Saints @ Bears - Week 8 - Official Game Thread - 11/1, Bears +4, 3:25 PM CT, FOX

adam

2 hours ago, adam said:

There were two things that really stood out to me about the game, amongst a million things going on. First, why would Nagy call a timeout when the Saints have the ball at their 40 and a 3rd down up 13-3 when it looks like the Saints are content to let the clock run out and get into half? I understand the thought process of getting a stop and getting the ball back, but how realistic was that going to be with under a minute left and having the ball inside your 20? It would've been totally different if the Saints were inside their 30, but not at the 40. I thought that was too risky and sure enough, the Saints have enough time to score a TD before half and cut the lead to 3. Terrible.

Then when we are down 10 with 6:24 left, at the Saints 12. It took 3 minutes to score a TD, 3 minutes to get 12 yards. That is insane. Some of the worst clock management I have ever seen. We needed two scores, so why are wasting that much time? In those 3 minutes, the Bears ran only 6 plays, 3 runs, a pass behind the LOS to Miller (loss of 3), the Graham DPI, and the TD to Mooney. WTF was that? Then you get the ball back and now only have 1:51 left to get in FG range to tie the game. 

So now you are moving the ball and get to the Saints 49 with 1:12 left with 2 timeouts left, and you decide to RUN THE BALL for no gain, and just like that you have to burn a timeout and now only have 38 seconds left at the 47. 34 seconds, 2 yards, seriously. 

100% agree with your assessment. I was hemming and hawing in action at both of those situations.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My asks are simple after this game.  Oline needs to be evaluated more...I thought it was actually better than I expected against Saints. Outside of that - I'm tired of how cute Nagy is with his personnel usage.  

Patterson - Minimize use of entirely

Anthony Miller - This is opposite of what I said - but get him on the field more; he is one of your playmakers and can get open, so use him and use him more.  He was regularly open yesterday (including a number of times Foles didn't go to him)

Graham - If you aren't in the red zone, don't use him;

Kmet - Get him on the field a lot more and in lieu of Graham (with only possible exception being red zone area)

Remove all gadget plays from Nagy's playbook - I'm tired of all the failed gadget plays out of Nagy. Too many 2nd and 14's or 19's because of some stupid gadget play that worked terribly.  

Yeah, the Patterson experiment is over. 

Miller is only going to get better with more targets, and the way he, Mooney, and ARob all run routes, someone is definitely open on every play.

Taking Graham out in the RZ was stupid. Did you see them double him the next time? So even if he is a decoy, the other teams are accounting for him in the RZ.

With Kmet, there should be no reason he comes off the field, even in the RZ. If you bring in Graham, leave Kmet out there. That would seem to be a matchup problem, especially if you send Graham to the outside.

Yes please, just play football. You can have misdirection and motion, but get rid of the gadget plays. They don't work and most are very predictable. 

Not sure whether this belongs here but here it is.  I saw a story where Nagy was asked about what he thought Brays ability would be as a back up.  His answer was pretty much, ‘he better be ready’ (or something like that).  I thought maybe a trade was in the works... then I saw this (below) Turns out Trubiksy was injured during the one play he was in for last week. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2020/11/4/21550267/bears-mitch-trubiksy-shoulder-injury

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not sure whether this belongs here but here it is.  I saw a story where Nagy was asked about what he thought Brays ability would be as a back up.  His answer was pretty much, ‘he better be ready’ (or something like that).  I thought maybe a trade was in the works... then I saw this (below) Turns out Trubiksy was injured during the one play he was in for last week. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2020/11/4/21550267/bears-mitch-trubiksy-shoulder-injury

If you watch the play, it is very similar to how he got hurt the last time. Every time he runs, he puts his right elbow down to brace his fall. Then he gets hit and all that weight comes down on his elbow then shoulder. Same shoulder, which now makes him very injury prone. He needs to learn how to be tackled or go down to the ground safely. Not with his arms or elbows out like that. 

They also brought in a few other QBs for practice squad tryouts. I would not be surprised if they didn't put Trubisky on IR for the rest of the year. That would get him off the sideline and people wouldn't be clamoring for him anymore. Something to watch.

8 hours ago, adam said:

If you watch the play, it is very similar to how he got hurt the last time. Every time he runs, he puts his right elbow down to brace his fall. Then he gets hit and all that weight comes down on his elbow then shoulder. Same shoulder, which now makes him very injury prone. He needs to learn how to be tackled or go down to the ground safely. Not with his arms or elbows out like that. 

They also brought in a few other QBs for practice squad tryouts. I would not be surprised if they didn't put Trubisky on IR for the rest of the year. That would get him off the sideline and people wouldn't be clamoring for him anymore. Something to watch.

Gotta think that’s going to take a toll on his throwing motion and ability.  I’m guessing it was another shoulder separation?   It’s going to be difficult to move him at this rate...I mean get anything for him. Moving him off the roster will be easy.  

So...this is interesting (below).  Now Bray might be unavailable due to COVID protocol.  Foles may be all they have for Sunday...with most of the starting Oline out.  If Foles gets hurt I read elsewhere that ODonnel and Montgomery are the next in line.  Montgomery allegedly played QB in HS.  The offense is going to get slaughtered.  

*edit:  Another person on Twitter suggested that since they’ll be in Tennessee they could look to see what Cutler is up to. Allegedly he still spends a lot of time there.  

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2020/11/05/tyler-brays-availability-for-sunday-is-in-question-because-of-the-bears-covid-19-situation/