Been on vacation...

madlithuanian

I've been on vacation from Bears chat because I needed a break from the idiocy of how our team is run.  I even wrote George McCaskey a letter at the end of the season to express my unapproval for how the team is run by Nagy and Pace.  None of that has changed.  What did change is we drafted Justin Fields.  He's a football player and game changer.  Pace did nothing but get lucky with him falling far enough to take him.  He still has yet to help much drafting the O all the while giving up picks and depth.  I feel we are never going to get over the hump with Pace and Nagy.  Fields can still be great, but he can't change every playcall Nagy makes at the LOS.  I see this team can be the Doug Collins' Bulls.  We have the talent at QB, but we need coaches that actually give our WR's and QB's a boost, not just hinder them.  The defense is getting old and we will lose Hicks soon.  Maybe Mack.  It's OK.  As long as we have a better GM not giving away picks to reach for guys every year... 

I expect a 6-11 season, no matter id and when Fields plays.  Our opponents are tough this season, our OL and secondary are weak.  It's a recipe to be middling.

I'm OK with that.  We have Fields.  Now we need the right GM to build around him and the right coach to build a gameplan around him.  Not have Nagy force him into his fantasy gameplan that even Joe Montana probably couldn't run.

1 minute ago, madlithuanian said:

I've been on vacation from Bears chat because I needed a break from the idiocy of how our team is run.  I even wrote George McCaskey a letter at the end of the season to express my unapproval for how the team is run by Nagy and Pace.  None of that has changed.  What did change is we drafted Justin Fields.  He's a football player and game changer.  Pace did nothing but get lucky with him falling far enough to take him.  He still has yet to help much drafting the O all the while giving up picks and depth.  I feel we are never going to get over the hump with Pace and Nagy.  Fields can still be great, but he can't change every playcall Nagy makes at the LOS.  I see this team can be the Doug Collins' Bulls.  We have the talent at QB, but we need coaches that actually give our WR's and QB's a boost, not just hinder them.  The defense is getting old and we will lose Hicks soon.  Maybe Mack.  It's OK.  As long as we have a better GM not giving away picks to reach for guys every year... 

I expect a 6-11 season, no matter id and when Fields plays.  Our opponents are tough this season, our OL and secondary are weak.  It's a recipe to be middling.

I'm OK with that.  We have Fields.  Now we need the right GM to build around him and the right coach to build a gameplan around him.  Not have Nagy force him into his fantasy gameplan that even Joe Montana probably couldn't run.

It is a mixed bag with Pace. This is why the team is always 8-8. At some point there needs to be an improvement, not just treading water. 

I really don't like the Jenkins signing now. If there were medical concerns, there is no way you pick him in the 2nd with Eichenberg, Cosmi, and Radunz still on the board for OL help. Now you are lucky to get 3 years out of him on the rookie deal. 

Asante Samuel Jr. would've been a super smart pick at #39 which would've filled the hole left by Fuller. Then all you would have to address was LT which you could potentially have done with Morgan Moses. If Peters works out, great, but Pace did not have a plan for Fuller, Leno, or Special Teams. The team still doesn't have a Punt Returner. So what was the plan?

4 minutes ago, adam said:

It is a mixed bag with Pace. This is why the team is always 8-8. At some point there needs to be an improvement, not just treading water. 

I really don't like the Jenkins signing now. If there were medical concerns, there is no way you pick him in the 2nd with Eichenberg, Cosmi, and Radunz still on the board for OL help. Now you are lucky to get 3 years out of him on the rookie deal. 

Asante Samuel Jr. would've been a super smart pick at #39 which would've filled the hole left by Fuller. Then all you would have to address was LT which you could potentially have done with Morgan Moses. If Peters works out, great, but Pace did not have a plan for Fuller, Leno, or Special Teams. The team still doesn't have a Punt Returner. So what was the plan?

Well said.  He's just good enough and just bad enough.  We need better. 

I think we have one of the oldest, if not THE oldest roster in the league.  That does not bode well.  Means lack of depth and if you swing and miss as often and Pace does, it sets you back even further.

26 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Welcome back!  And amen.  Only Pace could trade up for an OL in the deepest draft ever for OL.  He's traded away two and a half drafts and counting.  He's unacceptable.

The only saving grace is that we will have a ton of cap space next year and can shed some of the older guys, thus reducing the team age considerably. Next offseason would be the perfect time for a new GM and HC. Fields in his second year and cap space to build around him.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Next offseason would be the perfect time for a new GM and HC. Fields in his second year and cap space to build around him.

I don't know man.  If they are fired, it means Fields and the defense underperformed.  With minimal draft picks, how do you rebuild?  New GM would have to come in and gut it out with a terrible team, while waiting for the next year's draft.  Pace has done this organization a huge disservice.  Not enough hits in the draft with stars.

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't know man.  If they are fired, it means Fields and the defense underperformed.  With minimal draft picks, how do you rebuild?  New GM would have to come in and gut it out with a terrible team, while waiting for the next year's draft.  Pace has done this organization a huge disservice.  Not enough hits in the draft with stars.

It really is just a first-rounder next year as they gave up a 4th for Fields but got back a 5th for Miller. So they have a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, and a 6th. All they need to do is move down once to gain another pick. I am sure Foles will be traded before the deadline, hopefully for at least a 6th.

However, if they get rid of Quinn, Graham, Trevathan, and Hicks, they will have a ton of space, one of the highest in the league, to bring in some younger blue chip guys coming off rookie deals. 

21 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Welcome back!  And amen.  Only Pace could trade up for an OL in the deepest draft ever for OL.  He's traded away two and a half drafts and counting.  He's unacceptable.

Thanks!  Oh man, he's constantly leveraging the now (and making a poor decision at it) for the future.

1 hour ago, adam said:

It really is just a first-rounder next year as they gave up a 4th for Fields but got back a 5th for Miller. So they have a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, and a 6th. All they need to do is move down once to gain another pick. I am sure Foles will be traded before the deadline, hopefully for at least a 6th.

However, if they get rid of Quinn, Graham, Trevathan, and Hicks, they will have a ton of space, one of the highest in the league, to bring in some younger blue chip guys coming off rookie deals. 

I have no problem losing a pick to get Fields.  That's a franchise altering choice.  Jenkins?  Not so much. 

I fear those deals on the old men of Quinn Graham, Trevathan and Foles will hurt us with cap penalties next year due to how we rearranged the deals.

4 hours ago, adam said:

Here we go again with free agents.  If other teams don't sign their own blue chip free agents, it means they don't want them or we overpaid.  Free agents should be icing on the cake or depth pieces, not the meat and potatoes.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Here we go again with free agents.  If other teams don't sign their own blue chip free agents, it means they don't want them or we overpaid.  Free agents should be icing on the cake or depth pieces, not the meat and potatoes.

Exactly!  Hoping to fill holes with cast offs that are expensive and old isn't how championship franchises do things...

It is different if you are letting your rookies walk and paying for others. That is not the case. We have a young drafted core of Fields, Monty, Cohen, Herbert, Kmet, Horsted, Mustipher, Whitehair, Daniels, Mooney, Goldman, Nichols, Smith, Johnson, and Jackson. If Gipson steps on the Edge, that covers across from Mack, then you have Vildor/Shelley in one of the DB spots. You then fill in the rest with rookies, some key free agents and some league minimum guys like James and Ogletree. 

And I'd add that we do have a few FAs currently on the roster that are definitely keys to the team's overall success; Trevathan, ARob and Hicks among them.  Jimmy Graham (one of the aforementioned "old guys") was the leading reciever with 9 TDs last season.  Oh and he just restructured his contract to help with the cap relief.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/gm-report/bears-restructure-jimmy-grahams-contract