Official Draft Picks

adam

If we end up with the trade with Seattle, maybe the signing Dalton will be acceptable for Seattle going back. That could still be in play. This years first and third were offered. That limits the draft to a second to get a OT which is possible . K L Wright is gone , I hope Ro Smith is not in the picture.

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If we end up with the trade with Seattle, maybe the signing Dalton will be acceptable for Seattle going back. That could still be in play. This years first and third were offered. That limits the draft to a second to get a OT which is possible . K L Wright is gone , I hope Ro Smith is not in the picture.

So if they keep Wilson, they have very little cap space and obviously limited draft picks. SF and ARZ both got a lot better, and with Stafford vs Goff, so did LAR. They have to know standing pat is not going to keep pace with the other teams, so the best bet is to move Wilson, get some draft picks and retool for another run. I doubt they do it but you never know.

Just looking at some draft value charts

1st - 20th
2nd - 52nd
3rd - 83rd
5th - 164th
6th - 204th, 208th, 221st, 228th

If the Bears wanted to move up with one or two of their 6th's, it would be with 204 and 208, which actually have some decent value (8.2 and 6.6). Either one of those would bump the Bears up from 164 to 146 in the 5th, or if they packaged 164+204+208, they could jump to 134 in the 4th.

Would you rather have what they have now, or:

1st - 20th
2nd - 52nd
3rd - 83rd
4th - 134th
6th -  221st, 228th

Gain a 4th, lose a 5th, and 2x 6ths. 

The other option is only using one of the 6th's and move up to around 146 in the 5th, so:

1st - 20th
2nd - 52nd
3rd - 83rd
5th - 146th
6th -  308th, 221st, 228th

This one actually feels the best, only lose one pick, but move up above the 150 line. The only solid pick I can think of is Mooney after pick 150, who was drafted at 173. So regardless of how many #200's you have, it almost seems better to move up with the 5th. 

I would still consider movement early and trading down to pick up an extra 3rd or 4th.

The rookie pool is going to be about $7M this year with 8 picks. The Bears have about $2.7M after all of the other moves. So they need to free up at least $5M to bring in the entire rookie pool. Cutting Graham saves $7M, so that seems like a no-brainer. Hicks is still a wild card with a $12M cap hit and $10.5M savings. Outside of Leno or an ARob extension that relieves some cap hit from this year, there is not much else they can do.