Justin Fields' Demeanor

BearFan PHX

I was a little concerned (at first) about Fields' demeanor in the interviews. He seemed sullen, not smiling. I thought "damn maybe he isnt happy here"

So I checked out other interviews with him, and found this one after winning the Sugar Bowl with a huge performance. He's the same. Serious, joyless. Kind of intense.

If he was a game show host, I wouldn't love it. He might not be selling insurance anytime soon. But he is a tough guy, hard worker, and he seems very serious about everything. Constrast that with Mitch's goofiness, and I am not at all unhappy.

I just think, as we watch him, it's good to have some context in which to evaluate his demeanor. Im not worried any more. We might have drafted a total killer here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIj7X1uCwg

Here is a quote from an article about Fields' press conference:

(7) Fields agrees with what his college coach, Ohio State's Ryan Day, told the media Friday about how the quarterback "burns hot on the inside" but rarely shows that emotion.

"Coach Day, he's one of the coaches that knows me best, so he's definitely right about that one," Fields said. "I think the even keeled-ness comes from just me being in so many experiences involving sports situations in my life. I've played up to four sports growing up.

"So just failing at different sports, I've always tried to stay even-keeled, tried to keep my body language neutral. So I think that's just where that comes from. My dad has harped on it from when I was a little kid, just to make sure I have good body language. No matter how I'm feeling, just try not to let others see it."

Fields is all business. I love the demeanor, let's go to work! I can see the offense rallying around him immediately compared to Dalton and Foles. If Fields does have that type of mental aptitude, he is going to be the opening day starter. 

Add that with Jenkins who wants to pancake a defender on every play, and this offense is really close to being sneaky good. If they keep Miller, who knows, maybe he is a wild card and plays better catching passes from Fields. Right now though, ARob, Mooney, Miller, Goodwin, Monty, Cohen, Williams, Graham, Kmet is a pretty solid skill position group. Those would be the top 9 pass catchers, then probably Ridley or Wims. With Jenkins, the line of Leno-Whitehair-Mustipher-Daniels-Jenkins with Ifedi as a swingman, the offense is pretty solid.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Fields is all business. I love the demeanor, let's go to work! I can see the offense rallying around him immediately compared to Dalton and Foles. If Fields does have that type of mental aptitude, he is going to be the opening day starter. 

Add that with Jenkins who wants to pancake a defender on every play, and this offense is really close to being sneaky good. If they keep Miller, who knows, maybe he is a wild card and plays better catching passes from Fields. Right now though, ARob, Mooney, Miller, Goodwin, Monty, Cohen, Williams, Graham, Kmet is a pretty solid skill position group. Those would be the top 9 pass catchers, then probably Ridley or Wims. With Jenkins, the line of Leno-Whitehair-Mustipher-Daniels-Jenkins with Ifedi as a swingman, the offense is pretty solid.

I agree, we are not that far away, and maybe the defense returns to form with Goldman back?

There are a lot of reasons to be excited about this team, but I have learned from doing this too many times in May. I will wait to see it on the field!

1 hour ago, adam said:

With Jenkins, the line of Leno-Whitehair-Mustipher-Daniels-Jenkins with Ifedi as a swingman, the offense is pretty solid

Wouldn’t Bars be figured into this formula somehow?  When both he and Mustipher showed up late last year, the interior line improved ten-fold.  Any of the interior guys able to move out to OT?  

Hard to say, since we just took Borom, who is probably a guard or a swing backup. That says they arent loving their current depth. Or maybe just creating more competition at OL.