Cap is $182.5M

adam

The Bears were about $20M over after the Santos and O'Donnell deals. So the new conversions only get them $3M under the cap which is not even enough for the rookie pool ($4M). So we should expect more. Graham, Hicks, and Fuller are the prime candidates for restructures, trades, or cuts.

49 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Does somebody know the rules for actions done now and how can you wait until after June 1 to designate it. I think if the Wilson traded happen in the next few weeks, you cant designate it to a post June 1 trade. I always see cuts being post but you can do that with trades?

June 1st designations are only for cuts so you can apply some of the dead money to next year's cap. You can designate up to 2 players as a June 1st cut to spread any remaining guaranteed money over this year and next year, instead of having to apply the entire thing to this year's cap.  I'm not aware of an option when it involves a trade.

1 hour ago, adam said:

June 1st designations are only for cuts so you can apply some of the dead money to next year's cap. You can designate up to 2 players as a June 1st cut to spread any remaining guaranteed money over this year and next year, instead of having to apply the entire thing to this year's cap.  I'm not aware of an option when it involves a trade.

I dont know the rules around it, but one of the salary cap calculators has provisions for pre and post June 1st trades, so there must be some distinction.

10 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I dont know the rules around it, but one of the salary cap calculators has provisions for pre and post June 1st trades, so there must be some distinction.

The same rules apply, but you can't designate someone as a June 1st trade prior to June 1st like you can with cuts. If the actual trade occurs after June 1st you get that benefit:

The same rules applying to players who are released apply to players who are traded — if a team trades a player after June 1, his remaining bonus money can be spread out over two seasons. However, a club can't designate anyone traded prior to June as a post-June 1 player

Based on Fuller's contract, his seemed like the easiest to restructure, so it is odd that he was not the first one done. This leads to some speculation that he would be part of a trade package if one was brewing because that would allow the new team to benefit from his contract and the Bears wouldn't incur more dead money. Fuller+Miller+several picks for QB?

The Bears can free up about $25M+ more with Fuller (restructure), Hicks (extend/restructure/cut/trade), Robinson (extend), Quinn (restructure), Graham (extend/cut) and potentially Leno (restructure/cut/trade). That would give them around $30M for free agency or a QB trade.

IF Seattle is dumb enough to trade Wilson, why would they take big money vets to come back to them? They would clearly be rebuilding so it would only be the Smiths, or Johnsons going back. I think they extend Hicks and Fuller. That pushes the money down the road and both are still playing at a high level. They will do what they need to get the money they need but for what? They could back load a new contract for AROB, makes sense and not take all of it. For QB I think the Wilson and Watson trades are playing Fantasy football. Realistically they have to have a plan. Winston or Minchew? They need to get lucky and hit on a Tannerhill type of signing or hit on a Trask or Jones draft pick. 

55 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I read a report that said the Bears carried over about 6M in cap money from 2020. Can anyone confirm this?

Good catch, I forgot about that. So the Bears actually have $190M with carryover:

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I read everything I can find on this subject and nowhere has anyone figured that in the equation. Does the dead money carry over eliminate that ? They have 8.9 mil in dead cap money. I go to both websites, Spotrac and Over the Cap and OtheC seems more reliable. 

I also read that the Bears had 6-7 million carry over from last year.  Don't remember where or who.