Bears kicking the tires on LT?

BearFan PHX

Ok, so take this like all stories this time of year with a grain of salt, but apparently the Bears have inquired about Trent Williams. And even if it's true, it could just be doing due diligence.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/interest-offensive-lineman-trent-willaims/?fbclid=IwAR1LOSDXHaWrIgYiWf7osnv9F2ZsDq678-GGZ7Y96l2vSTVrla9jKg5SQ5o

But I hope and pray that it at least means that they realize that Leno isn't the answer. Whatever solution that may come later, Williams or not, I truly hope they finally see what has been painfully obvious to me for several years now, which is that the guy simply cannot play football at a professional level, and bears at least 25% of the blame personally for our offensive woes.

Sure Trubisky cant read a defense, and Nagy's playcalling has been awful, but each would have perhaps made a stronger case for themselves if Leno had done even a mediocre job.

Leno gets beat a lot, but the thing that drive me crazy is how often he fails to even identify which person he is supposed to be blocking. I've seen tons of plays where Leno double teamed someone while another rusher came free unblocked. It's one thing to lose a battle, but even pee wee players are able to know who they are supposed to be blocking.

Gosh I hope Leno is done in Chicago, but as Stinger proved to my disbelieving face, the powers that be at Halas Hall did not see it the same way. I really hope they finally do.

Maybe Russell Wilson is telling them he's not coming unless they upgrade the LT. Finally the consultant the Bears need LOL - or maybe theyre hearing that from multiple sources etc.

Gosh I hope they see it.

26 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Ok, so take this like all stories this time of year with a grain of salt, but apparently the Bears have inquired about Trent Williams. And even if it's true, it could just be doing due diligence.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/interest-offensive-lineman-trent-willaims/?fbclid=IwAR1LOSDXHaWrIgYiWf7osnv9F2ZsDq678-GGZ7Y96l2vSTVrla9jKg5SQ5o

But I hope and pray that it at least means that they realize that Leno isn't the answer. Whatever solution that may come later, Williams or not, I truly hope they finally see what has been painfully obvious to me for several years now, which is that the guy simply cannot play football at a professional level, and bears at least 25% of the blame personally for our offensive woes.

Sure Trubisky cant read a defense, and Nagy's playcalling has been awful, but each would have perhaps made a stronger case for themselves if Leno had done even a mediocre job.

Leno gets beat a lot, but the thing that drive me crazy is how often he fails to even identify which person he is supposed to be blocking. I've seen tons of plays where Leno double teamed someone while another rusher came free unblocked. It's one thing to lose a battle, but even pee wee players are able to know who they are supposed to be blocking.

Gosh I hope Leno is done in Chicago, but as Stinger proved to my disbelieving face, the powers that be at Halas Hall did not see it the same way. I really hope they finally do.

Maybe Russell Wilson is telling them he's not coming unless they upgrade the LT. Finally the consultant the Bears need LOL - or maybe theyre hearing that from multiple sources etc.

Gosh I hope they see it.

I think your assessment of Leno is way off.  He's a middle of the road left tackle and he will start for someone this year.

58 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think your assessment of Leno is way off.  He's a middle of the road left tackle and he will start for someone this year.

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I have seen enough tape now. I have seen at least 30 times that he totally picked the wrong guy to block. Its on YouTube to be seen, and once you see it, you wonder why these guys don't.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I have seen enough tape now. I have seen at least 30 times that he totally picked the wrong guy to block. Its on YouTube to be seen, and once you see it, you wonder why these guys don't.

I've seen it, so yes they have.  It needs to be recognized that most of the crap you saw from Leno was from him playing next to Rashad Coward.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've seen it, so yes they have.  It needs to be recognized that most of the crap you saw from Leno was from him playing next to Rashad Coward.

I dunno. What i saw was Leno taking the same guy as coward while someone else came free. And it wasnt always a result of some tricky blitz or anything, he just didn't count the number of people correctly. The center points out the Mike, so you just need to count. And it's not a subjective question, if you and someone else are double teaming a DT, and a DE (or OLB in a 3-4) rushes, and Leno just ignores him, that's gonna be a problem, even pee wee league kids learn this and perform it routinely.

The amount of mental mistakes is incredible, and then you look at his win percentage when he does engage, which makes him about average on pass protection, and bad on run blocking.

I can see why PFF rates him higher. They look at who he is blocking, whether they get in or not. And they dont, because its a double team, and they score thats a win, instead of realizing Leno should have been blocking a different guy altogether and didnt even TOUCH that guy.

It was especially apparent on running downs. The reason our rushing average was so low is that unblocked players were making tackles at the LOS. How many times did we see Montgomery with no holes at all, being tackled by someone who wasnt blocked? A lot of times it was leno blocking the wrong guy.

Now to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was the zone scheme, and leno is supposed to help and then get off to get the second guy, and maybe Coward's weakness was so bad that leno had to help too much, but either way, Leno rarely cleaned his guy in a running play, and often it was his guy that got the tackle or made the sack.

I believe he is worse than his grading shows, becasue the grading system doesnt take blowing your assignment into account, and he did that a lot more than anyone else Ive ever seen.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I believe he is worse than his grading shows, becasue the grading system doesnt take blowing your assignment into account, and he did that a lot more than anyone else Ive ever seen.

I kept stats on several games last year and that simply causes me to agree to disagree.  He was the second best OL, behind Whitehair.  Trust me, I'm no fan of his, especially after the 2019 season that he stole his paycheck. 

16 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I kept stats on several games last year and that simply causes me to agree to disagree.  He was the second best OL, behind Whitehair.  Trust me, I'm no fan of his, especially after the 2019 season that he stole his paycheck. 

Out of curiosity, how did Bars and Mustipher compare?  Of course with Daniels going out early he doesn’t really figure in.  And then there’s Ifedi who was just resigned.  

26 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Do you have anything that shows these guys played better once Mustipher took over the line calls?  I listened to Olin Kreutz say the reason the offense is working well in the last stretch was because of Mustiphers protection calls.  Maybe that is why NYC saw Leno blow many calls. 

29 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Out of curiosity, how did Bars and Mustipher compare?  Of course with Daniels going out early he doesn’t really figure in.  And then there’s Ifedi who was just resigned.  

The key to everything was when Coward was benched.  He is the worst OL I have ever watched.  He played high, tight and dumb as hell.  He made J'Marcus Webb look like Anthony Munoz.  It also coincided with Lazor taking over the play calling duties along with Mitch taking the starting job.  As you see, it's a major clusterfuck.

23 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Do you have anything that shows these guys played better once Mustipher took over the line calls?  I listened to Olin Kreutz say the reason the offense is working well in the last stretch was because of Mustiphers protection calls.  Maybe that is why NYC saw Leno blow many calls. 

See reply to Grizz...

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

The key to everything was when Coward was benched.  He is the worst OL I have ever watched.  He played high, tight and dumb as hell.  He made J'Marcus Webb look like Anthony Munoz.  It also coincided with Lazor taking over the play calling duties along with Mitch taking the starting job.  As you see, it's a major clusterfuck.

Coward was a converted DLman if I recall. Sorta like their failed experiment with Sowell.

Lost in all this is what is Juan Castillo doing during this whole mess?  I thought he was brought in to replace Harry Heistand and improve things, not make them the same or worse?  I also find it interesting two of Heistands former players at Norte Dame, Bars and Mustipher, appear to be the missing link for the oline at least on the inside.  

I was curious how the rest of the line stacked up.  And what you say with Lazor taking over about the same time the Oline  got re-tooled things stated to look better.  Agree that at this point, right now, Leno is the weak link and in huge need of replacement. 

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

could be.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

oh it sure is, on that we can ALL agree.

15 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Gosh I hope they see it.

No way they spend 20 mil for a old LT, that would be dumb. As far as ratings Leno did have a mediocre season last year . They need to just draft a LT in the first round and have a cheap contract for 5 years, not a 33 year old Williams. 

15 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Gosh I hope they see it.

I have been listening to Olins podcast and he had a OL expert( studies the OL tapes all the time) and he called Leno an average LT. That because he is so light 309 , he lunges at DEs and when he misses it looks terrible on film . He keep using the term average all the time. If you watch tape of all the LTs in the league , they all mess up. I havent did that so I will have to take the guys word for it. He has no stake in praising or condemning Leno. On saying this, we have to draft a LT this year , period.