, they lost a bunch of yards and settled for a long FG. That was a TD drive.