Mahomes Watson Revisited

adam

So with Trubisky done as a starter, it is interesting to see how the other guys are doing. 

Mahomes now has 4 games with less than 250 yards passing, yet the Chiefs keep winning. The more I watch his games, the more I think he would not be as effective on another team. He would still be very good, but not this good. Someone is always wide open. I don't know why our guys can't get open like that.

Watson on the other hand has 4x straight 300 yard games with multiple TD passes, yet they are 1-6. He is now 11-11 as a starter since 2019. Trubisky is 11-7 in that same period. Watson is getting a lot of garbage time stats which makes him look a lot better.  He is having a great season even without Hopkins, which is a little surprising to me. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's an easy one.

Established offensive genius HC

Better play calling

Better OL

Virtually every skill player faster than ours at respective positions.

I’d agree with this; especially in the case of Mahomes and with his set up (coaching) in KC.

Watson is in a bit of a ‘weirder’ scenario with former HC O’Brien’s sudden self-destruct scenario breaking out late last year.  One that saw Watson lose his best WR in Hopkins and some other odd occurrences.  Yet as you point out, Watson is still doing ok; despite it and his team not winning.  

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's an easy one.

Established offensive genius HC

Better play calling

Better OL

Virtually every skill player faster than ours at respective positions.

Yeah, it was a slightly rhetorical question, but you answered it. That is spot on.

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’d agree with this; especially in the case of Mahomes and with his set up (coaching) in KC.

Watson is in a bit of a ‘weirder’ scenario with former HC O’Brien’s sudden self-destruct scenario breaking out late last year.  One that saw Watson lose his best WR in Hopkins and some other odd occurrences.  Yet as you point out, Watson is still doing ok; despite it and his team not winning.  

Watson is playing against a lot of prevent defenses which are padding his stats big time. 

On 10/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, adam said:

So with Trubisky done as a starter, it is interesting to see how the other guys are doing. 

Mahomes now has 4 games with less than 250 yards passing, yet the Chiefs keep winning. The more I watch his games, the more I think he would not be as effective on another team. He would still be very good, but not this good. Someone is always wide open. I don't know why our guys can't get open like that.

Watson on the other hand has 4x straight 300 yard games with multiple TD passes, yet they are 1-6. He is now 11-11 as a starter since 2019. Trubisky is 11-7 in that same period. Watson is getting a lot of garbage time stats which makes him look a lot better.  He is having a great season even without Hopkins, which is a little surprising to me. 

Mahomes is spectacular. I don't know if he would be with Bears or not - but he has generational talent.  Watson has flaws but probably just a better will to win than Mitchell.  I always though Watson was over-rated and I'd probably put him more as a top 10 QB than a top 5 QB. He is still better than Mitch. Mitch has talent - but lacks quick decision making, that said, right system and better line, I think he could be a borderline top 10 player (like in that 8-12 range). This actually is one of those situations where if you went off raw tools - you probably would have made the right decision. Mahomes > Watson > Trubisky (with Watson/Tru being close - pedigree a lean towards Watson). 

Hard part is - people knocked Watsons for his decision making/ability to read defenses, but all that experience just made him much better than Mitchell.  I do think Mitchell's agent is probably going to play the card, look, Foles came in and didn't do squat either. That offense had zero talent, zero line and a system that wasn't catered to the QB's strengths.  Look at Tannehill and what happened between Miami & Tenn and they'll play that card with Mitch.  

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Mahomes is spectacular. I don't know if he would be with Bears or not - but he has generational talent.  Watson has flaws but probably just a better will to win than Mitchell.  I always though Watson was over-rated and I'd probably put him more as a top 10 QB than a top 5 QB. He is still better than Mitch. Mitch has talent - but lacks quick decision making, that said, right system and better line, I think he could be a borderline top 10 player (like in that 8-12 range). This actually is one of those situations where if you went off raw tools - you probably would have made the right decision. Mahomes > Watson > Trubisky (with Watson/Tru being close - pedigree a lean towards Watson). 

Hard part is - people knocked Watsons for his decision making/ability to read defenses, but all that experience just made him much better than Mitchell.  I do think Mitchell's agent is probably going to play the card, look, Foles came in and didn't do squat either. That offense had zero talent, zero line and a system that wasn't catered to the QB's strengths.  Look at Tannehill and what happened between Miami & Tenn and they'll play that card with Mitch.  

It really is a shame because I think Mitch could've been right up there between them two if he was able to read defenses. Maybe he can find a fit somewhere and redeem himself, but odds are against him. Tannehill was a little different due to injury.

In 2020, the QB with the highest AYTS (Air Yards to Sticks) is still Trubisky at 2.0, meaning he was throwing the ball 2 yards past the first down markers on average. Watson? 0. Mahomes? -1.2. Brees, the 2nd lowest in the NFL at -2.8. Trubisky's 2.0 is the highest of any QB in the last 5 seasons. All that means is Mahomes, like Brees has the skill position players to throw short of the sticks and let them do the work.