Goodwin

Bill

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

The bears signed Goodwin.  Another case of Pace signing players that allow him to build the roster and draft not just out of need?

yup thats exactly what this is. Pace does a good job of signing vets to fill need so he can be flexible during the draft.

Hes small but speedy - maybe he replaces Patterson as a returner?

It will be curious to see what he signed for as CPat signed for $3M. In March 2018, he signed a 3-yr $19.25M contract, so the 49ers obviously thought pretty highly of him after his 2017 season (962 Receiving Yards). He also took 2020 off due to COVID, so he should be fresh. Lastly, he is a true burner and a former track star (2012 Olympics), so even if he is 30, he can still fly.

This really makes someone like Miller very expendable. 

This is a piece that will have a few big moments and be average on other days but is much better than UDFAS at the bottom of the depth chart. Stick AROB in the slot and have Mooney and Goodwin going deep. Sounds good to me.  Speed forces defense to respect them. Anything helps. 

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

This is a piece that will have a few big moments and be average on other days but is much better than UDFAS at the bottom of the depth chart. Stick AROB in the slot and have Mooney and Goodwin going deep. Sounds good to me.  Speed forces defense to respect them. Anything helps. 

yup, if you can successfully challenge deep, it opens up the run, and takes pressure off of Dalton.

19 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think it was Wannsted that said ( on the score ( get a speed guy and throw deep 2 or 3 times a game ) and you will have a good running game.  SOMETHING LIKE THAT 

My dad said that every year from the 70's till his death in 87.  Just throw the damn ball deep a few times a game whether you have anyone who who can catch it or not.

I know adding team speed was a priority, so this makes a lot of sense. He is way better of a WR than Patterson and probably better than Miller who doesn't have that type of speed. If you add Cohen into the equation, you definitely have some matchup problems.

The challenge will be blocking long enough to get some deep shots. 

What makes teams respect the speed and the deep ball is you have to connect when it’s there. We’ve had speed but no one feared the likes of Glennon, Mitch, or Foles actually placing the ball anywhere near a receiver and even when they did your receiver would drop it.  

To make the deep game work means having an o-line that can hold their blocks long enough for the routes to develop. 

3 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

What makes teams respect the speed and the deep ball is you have to connect when it’s there. We’ve had speed but no one feared the likes of Glennon, Mitch, or Foles actually placing the ball anywhere near a receiver and even when they did your receiver would drop it.  

To make the deep game work means having an o-line that can hold their blocks long enough for the routes to develop. 

yup, and this is why I love football so much. There is no sport that is more of a team game. Every part affects every other part. It's so cool.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

He has some game. 

Oh yeah, in 2017, Week 13, he caught 8 of 8 targets for 99 yards against the Bears lol.

In a 3 game stretch starting in Week 13, he faced the Bears, Texans, and Titans, all good defenses, and ended up with 24 receptions, for 319 yds, averaging 8 receptions and over 100 yds per game. He is way better than some of the other lesser FA WRs Pace has brought in.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:52 PM, BearFan NYC said:

yup thats exactly what this is. Pace does a good job of signing vets to fill need so he can be flexible during the draft.

Hes small but speedy - maybe he replaces Patterson as a returner?

Pace had a crappy initial draft and missed on Mitch. Outside of that - Pace has been a very good drafter. In fact better than most GM's. Problem is that QB miss is huge and he's had some big misses in FA.  I am hoping he gets QB right this year and Nagy shows he can learn and it turns out the Bears have 2 really good guys running the ship. 

Probably not - but it could happen...right.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Pace had a crappy initial draft and missed on Mitch. Outside of that - Pace has been a very good drafter. In fact better than most GM's. Problem is that QB miss is huge and he's had some big misses in FA.  I am hoping he gets QB right this year and Nagy shows he can learn and it turns out the Bears have 2 really good guys running the ship. 

Probably not - but it could happen...right.  

I agree Pace has been mixed. I dont hate him, but he did whiff on Floyd, Kevin White and Trubisky, and miss on some free agents too, but the biggest indictment to me is that he chose Nagy, and also failed to replace Leno for so long.