Friday Rookie Mini-Camp

Pixote

I seldom believe all that is reported in practice sessions by the coaching staff. You never hear negatives. Everything is superlative adjectives. Every player sounds like a future hall of famer. A G.O.A.T. That is until it is time to cut the roster down.

However, on occasion you hear something that is factual and not subjective.

I find this quote from ChicagoBears.com very encouraging in regards to J Fields progress:

Fields demonstrated that he already possesses a grasp of the playbook Friday when he explained to a receiver, after a play, a route adjustment that needed to be made based on the pass coverage.

"I thought it was pretty cool," Nagy said, "that already on Day 1 Justin was going over and in a coachable and teachable way was explaining to that player, 'Hey, they changed rotation-wise. Next time that happens, you have to run this route instead of that route.' Day 1, that's pretty good."

To me, on his first day working with the team, that's amazing!

When he speaks at the podium, like recently after practice #1 or 2, he sounded like a veteran.  He says the right things.  I think he will be ready sooner than later to start, but want him to take everything he can in and learn from Dalton and Foles.  

I think Fields has the lowest bust chance of any QB in Bears history after Sid Luckman. For every other QB, there was a higher risk of them not living up to potential. It seems like, at worst, Fields will be a dependable long-term starter, and at best, a perennial All-Pro QB. For Bears fans, that just does not compute. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

I think Fields has the lowest bust chance of any QB in Bears history after Sid Luckman. For every other QB, there was a higher risk of them not living up to potential. It seems like, at worst, Fields will be a dependable long-term starter, and at best, a perennial All-Pro QB. For Bears fans, that just does not compute. 

This sure seems different doesnt it?  In a way, I feel like they got the best QB prospect in the draft. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

This sure seems different doesnt it?  In a way, I feel like they got the best QB prospect in the draft. Time will tell. 

It really does. Different than any QB I've ever known on our team.

And as for other teams, i didnt really pay attention to great QBs until they were great. SO I can say "oh yeah Tom Brady is great" or "Damn that Brett Favre is amazing" but I have never really had the experience of seeing a new rookie look so impressive, just because i dont really read the press on other teams' rookies.

Is this what being a fan of other teams is like? I like it.

10 hours ago, adam said:

Here’s to the dawn of a new era. If Fields turns out to be that perennial all pro, image a Bears QB being in the conversation of league MVP. I too think we got the QB with the lowest bust potential. It’s still hard to believe. What a difference a draft makes. Time will tell but it’s nice to finally look at the Bears future with hope. 

Every year I have hope.  The last five plus years have just beat me down.  2018 was a joy ride.  The last two just the opposite.  I love the direction this team seems to be going in.  It looks like this draft could be a turning point just like 83.  Maybe not the depth.  But some game changers.  And the one that could change everything.  I'm more optimistic than I have been for decades.  But the scars are deep and will take a long time to grow a callous over.

The main thing that excites me is that I never heard a single story about how Trubisky did anything like this, ever.  The most exciting story I heard about Trubisky, is when Pace went down to visit him and he booked the private room under the name Jim McMahon.  That's actually sad looking back...

13 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

What a difference a draft makes. Time will tell but it’s nice to finally look at the Bears future with hope. 

Not only that but they also addressed one of the other large weaknesses by drafting linemen with the 2 very next picks.  It’s like suddenly a light went on after years of guesswork.  

I didn’t regard Fields as high as everyone else right away.  I only saw limited play in his games against Nebraska (who doesn’t beat them anymore?) and during the BLS (or whatever it’s called now) championship last year where he didn’t do so well.  What I didn’t know was that he played hurt and had a whole lot more to him than just that game.  I did see him play against Clemson the week before and where he got clocked, but apparently forgot about it and that he almost literally jumped right back into that game.  Coming out about his epilepsy just before the draft took some cajones and now that he’s under the Chicago Bears microscope even more, I really like what I see and hear.  

16 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The main thing that excites me is that I never heard a single story about how Trubisky did anything like this, ever.  The most exciting story I heard about Trubisky, is when Pace went down to visit him and he booked the private room under the name Jim McMahon.  That's actually sad looking back...

It really is sad.  I’m tired of looking to the past to find success. We’ve been looking back at 85 for 36 years. I remember that teams comments about finally getting the monkey off their backs about the 63 team being the last championship.

The difference between Trubisky and Fields is night and day.  Both got a big reaction from the fan base  Mitch was a groan Fields made us want to dance in the streets.

On 5/16/2021 at 7:55 PM, Mongo3451 said:

Lets not forget that Trubisky's first ever preseason game he came in and completed like 12 straight passes and looked absolutely phenomenal.  I like Fields more than Trubisky as a prospect, but just want to remind people, outside of irritation on trading up to get him, he was highly touted etc.  The noticeable difference I have is Mitch was more Glennon is the guy etc. Mitch was good guy, good teammate, hard worker, etc....Fields is all of those things plus he has more of that "it" factor and obviously more experience having that pressure on him (pretty much his whole career). He exudes that - I want to be the best and that, combined with his experience and better athleticism (Trubs was a good athlete - but Fields is even better) - is why I am so fired up about this kid. 

Another thing Fields exudes is confidence.  Mitch looked scared to make a mistake most of the time.  Justin looks at the game with the mentality of we are going to attack and exploit you.  Plays with confidence, and a killer instinct.  Mitch's limited abilities, experience and fear of screwing up made him timid, and unsure of himself.  Good kid, good teammate, just not a leader at the QB position that you need to win in this league. 

On 5/19/2021 at 1:04 PM, BearFan2000 said:

Another thing Fields exudes is confidence.  Mitch looked scared to make a mistake most of the time.  Justin looks at the game with the mentality of we are going to attack and exploit you.  Plays with confidence, and a killer instinct.  Mitch's limited abilities, experience and fear of screwing up made him timid, and unsure of himself.  Good kid, good teammate, just not a leader at the QB position that you need to win in this league. 

Mitch's look was confusion.

The consensus is that Fields looked good, pretty much high marks on everything observable.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-rookie-minicamp-justin-fields-passes-test-first-practice

Trubisky also saw praise after his rookie minicamp, but very few reporters identified what those things were. They just said he looked the part. However, he was fumbling snaps, throwing interceptions, etc in that camp. Fields completed every pass but one which was a drop. Mitch was still trying to go from 101 to 102 after several years in the league. Fields may do it this offseason.