Tarik Cohen status

adam

I don't know how I missed this, but there have been multiple reports about Cohen not looking very good:

June 16th and July 9th. Both reports say he was walking stiff, etc. He tore his ACL in late September, so we are 9 months post injury/surgery. From reading articles, that is about the time most athletes come back from the injury. With less than 2 months until the season, there is a chance he may not be ready Week 1. 

Something to monitor, because Cohen's entire game revolves around his ability to change direction and his lateral quickness. If he can't do that as well, his value drops to almost zero. 

Last year I would have been concerned but with our current group of RBs, I think we will be fine. Hopefully this will allow him to recover fully without a need to return to action before he is ready. I like our FA signing from KC and our draft pick at RB sounds promising.

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

Ive heard a few pods that have mentioned he might start the season the pup list.

Wow, that would put him out the first 6 weeks. 

The media really hasn't mentioned this much. If that is the case, someone like Herbert is a lock for the roster.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Last year I would have been concerned but with our current group of RBs, I think we will be fine. Hopefully this will allow him to recover fully without a need to return to action before he is ready. I like our FA signing from KC and our draft pick at RB sounds promising.

I agree, i dont think Cohen is that important to this offense, and it may help clarify the running game with one less mouth to feed.

I think all of this information was all based on the OTAs , where he was there but not participating. I dont know the length of recover for his surgery but it will only matter in a few weeks. Someone coming off of surgery is going to taken cautiously until training camp. Just people just trying to find something to write about.

47 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think all of this information was all based on the OTAs , where he was there but not participating. I dont know the length of recover for his surgery but it will only matter in a few weeks. Someone coming off of surgery is going to taken cautiously until training camp. Just people just trying to find something to write about.

You mean like all of us. :lol: If for no other reason, I can't wait until training camp and preseason games start so we will have fresh topics to discuss. If it hadn't been for the kick-ass draft we had this year, this board would be a ghost town waiting for the season to start.

18 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I agree, i dont think Cohen is that important to this offense, and it may help clarify the running game with one less mouth to feed.

Agree on all, but I think including Cohen more is a good idea, and his absence in the offensive game plan highlights Nagy’s inadequacies.

9 hours ago, jason said:

Agree on all, but I think including Cohen more is a good idea, and his absence in the offensive game plan highlights Nagy’s inadequacies.

I thought one of Nagy's issues was spreading the ball around too much in the running game, and not letting Montgomery get into a rhythm.

I hope he gets better at this, but i feel like Nagy is a smart coach in each play, but doesnt really put it together into rhythm. Hope he proves me wrong.

That is in question, I  think the offense produces consistently and we have an upturn in number of plays which could still give Montgomery 20 touched a game. KC have always had a good running game to go with their passing attack. I think Nagy will be able to run the offense he wants to this yr. 

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That is in question, I  think the offense produces consistently and we have an upturn in number of plays which could still give Montgomery 20 touched a game. KC have always had a good running game to go with their passing attack. I think Nagy will be able to run the offense he wants to this yr. 

I hope so, but Nagy wasnt the playcaller in KC, Reid was, and when Nagy got the reigns, he didn't do so well, including an early playoff exit in which all agreed he had gotten away fromt he running game, a problem we've see here too.

Now for sure, you have a sympathetic ear with me to the argument that the OL was so bad at moving people Nagy HAD to abandon the running game, and that is a fair point, and I do hope he shows us something different this year.

But until we see it, Taking one of Nagy's trick gadgets away from his running game might help clarify it a bit and give it some rhythm, so there may be a silver lining to Cohen's possible early season absence?

The term "Talk is Cheap..." certainly applies when listening to off-season NFL analysis.

However, I found this article encouraging, and would like to believe it is true:

No, Matt Nagy does not hate running ball, that's fake news

I truly believe that Montgomery will easily surpass 1000 yards rushing,

despite Fields joining him with 500+ yards rushing to compliment his 4000 yards passing.

(And no, I don't drink alcohol, take drugs, or smoke pot. I do consume a lot of Bears' Kool-Aid. :lol:)

Well we surely failed to have an identity running the ball last year, but that may well be the fault of the OL.

I'm not really talking about attempts, I'm talking about a rhythm. No one can really say we've seen Nagy's bears establish any kind of rhythm in the running game as of yet. I truly hope we see it this year, and like I said, I am very willing to believe that it was the poor performance of the OL that caused it, just as I am willing to think that Trubisky is what caused the failue of Nagy's passing game.

But we havent seen it yet. We do have an offensive roster that seems pretty good, and so I hope this is the year Nagy proves it to us, but until he does, it is fair to say that we havent seen it yet in at least the last two years from Nagy.

I think people totally miss what Cohen brings to the table; he is basically a slot receiver out of the backfield. Did anyone know that he finished in the top 30 in the NFL for receptions in both 2019 and 2018? That was partly because of Trubisky, but he was a very reliable outlet for the QB. He creates a lot of mismatch issues for the defense because if he is in the backfield, the defense runs out a LB, then they send him out wide and it is basically an auto reception. 

He had 79 receptions in 2019 (22nd in NFL and 4th for RBs) and 71 in 2018 which led the team (30th in NFL and 6th for RBs). 

Mooney ultimately replaced those in 2020, so we will see what that will look like this year if Cohen is out again. 

Another interesting note is that the Bears signed Cohen to a top 10 RB contract, I always thought that was high, but if they viewed him more as a slot WR, then that makes more sense. If not, that was a very big overpay for an RB2. Depending on how things go, he may end up as a cap casualty (after 2022) when they need to pay Monty in 2023.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think 4 yr 17.5 mil is a top 10 contract. The last 2 yrs don't have guaranteed money left. According to over the cap website. I think they probably paid for past performance but not a terrible contract.

10th by overall value and 12th by AAV: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/running-back/limit-30/

I am seeing $1.75M left in 2023 and $3.5M left in 2022. I guess it just depends on how you view him in this offense. 

I just hope he didn't lose any agility or change of direction ability as that was his only A+ trait.

So they can be activated any time during camp, however, if it goes into the season, he will have to miss the first 6 weeks of the season. 

It looks like Dazz Newsome will also be on the PUP list for training camp. Hopefully, he will get back in a few weeks because the Bears have preseason games in 3-5 weeks.