NFL Playoffs

adam

I really like the new format where each conference gets an extra team. This prevents a team like the Redskins with a losing record from bumping a true playoff team like the Bears out of the dance. I also like that only the Conference regular-season champ gets a bye. That makes more sense as does a guaranteed home game for the division winners. 

Of the 6 Wild Card matchups, two are divisional games (Rams @ Seahawks and Browns @ Steelers). The Browns will have to beat the Steelers in back to back weeks to advance. All the games seem fairly even but the Bears are the biggest underdogs at -9.5. All the other games are between 3.5-6.5 pts. TEN @ BAL is a rematch (TEN won at home).

The Bears have probably the craziest path to the SB. They will have to more than likely beat the Saints, Packers, Seahawks, and Chiefs on the way to this year's Lombardi trophy. Only Indy would have a tougher path (BUF, KC, PIT, GB) if all favorites win.

The playoff QBs: Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Brees, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Smith, Tannehill, Jackson, Brady, Mayfield, Goff, Rivers, and Trubisky. Goff is the worst QB, followed by Roethlisberger, than Trubisky in QBR. Those 3 and Smith are the 4 that are not listed in the top 10 in QBR.

Only one QB finished in the top 10 in QBR and didn't make the playoffs (Fitzpatrick - MIA, who finished at 10-6).  

I do like the conf champ getting the one and only first round bye, and the extra playoff team as well.   What makes it different from last year is the #2 playing the bottom seed in the opening weekend. Where as last year the #1 and #2 got a by and the remaining 4 teams played each other opening weekend and then the following week the the #1 played the lowest advancing seed, and the #2 would play the highest advancing seed.   This puts the Colts vs Bills, and Bears vs Saints.    Which I feel is fair when you allow a 7th team per conference into the playoffs they should have a steeper task to advance.  

It certainly is a tall order for the Bears to beat the Saints to advance to the divisional round. Then likely have to beat the Packers, Seahawks all on the road in order to make it to the Super Bowl, then likely face KC.  Anything can and does happen in the playoffs but more than likely the Saints getting the Bears will amount to a 1st round bye for them.  They are beatable but not sure we have what it takes to do so.  If our D could actually play up to it's talent level then maybe.  I'll be hoping for a win but preparing for another 1 and done.

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

I do like the conf champ getting the one and only first round bye, and the extra playoff team as well.   What makes it different from last year is the #2 playing the bottom seed in the opening weekend. Where as last year the #1 and #2 got a by and the remaining 4 teams played each other opening weekend and then the following week the the #1 played the lowest advancing seed, and the #2 would play the highest advancing seed.   This puts the Colts vs Bills, and Bears vs Saints.    Which I feel is fair when you allow a 7th team per conference into the playoffs they should have a steeper task to advance.  

It certainly is a tall order for the Bears to beat the Saints to advance to the divisional round. Then likely have to beat the Packers, Seahawks all on the road in order to make it to the Super Bowl, then likely face KC.  Anything can and does happen in the playoffs but more than likely the Saints getting the Bears will amount to a 1st round bye for them.  They are beatable but not sure we have what it takes to do so.  If our D could actually play up to it's talent level then maybe.  I'll be hoping for a win but preparing for another 1 and done.

Yeah, just think if you are the Bills. You go 13-3 and get the 7th Seed Colts who are not an easy out. The Bears and Redskins are the two easiest teams in the playoffs. 

The only thing the Bears have going for them is they have nothing to lose. No one expected them to make the playoffs and the Saints are huge favorites. This will also be Trubisky's last game as a Bear, and we can expect some other changes too.

This is also some good experience for the young guys. Outside of that, I have zero expectations going into the game.