2021 Salary Cap

adam

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/19/salary-cap-could-be-in-the-range-of-180-million/

So it looks like the cap might be around $180M for 2021. That would be $4-5M more than the bottom, which would surely help out the Bears situation. 

It is crazy to think there will be teams over $30M in the hole. The Saints are $95M over the cap. Even if the cap didn't drop for 2021, they would still be $70M over the cap. Talk about some mismanagement. They may have to become serious trade partners instead of cutting and relying on dead money. Brees would cost $22M in dead money if he retires.

The Eagles are $51M over, Falcons are $32M over, and the Packers and Rams are both $22M over. So these teams are going to have to make some tough decisions before the new league year (March 17th).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

One assumes there will be a bunch of cheap one year deals for good free agents. One also assumes there may be another Tampa Bay situation where players agree to go to one team to make a run on their cheap one year deal too tho.

Also, I think whether you cut or trade, guaranteed money stays on your cap and doesn't go with the player in either scenario.

4 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

One assumes there will be a bunch of cheap one year deals for good free agents. One also assumes there may be another Tampa Bay situation where players agree to go to one team to make a run on their cheap one year deal too tho.

Also, I think whether you cut or trade, guaranteed money stays on your cap and doesn't go with the player in either scenario.

You trade the contract, so the money goes to the new team. If you cut them, you pay the dead money (all the remaining guaranteed money on the contract).

1 hour ago, adam said:

You trade the contract, so the money goes to the new team. If you cut them, you pay the dead money (all the remaining guaranteed money on the contract).

thats not true tho. The salary portion moves to the new team, but if you cut the p;layer, you dont pay the salary either, but if you trade him, the guaranteed money accelerates into your cap - you cant get rid of guaranteed money with a trade. So you can't trade cap problems away with Mack or Quinn for example.

"In terms of salary cap impact, a trade is essentially the same as releasing a player. If a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money will accelerate into the next season. For some teams, that takes certain players off the table if their signing bonuses and other prorated bonuses are large. In general, if a player's dead money charge in a given year will prevent him from being released the following year, it will also prevent him from being traded during the given season."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/why-nfl-trades-are-rare/1fwllykgo2amj1dka7oj352ah6

• 2 weeks later...

As of right now we are 10.6 mil in the hole with our cap which is listed at 190 mil. There is a chance that drops another 10 mil which puts us at 20.5 mi.

Our biggest cap saving are Fuller-11, Hicks-10.5, Graham 7, Leno 6.5, Massie 5.4, and Skine 2.7. Skine , Massie, and Graham are surely gone. 15.1 in savings. That probably doesnt even get us even with the cap. I think because of Hicks injuries and age , he gets cut. Another 10.5 (cap at +5.1) We could restructure a few contracts Mack, Foles, Goldman, Whitehair, Fuller, and Jackson. Which at best could get us another 10 mil.  Cap 15.1 mil. We need to resign some of our own FAs. O'Donell, Santos, T. Gibson, and Bush that would be above the vet min. - 5 mil from the cap. Rookie pool 5 mil. If we franchise AROB, -18 mil. 

Cap  would be 13 mil in the hole.

How is any of this even going to work? Even if I am off with the contract restructuring we have big problems. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

As of right now we are 10.6 mil in the hole with our cap which is listed at 190 mil. There is a chance that drops another 10 mil which puts us at 20.5 mi.

Our biggest cap saving are Fuller-11, Hicks-10.5, Graham 7, Leno 6.5, Massie 5.4, and Skine 2.7. Skine , Massie, and Graham are surely gone. 15.1 in savings. That probably doesnt even get us even with the cap. I think because of Hicks injuries and age , he gets cut. Another 10.5 (cap at +5.1) We could restructure a few contracts Mack, Foles, Goldman, Whitehair, Fuller, and Jackson. Which at best could get us another 10 mil.  Cap 15.1 mil. We need to resign some of our own FAs. O'Donell, Santos, T. Gibson, and Bush that would be above the vet min. - 5 mil from the cap. Rookie pool 5 mil. If we franchise AROB, -18 mil. 

Cap  would be 13 mil in the hole.

How is any of this even going to work? Even if I am off with the contract restructuring we have big problems. 

Then trade for Watson and now we are 25-30 million in the hole.  The Bears are not players in any of this.  Couple cuts and sign a few vet minimums will be the highlights as we are rolling down the hill  

I’m all in on a ‘trade for Watson’ scenario.  But realize the uphill battle the Bears face in doing it given their current financial state and frankly the state of the team with Nagy and Pace still leading the way.  

But... saw this article (below) earlier and had heard talk of it elsewhere as a ‘what if’?  Essentially it would be a three way trade deal with Houston, Miami and Chicago.  In the deal Tua would end up in Chicago and Watson in Miami; from what  I’ve read of two teams he’s interested in Miami is the more appealing to him.  I get that Tua is a bit of a risk for his injury history but I think the only reason they cut him short last season was mostly for  preservation and their season ended when they lost to the Bills in week 15 or 16(?). He comes from a reputable school in Alabama with a 1-1 championship record (similar to Watson).  He fits most of the Bill Parcell’s model of a successful transfer from collegiate to NFL success (at least three years starter in college being one  - one cut short by injury and the first abbreviated by Hurts’ lackluster performance forcing Tua to play earlier than planned).  And wouldn’t cost a whole lot in cap space - If I understand that correctly.  *edit: when I read the article the first time I thought the proposal involved the Bears giving up their 1st for 2022 not 2021.  So there’s that.  

With this trade proposal you could still get the O-line you want/need through the draft and any other complimentary players needed (to include another lower round QB).  Although it’s not clear where Mitch would end up in the scenario (doesn’t matter) you’d still have Foles available if needed.  

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/proposed-trade-deshaun-watson-tua-tagovailoa/

MT is an free agent, so he doesnt fit anywhere. I like this trade and it fits under our cap restrains this year. This would be the best haul for the Texans, the only thing we dont know is how much value the Dolphins place on Tua. If they like him, they dont need to waste any draft capital.