Fields signs rookie deal

adam

12 hours ago, adam said:

Fields signs rookie deal, no offset language, which is nice. 

Because I’m lazy and I know you know this stuff, how does this compare to other 1st round QBs?  Is this pretty ‘norm’ these days? I ask as it doesn’t seem as he held out whatsoever and wondered what the going rate was.  Is his deal higher, lower, about average? 

And I assume like any other rookie he has the fifth year option?  

11 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Because I’m lazy and I know you know this stuff, how does this compare to other 1st round QBs?  Is this pretty ‘norm’ these days? I ask as it doesn’t seem as he held out whatsoever and wondered what the going rate was.  Is his deal higher, lower, about average? 

And I assume like any other rookie he has the fifth year option?  

Yes, The Bears will have a fifth year option that they can exercise, and I pray Fields plays so damn good he earns a new contract before his fifth year.

The amounts first round draft picks are slotted by the NFL & NFLPA CBA. Here is an interesting link that shows this years 1st round slotting:

NFL Rookie Contracts for 2021 First Round Selections

The fact that there is no offset language means that he will get his guaranteed money even if he is released before the end of his 4th year, allowing him to double-dip (getting paid full amount of guaranteed money by the Bears without the amount being reduced because of his new teams contract.)

5 hours ago, Pixote said:

I pray Fields plays so damn good he earns a new contract before his fifth year.

Amen!

and... his whole contract at just under $19 million is just about half what Trey Lance Zach Wilson will be making?  Amazing...  Fields is unquestionably more talented than both those guys. 

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Amen!

and... his whole contract at just under $19 million is just about half what Trey Lance Zach Wilson will be making?  Amazing...  Fields is unquestionably more talented than both those guys. 

I rated fields as the best QB in the draft.  You all know how valuable info is coming from me since I also rated Trubisky highest in his draft ?.  If I can get to even, I'd be more than ecstatic.  ????

12 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I rated fields as the best QB in the draft.  You all know how valuable info is coming from me since I also rated Trubisky highest in his draft ?.  If I can get to even, I'd be more than ecstatic.  ????

hahahaha well said!

Offset language is what ties up rookie deals, so it is nice that the Bears didn't try to get cute with Fields. They are only paying him his slot (#11), which is a steal. What the Vikings will pay Cousins this year for 11 games is equal to 4 years of Fields. Crazy.

1 hour ago, adam said:

They are only paying him his slot (#11), which is a steal.

Thought he was #11(?). But... was curious to see how our last 1st round pick compared.  LB Roquan Smith picked 8th overall in 2018 signed a deal very similar to what Fields’ was (~$18 million). If you consider Smith was 8th overall (to Fields’ 11th) , is an LB and Fields a QB and that Roquan held out for his deal (?) then not only was Fields’ deal a steal but also Fields himself is ready to get to work and not mess around.  

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Thought he was #11(?). But... was curious to see how our last 1st round pick compared.  LB Roquan Smith picked 8th overall in 2018 signed a deal very similar to what Fields’ was (~$18 million). If you consider Smith was 8th overall (to Fields’ 11th) , is an LB and Fields a QB and that Roquan held out for his deal (?) then not only was Fields’ deal a steal but also Fields himself is ready to get to work and not mess around.  

Yeah, typo, it is the 11th slot.

The fact that we got him outside of the top 10 is huge.

Also consider Trubisky got $29M for 4 years and Fields will only get $19M. Trubisky's signing bonus was more than Fields entire contract, think about that.