Playoff Race

adam

At 5-4, a win against MIN on MNF is the only way we have a chance at the playoffs. If the Bears lose and go to 5-5, the season is over. However, I think they win and go to 6-4 into the bye. If they do, they still have work to do in the highly competitive NFC. There is a chance that 7 teams win 10 games and the 7th team doesn't make the playoffs.

Here is the main competition for the playoffs:

1. New Orleans 7-2, currently 1st in Division, but lost Brees for several weeks. They have the tie breaker against the Bears, only 1 game against teams in the hunt. I project them no worse than 11-5, but expect 12-4 or 13-3. The Brees injury could be huge if he is out extended time.
2. Tampa Bay 7-3, currently 2nd in the Division, the Bears own the tie breaker against them, 2 games against teams in the hunt. They are going 12-4 or 13-3 unless something changes. They seem to be getting better and may take the division over NO. 
3. Arizona 6-3, currently 1st in the Division, 3 games against teams in the hunt. A slightly tougher schedule going forward. Looks like they will end up 11-5 or 10-6.
4. LA Rams 6-3, currently 2nd in the Division, 4 games against teams in the hunt, they have the tie breaker against the Bears. They have the toughest path to the playoffs. With 7 games remaining, they are projected to win 3 to 4 more, or go 10-6 or 9-7. 
5. Seattle 6-3, currently 3rd in the Division, 2 games against teams in the hunt. They have the easiest schedule of the West teams, which should put them in at 11-5 or 10-6.

The Bears have to pass only one of those teams for a playoff spot. The Bears have 2 games against teams in the hunt (both against GB). At 6-4 with 6 games remaining, the Bears will need to win at least 4 games against (GB, DET, HOU, MIN, JAX, GB). That is doable. 11-5 will guarantee a playoff spot. 10-6 will not. 

A longer shot is the division, but possible, GB still plays IND, TEN, and CHI twice. If we can at least split with them and have them lose to both IND and TEN, that would put them at 11-5 and 4-2 in the Division. If we can sweep MIN and DET and split GB, we would be 5-1 in the Division and win the tie breaker at 11-5. That is the only possible scenario for the Division unless GB loses to a few teams unexpectedly. 

Welp this didn't age well.

The season is over, at this point the team needs to tank. There is no need for moral wins to end up 8-8 and a high teens pick and missing the playoffs. What a shame too. Nagy needs to go, Pace needs to go. This team has been smoke and mirrors since all those turnovers in 2018. Outside of 3-4 games, the offense has been one of the worst in a long time. In 2018, it was the defense getting turnovers and scores and the kicker. In 2019, it was injuries. This year, they were exposed. We are closer to a 3-7 team than a 5-5 team. Considering that, we should be the underdog in pretty much every remaining game. With only 6 left, I can't see this team winning more than 1 or 2. I really hope they don't win any. That would allow the team to fire Pace, Nagy, and clean house. Bring someone else in and give them a better draft pick to start with. 

5-1 is the only way to make the playoffs, that ain't happening. 

I hate ‘tank talk’ even if the Bears were 1-9 right now.  It’s a defeatist attitude and I’m not wired that way - sorry. You must win at all cost; it ain’t over until it is.  Sure the offense looks like garbage.  But the defense is still playing to win...at least most of them are.  

Somewhere lost in all this is the effect COVID has had on the team.  Out of the gate we lost a formidable force in Goldman and unfortunately Pace did nothing of note to fill that gap.  Then as the season progressed and injuries came to a head the offensively offensive line was hit with not only injuries but players who tested positive to COVID.  At one point they had three of their starters and at least 2 of their backups unavailable.  Again that points to a depth (and preparedness) issue but still points as the main problem with Pace being where he is. 

Right now I’m not a fan of Nagys either but he’s playing with the hand he’s dealt. Sure he ain’t the best offensive mind out there but I have to believe between he and Lazor (who’s been in the league for how many years?) should be able to eek out a better offense than we’ve seen of late? Maybe after the bye and after some rest they’ll get their o-line back (such that it is) and start Trubisky for one last hurrah (and of desperation) and who knows?  ALL the teams left on the schedule aren’t that good that they can’t be beat.  Even you Adam said it early on, GB had their bye around week four (was it) and can’t run that long without hitting a pothole at some point.  

I'm not a fan of tanking and don't think it happens much in football.  Tough for me to see any of the players  on this team just quit.  I think most of the players and coaches on the Bears are to high of character people.The're putting the careers on the line thru injury and bad tape for future teams and contracts.  And coaches unless they are a lame duck and know already that they will be gone don't want to give anyone a chance to fire them.    Now, if things hit the fan.  Oh wait the already have.  I would love to see them play more of the backups to see what they have going forward.  But I don't think Nagy or pace would do that unless they know they will be here next year.   As one coach said "you play to win the games". 

I guess I worded it wrong. With 4 straight losses and a 5th on the horizon, this team is already tanking. I am just saying with the season now gone, you might as well see what you with some of the younger guys by giving them more playing time. If they play good and you win, great, but if you lose, which was probably already a given, then there is no harm in getting some of the younger guys live action to see if they can play.