Week 2 Official Game Thread - CIN @ CHI , -3, O/U 45, SUN 9/19, 12:00PM CT - FOX

adam

These teams are fairly even going into this game. Mixon vs Monty. Red Rider Revenge Game.

To me it comes down to execution. If the Bears players play up to expectations, the Bears win by 10. If they play how they did last week, they lose by at least 7. I am hoping for more Fields, just put the kid in already. I have really soured on Nagy and it feels like he is over his head and needs to give up playcalling.

Bears 24-20. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost total faith in Nagy as a OC and play caller.  I have not seen any evidence of him able to create a scheme and have a game plan and play calling to optimize their best players  How often does a coach pull his best offense player after he runs for 41 yards.  Whould you pull Payton, Sanders, Faulk, Smith, on and on.  Your Rookie QB comes in and runs one nine yard pass to the one.  He then takes him out for the mobile Dalton.  He then has the smallest player, Byrd, to come in and block on some stupid shovel pass Thant ends up getting your LT rolled up on after losing your starting LT.  The QB whisper'er has not done anything to whisper to a QB and the that playe improver.  Oh he has a plan, and he helped Mahomes into a future HF.  I think that happened despite of him.  I don't believe it matters who he starts, tor ties o coach up. He is at best a 50-50 coach,.why should anyone believe in him to turn Fields into a franchise QB and not Ryan Leaf. 

I was watching Chris Carter on GMFB Thursday and he ripped Dalton in a fun sorta way.  Basically, said he cost him 25k in a Pro Bowl game he was coaching because he was reluctant to drive his throws downfield.  He then went on to state that it occurs when QB's get older and are not willing to take the hits anymore.  It seems fitting seeing we didn't have a completed pass over 10 yards, with 13 yards being the longest attempt.  If he doesn't push the ball this week, I'm afraid Nagy will put Fields in before he is ready.  Meaning, the plan they put in place will have already failed.

Some interesting things about Dalton stats-wise. He is progressively worse in splits from his own goal line to the opponents. I don't think I have ever seen splits so clean like that. His completion percentage goes from 69.86% when inside his own 10 down to 50% when inside the opponent's 10.  The same for yards to go. He is actually better when there are more yards to go than less. He is actually a terrible short passer. When it is 3 or less yards to go, he completes only 56.98% of his passes and only has 68 first downs out of 257 completions and 451 attempts. So he only converts a pass with 3 or less yards to go into a first down 6.6% of the time, once every 15 tries. That is brutal! 

Dalton also gets worse as the game goes on. His highest completion % and rating is in the 1st quarter and lowest in the 4th quarter. 

The more I think about his usage, the more I think it is Pace telling Nagy to start Dalton so they don't lose face with other potential free agents about promises. How about stop promising players starting gigs until they earn it. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

The more I think about his usage, the more I think it is Pace telling Nagy to start Dalton so they don't lose face with other potential free agents about promises. How about stop promising players starting gigs until they earn it. 

Chris Carter talked about that too and said that is a real thing.  He also talked about the fine line of, "ok, you kept your promise, now let's go!"  The line will be clear today, as we are supposed to beat the Bengals.  If not, there will a fly in the soup...

On 9/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, Mongo3451 said:

I was watching Chris Carter on GMFB Thursday and he ripped Dalton in a fun sorta way.  Basically, said he cost him 25k in a Pro Bowl game he was coaching because he was reluctant to drive his throws downfield.  He then went on to state that it occurs when QB's get older and are not willing to take the hits anymore.  It seems fitting seeing we didn't have a completed pass over 10 yards, with 13 yards being the longest attempt.  If he doesn't push the ball this week, I'm afraid Nagy will put Fields in before he is ready.  Meaning, the plan they put in place will have already failed.

Nagy only put 3 plays in downfield and Dalton threw short. I think because of the question at LT the game plan was flawed which falls on Nagy. If Fields was there , you could role him to the right away from the problem spot, the problem was Dalton is stuck in the pocket. Another flaw was the East -West play calling for running, with shaky OTs you need to push north-south. The biggest problem with Nagy is he is a system guy and isnt changing anything because of personal. He's biggest failure. 

Great first drive. A huge Defensive PI call (easy call) which would've been a catch if Goodwin wasn't pushed before the ball got there. Dalton looked good, not much of a running game, but you can't complain much with an opening TD drive to start the game. 

5 minutes ago, adam said:

The Bears stop the Bengals on 3rd Down and Gipson gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for taunting to give them a first down, WTF!

Seemed like a chicken shit call.  I understand the rule but still.  Of course then a few plays later he (Gipson) was way to soft on coverage resulting in a first down catch. 

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sloppiest 1st quarter I’ve seen in a long time.  Fortunately Cincy was sloppier. 

Refs calling too many ticky tack things. Then don't call DPI on Apple who went over the back of Goodwin on the Fields pass. 

Monty with a beautiful juke on the big play called back.