Free Agent Targets

BearFan PHX

So, now that we see a window of hope opening up, and with Nagy and Pace still scrambling to secure their jobs past whatever bubble they've created from this draft, it might be time to add some quality free agents to put us in the hunt. And there are quite a few good names still available, and since the cap shrunk, they will likely be lowish money short term deals. Especially at EDGE, DB, and OL

I just saw this, and a lot of these players could really help. Add two, and we are looking kind of dangerous.

7 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

So, now that we see a window of hope opening up, and with Nagy and Pace still scrambling to secure their jobs past whatever bubble they've created from this draft, it might be time to add some quality free agents to put us in the hunt. And there are quite a few good names still available, and since the cap shrunk, they will likely be lowish money short term deals. Especially at EDGE, DB, and OL

I just saw this, and a lot of these players could really help. Add two, and we are looking kind of dangerous.

I'd be alright with Breeland CB, Houston OLB, and Schwartz RT all on cheap 1 or 2 year deals.  Won't have the full hand next draft, so will need some FA help. 

Figuring next year they will be looking:OLB, OT, WR, CB, DT, ILB, SS.  

I don't think they scrambling to save their jobs now.  Fields gives them more time.  Obviously if they go 4-13, that would change but I don't think this is a bad team. I can see them having a winning record.  The defense will be better than last year,  Goldman is back, Johnson,  Smith, Nichols , Vildor will take a step forward.  There is 9 CBs on this squad,  someone will step  up not as well as Fuller but we will get by. Komet and a speedy WR room will improve.  Cohen will makes his presence felt. Mongomery will have better stats. And QB is better.  The oline will end up being a strength that makes everything else better.i think they will add some more FAs but only after they evaluate the players they have.  After June 1, there will be a new group of free agents to pick from.  

yes I said scrambling to ensure their jobs AFTER this bubble theyve created.

What Im saying is the window is open, and they are probably inclined to do the most with it in the shortest term they can. Not, say, willing to tank for two years as the QB develops and get high picks around him like a new coach might.

1 hour ago, adam said:

There should be a second wave of free agency coming up in the next month or so after teams get a look at some of their rookies in person and start making more post-June 1 cuts.

exactly, but even from the list of already available FA, there are some great names. With a couple more holes filled, we could be quite dangerous.

2 hours ago, adam said:

There should be a second wave of free agency coming up in the next month or so after teams get a look at some of their rookies in person and start making more post-June 1 cuts.

And checking the math, didn’t the Bears free up $9 million with the release of Leno?  In theory that equates up to 9 separate $1million “one year prove it” contracts.   

16 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And checking the math, didn’t the Bears free up $9 million with the release of Leno?  In theory that equates up to 9 separate $1million “one year prove it” contracts.   

It did, but they needed rookie pool, so probably $4-5M left for those type of deals. I figure 2-3 more and leave a couple of mil on the books for in season emergency signing.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

exactly, but even from the list of already available FA, there are some great names. With a couple more holes filled, we could be quite dangerous.

We are close. I am having a hard time finding huge holes outside CB and depth TE, but we have Trufant and Burns (who opted out last year), and the rookie Graham to test out there. 

QB - set, if Fields plays close to his college level, we have a top 10 QB with real mobility, could also trade Foles to get him off the books
RB - set, the best group in the league? Monty, Williams, Cohen, and Herbert, wow? Very little drop off and different styles. 
WR - set, with the Byrd addition, Goodwin, Newsome to go with ARob, Mooney, Miller, Ridley. There will be a battle for WR5-6 for sure.
TE - almost set, Graham/Kmet, Horsted, bring in a blocking TE and we are set.
OL - set, some quality depth with Bars, Wilkinson, and the lesser of Ifedi/Borom, battle for OL8-9

DL - stacked with Goldman back, Tonga will be fun to watch on first downs. 
LB - set, Attaochu is going to be an impact signing, Jones back for depth in the middle, UDFA Snowden will make the roster too
CB - might add another vet, but a lot of guys competing for CB2 and NB1. Still think it will come down to Trufant, Burns, Graham for CB2 and Shelley/Vildor are in the mix.6
S - set, same as last year, Gipson better than expected
ST - set, no kicker worries thankfully

What am I missing?

7 hours ago, adam said:

What am I missing?

We are missing depth at left tackle.  My personal preference would be to let our rookie season in at right tackle, as that is where his best experience is.  It is always risky to start a rookie there anyway.  Love or hate Leno, his experience will be missed.  Our depth at middle linebacker is also a concern.  Otherwise. I like it...

18 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We are missing depth at left tackle.  My personal preference would be to let our rookie season in at right tackle, as that is where his best experience is.  It is always risky to start a rookie there anyway.  Love or hate Leno, his experience will be missed.  Our depth at middle linebacker is also a concern.  Otherwise. I like it...

Put him at LT, because they always said Kyle Long could be a LT but he never made it there.  Get him trained year one on the go.  

But I thought Jenkins best fit was RT by his profile description.  

Burns got injured last year, it was Jordan lucas and Goldman that were the only 2 that opted out.  We should remember there are players on this roster that could make significant contributions.  Lucas was a decent player for KC. Blackmon could be the best DT FA signing on the  defensive line over the last 3 yrs.  Attaochu is an excellent pass rusher.  Burns and Tre Robinson have some creed before they got here. Trufant was a pro bowler once or twice.  If he can stay injury free,  he can match Fuller's play last year which was a little above average.  Jones is our best ILB signing since Kwat left. Wilkinson is a better player than Spriggs that's place he took. I still think Bars is capable of starting and could beat out IFEDI for the RT spot. Komet will have a break out year. Dont forgot Hoested can catch the ball. Ridley may actually prove his high praise he was once given.  ( maybe not). The point is,  we so easily forget people already on the roster that may be good players as we want more FAs. 

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Burns got injured last year, it was Jordan lucas and Goldman that were the only 2 that opted out.  We should remember there are players on this roster that could make significant contributions.  Lucas was a decent player for KC. Blackmon could be the best DT FA signing on the  defensive line over the last 3 yrs.  Attaochu is an excellent pass rusher.  Burns and Tre Robinson have some creed before they got here. Trufant was a pro bowler once or twice.  If he can stay injury free,  he can match Fuller's play last year which was a little above average.  Jones is our best ILB signing since Kwat left. Wilkinson is a better player than Spriggs that's place he took. I still think Bars is capable of starting and could beat out IFEDI for the RT spot. Komet will have a break out year. Dont forgot Hoested can catch the ball. Ridley may actually prove his high praise he was once given.  ( maybe not). The point is,  we so easily forget people already on the roster that may be good players as we want more FAs. 

Good catch on Burns. 

19 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I agree on LT, for ILB, we added Jones, and still have Iggy and Woods. I don't know how many more we can carry. Jones has been a starter for the last 4 years (1 with Bears), so he is a really solid depth piece at ILB.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Good catch on Burns. 

I agree on LT, for ILB, we added Jones, and still have Iggy and Woods. I don't know how many more we can carry. Jones has been a starter for the last 4 years (1 with Bears), so he is a really solid depth piece at ILB.

Forgot about Jones.  Thanks

I see a bunch of articles about adding more FAs. Am I only one that thinks we're okay? Obviously we could use a better option at CB but we have 10 on the roster.  Someone will step up. Jones is a capable spot starter at ILB.  I think Quinn will be much better than last year,  he can't be worse.  Maybe a blocking TE.  What does Darion Clark do? Is a Y or U?.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I see a bunch of articles about adding more FAs. Am I only one that thinks we're okay? Obviously we could use a better option at CB but we have 10 on the roster.  Someone will step up. Jones is a capable spot starter at ILB.  I think Quinn will be much better than last year,  he can't be worse.  Maybe a blocking TE.  What does Darion Clark do? Is a Y or U?.

Yeah, I was thinking blocking TE, but outside of that, we would have to start cutting dudes to add any more. We also have some interesting UDFAs (Snowden). 

• 4 weeks later...

Putting this here.  Former Washington Olineman Morgan Moses will be visiting the Bears tomorrow.  Several outlets have this story.  He’s a cap casualty after Washington signed former Bear Charles Leno.  Been a solid player for the last number of years. 

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bears-morgan-moses-visit-fan-reaction/

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Putting this here.  Former Washington Olineman Morgan Moses will be visiting the Bears tomorrow.  Several outlets have this story.  He’s a cap casualty after Washington signed former Bear Charles Leno.  Been a solid player for the last number of years. 

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bears-morgan-moses-visit-fan-reaction/

Good insurance that ensures we have an OL this year even if someone doesnt step up like we think they will.

Id still like to see an edge rusher, but they dont grow on trees. Maybe a CB.

2 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Good insurance that ensures we have an OL this year even if someone doesnt step up like we think they will.

Id still like to see an edge rusher, but they dont grow on trees. Maybe a CB.

We still have zero left tackle depth, with a rookie left tackle with mostly right tackle experience.

18 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We still have zero left tackle depth, with a rookie left tackle with mostly right tackle experience.

I agree. I think Jenkins will be fine there, but if he doesnt step up like I think he will, he currently have no options. Moses provides insurance.

OK, after watching some film, I have discovered that Moses plays RT, and I think he will be the starter there if we sign him. He is big, powerful, agile and plays very smart which is nice to see for once.

I saw one clip where the guy he was supposed to block peeled out into coverage leaving Moses with no one to block. THe RG had his guy locked up, so Moses just took a free shot on him, exploding on the guy and putting him on the ground. Smart.

I would love to sign Moses, he is a top 10 RT and was graded as the 15th best OT in the league last year. This would be a huge get for Pace and would be a huge upgrade at RT. With Jenkins at LT and Daniels, Whitehair, Mustipher up the middle and Ifedi as the Swing Tackle, we would have a very solid line and Borom can continue to develop and won't have to be rushed into action.

I hate PFF but: