Officiating

adam

Ok, so I know this goes without saying and most teams and their fans can complain about the officials, but there is no denying the Bears are on the short end of these calls more times than not. Check out some of these calls/no-calls that have cost the Bears points.

I agree.

It's crazy because those calls literally gave CAR pts or took points off the board for the Bears. That game was a blowout yet the refs did everything in their power to keep it close. That has to be exhausting for players. ARob got hit worse than the Fuller play, yet Fuller got called. Then he got called on the same hit he did against TB. 

When I went back and watched some of the previous games, the same damn thing. The Giants game had several. The game looked close, but it never was. 

So far here are the first downs by penalty:

4-4
3-0
3-2
4-2
3-2
7-3
24-13

The Bears have lost that battle every game but the first one, which was tied with the Lions. That is 24 penalties for a first down compared to 13 received. At first I was thinking that the inconsistent play was completely on the offense, but watching the games, the officiating has as much to do with that as the offense does. There have been numerous non-calls or phantom calls on the Bears to kill a drive. Then on defense, somehow the Panthers didn't hold on a single play yesterday. How is that even possible?

I am all for making every play reviewable. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Lol, I feel you bro.  However, there is holding on every play.(the NFL is big enough to assign a team to look at OL play, with the ability for NY to call the field and tell the officials to clean it up while not slowing the game)  I would love for every personal foul play to be reviewed, with the advantage going to the offender.(football is too violent of a sport to penalize the aggressor unfairly)  Also, every pass interference, or lack there of, should be challengeable like it was last year.

15 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Lol, I feel you bro.  However, there is holding on every play.(the NFL is big enough to assign a team to look at OL play, with the ability for NY to call the field and tell the officials to clean it up while not slowing the game)  I would love for every personal foul play to be reviewed, with the advantage going to the offender.(football is too violent of a sport to penalize the aggressor unfairly)  Also, every pass interference, or lack there of, should be challengeable like it was last year.

Yeah I know, just venting. It's very frustrating to watch sometimes. Like everytime there is a big play for the Bears, I am looking for a flag. It happened on the Jackson Pick-6. I just knew a flag was coming. Defenseless receiver is a subjective call. What about any flag 15 yards or more is reviewed? Those are too big to get wrong.

21 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I've been saying this for years - the refereeing in the NFL is the worst of any professional sport and it's not even close. 

Peace

this is the BIGGEST problem with the league... the rules.

the rules are so vague that nearly ANY call for holding or not holding is the correct call. the same goes for pass interference and personal fouls and many other rules which can also be interpreted any way an official wishes to call them. this is totally on the league and the owners.

add on top of that, as you say, the quality of the officials is extremely poor as seen by the mystery pass interference call on johnson. that was one of the absolute worst calls i have ever witnessed in over 50 years of watching professional football.

just ONE reason for this fiasco is that one of the richest corporations in the U.S. is so freakin CHEAP they won't hire permanent officials and rely on temporary employees to decide critical games that effect the entire league and season. what does that say for the owners and the league? that any game can be decided upon, win or lose, by a part time employee who may or may not be qualified to do his job and they have no problem with that.

It seems like this season it has been even worse.  Like Adam said it's like we've become conditioned to see a big play for the Bears and just expect to see a flag called for something to take it away.  It's more infuriating seeing that even within the game it's not called consistently,  Robinson can get mugged and no call but they call Johnson for PI?  It goes for holding, roughing the passer, and so on.  Seeing us get called for anything close to a penalty but watching our opponent get away with murder gets old.  The only game this season that had calls actually go both ways was the Bucs game and I suspect that's because the Bears and the Bucs are two of the most penalized teams and it feels like once that stigma is there officiating crews tend to follow the trend and call more penalties on you rather than try to call things fairly.  

I liked the idea last year of being able to challenge pass interference but in reality it essentially became a wasted challenge since the league would rarely reverse the call basically wouldn't admit their refs screwed up.  It'd be nice if certain penalties could be challenged but only if it's truly challengeable, meaning there's a reasonable chance of success if the video evidence shows the call was wrong or that there should have been a call and there wasn't.  Maybe limit it to impactful plays.  Like a well defended pass that gets called for PI on a 3rd and long gifting the offense get free first down plus yardage.  Or that play when Rodgers needs a hail marry pass play for a com-back and his OL is tackling D-linmen and nothing's called.  

7 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

this is the BIGGEST problem with the league... the rules.

the rules are so vague that nearly ANY call for holding or not holding is the correct call. the same goes for pass interference and personal fouls and many other rules which can also be interpreted any way an official wishes to call them. this is totally on the league and the owners.

add on top of that, as you say, the quality of the officials is extremely poor as seen by the mystery pass interference call on johnson. that was one of the absolute worst calls i have ever witnessed in over 50 years of watching professional football.

just ONE reason for this fiasco is that one of the richest corporations in the U.S. is so freakin CHEAP they won't hire permanent officials and rely on temporary employees to decide critical games that effect the entire league and season. what does that say for the owners and the league? that any game can be decided upon, win or lose, by a part time employee who may or may not be qualified to do his job and they have no problem with that.

Agreed 100% - I've also been saying they should hire FT referees, who are much younger, for years. 

Peace

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

No relation lol, but it is pretty clear that the Bears have been at the short end of a ton of calls. 

36 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The Bears are maintaining their top 5 standing in a few categories.  There is a grey lining to every cloud .  

7EF38A51-CC17-4B9F-9E3A-2B4CCEB27921.jpeg

That's 9 first downs and drives extended. (Just on PI alone.) TOP is a huge key when you have a dominant defense.  Some of the calls on Hicks have been complete BS, but he didn't have to push the limit either.  Time to clean it up.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's 9 first downs and drives extended. (Just on PI alone.) TOP is a huge key when you have a dominant defense.  Some of the calls on Hicks have been complete BS, but he didn't have to push the limit either.  Time to clean it up.

A good percentage of those were bogus or questionable calls at best. The league is not being consistent with the calls, especially holding, which is directly affecting the Bears a lot.