Bears Coaches In Denial

BearFan PHX

So, watching Nagy talk, and then Lazor today, here's what I'm hearing.

I'm hearing a staff that thinks they are heroically taking the blame to shield their players, while they think that their scheme would have worked and players just didnt make plays.

But guys, you only kept back 5 guys to protect on most passing plays, didn't roll Fields out, didn't run screens or draws or any of the other regular Xs and Os things that work against a pass rush that's coming too strong.

If your point is that if you had a Pro Bowler at every spot who could handle anything one on one that then you could dictate all kinds of fancy problems for the defense, so you just run THAT game plan and then tell yourselves that your players failed, and congratulate yourself for being SO cool that you take the blame for it in press conferences, then you ARE the problem.

This is not a video game. This is the NFL with real players. And the thing is, the BASIC football ideas I'm talking about, the ones that serve as rock against the scissors of a strong pass rush; screens, draws, traps, counters, options, bubble screens, rollouts, keeping extra guys in to protect etc etc are basic adjustments coaches make on the sidelines during the game at every level including pee wee football. You dont even need halftime for that. It's called game planning and play calling. You gonna tell me you didnt forsee that the Cleveland front might beat up your OL? Really?

And when has Nagy ever been a great play caller? He didnt call plays in KC until the last year, and then was credited with being the reason they made an early playoff exit (same team went to the super bowl the next year) for - wait for it - failing to get the run game going or calling plays in rhythm.

This guy is a JOKE. I was talking about firing him LAST year in mid season, saying you need to find out who your players are so you can be productive in the offseason. It's the same problems; play calling, no run game, bad protection, poor offense EVERY single year. It was Glennon's fault, no it was Trubisky's, I mean Nick Foles, wait no its Andy Dalton, no its Justin Fields.

No. It is YOU Matt Nagy. Someone fire this clown or let the firings continue up the ladder all the way to Virginia until SOMEONE makes a freakin' change. meaning if Pace wont fire Nagy, then Get Ted to fire Pace and Nagy, and if he wont do it, then Virginia needs to fire him.

THIS is pathetic. Fire Nagy now, put in Pettine as interim HC. Do it now Pace, or you should be gone too, and probably already are anyway.

Seriously. Screens slow down pass rushes. Didnt you know that? wtf

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

So, watching Nagy talk, and then Lazor today, here's what I'm hearing.

I'm hearing a staff that thinks they are heroically taking the blame to shield their players, while they think that their scheme would have worked and players just didnt make plays.

But guys, you only kept back 5 guys to protect on most passing plays, didn't roll Fields out, didn't run screens or draws or any of the other regular Xs and Os things that work against a pass rush that's coming too strong.

If your point is that if you had a Pro Bowler at every spot who could handle anything one on one that then you could dictate all kinds of fancy problems for the defense, so you just run THAT game plan and then tell yourselves that your players failed, and congratulate yourself for being SO cool that you take the blame for it in press conferences, then you ARE the problem.

This is not a video game. This is the NFL with real players. And the thing is, the BASIC football ideas I'm talking about, the ones that serve as rock against the scissors of a strong pass rush; screens, draws, traps, counters, options, bubble screens, rollouts, keeping extra guys in to protect etc etc are basic adjustments coaches make on the sidelines during the game at every level including pee wee football. You dont even need halftime for that. It's called game planning and play calling. You gonna tell me you didnt forsee that the Cleveland front might beat up your OL? Really?

And when has Nagy ever been a great play caller? He didnt call plays in KC until the last year, and then was credited with being the reason they made an early playoff exit (same team went to the super bowl the next year) for - wait for it - failing to get the run game going or calling plays in rhythm.

This guy is a JOKE. I was talking about firing him LAST year in mid season, saying you need to find out who your players are so you can be productive in the offseason. It's the same problems; play calling, no run game, bad protection, poor offense EVERY single year. It was Glennon's fault, no it was Trubisky's, I mean Nick Foles, wait no its Andy Dalton, no its Justin Fields.

No. It is YOU Matt Nagy. Someone fire this clown or let the firings continue up the ladder all the way to Virginia until SOMEONE makes a freakin' change. meaning if Pace wont fire Nagy, then Get Ted to fire Pace and Nagy, and if he wont do it, then Virginia needs to fire him.

THIS is pathetic. Fire Nagy now, put in Pettine as interim HC. Do it now Pace, or you should be gone too, and probably already are anyway.

Seriously. Screens slow down pass rushes. Didnt you know that? wtf

Spot on!  I doubt Nagy and his band of clowns could take a pro bowl roster and make his "scheme" (Aka - collection of plays that don't build off anything) work.

1 hour ago, madlithuanian said:

Spot on!  I doubt Nagy and his band of clowns could take a pro bowl roster and make his "scheme" (Aka - collection of plays that don't build off anything) work.

I think Nagy might be on to something super creative with his combinations of 5 man routes. But it doesnt matter. It'd be like developing a whole bunch of genius picks and double moves that occur 40 yards downfield. Your QB just wont be on his feet when the time comes for the payoff.

The fact is, this isn't a Madden video game. You gotta be able to muscle the ball on a run to get 4 yards instead of 3. That's football first, and this light weight has no conception of it.

I think his time as an arena league QB hurt him. He just doesnt understand the line or the running game.

53 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's just Nagy.  His staff has to eat it and follow suit.

probably. maybe. but we have no evidence they arent caught up in it either.

Of course I will be rooting for Lazor to succeed. But i wont be shocked if he doesn't.

The Bears game plan. All three QB's will be standing on the side lines throwing footballs with helmets on. Nagy, Lazor and Defilipo. Each coach will be standing next to each QB's with a play sheet over their mouths and when the flip is won or the first off. play is to be called they will open one of the three doors to announce the winners.

7 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I think Nagy might be on to something super creative with his combinations of 5 man routes. But it doesnt matter. It'd be like developing a whole bunch of genius picks and double moves that occur 40 yards downfield. Your QB just wont be on his feet when the time comes for the payoff.

The fact is, this isn't a Madden video game. You gotta be able to muscle the ball on a run to get 4 yards instead of 3. That's football first, and this light weight has no conception of it.

I think his time as an arena league QB hurt him. He just doesnt understand the line or the running game.

I actually think it's defenses he doesn't understand.  IMO play calling is about knowing your team's weaknesses and utilizing your team's strengths while staying away from the other team's strength and exploiting their weaknesses.  I get adding in the occasional element of surprise, not being one dimensional and so forth but there should be some signs you are seeing that make you think it will work before you handoff to Patterson on 4th and short while Montgomery is sitting on the bench.      3-step drops and quick reads, or quick reads out of the shotgun are not Field's strength right now.  OTOH pass rushing a fixed target is Cleveland's strength.   Forget even the read-option I'd have been happy with some actual delayed running plays with Fields.   Just snap it to him and let the pass rushers into designed lanes and open a hole for him to run.  Just doing that a couple times will make them hesitate a bit as they take their first step.  I've seen that done a bunch of times with Lamar Jackson and it seems to me that would have been super easy to do as hard as they were coming off the edge.  

This is the whole chess vs checkers theory, but Nagy is playing Connect 4 while opponents are playing chess. Nagy has no idea how to set up a play for future use. Show the same run that you have used 4-5 times, then bam, play-action deep crosser with the LBs biting on the run for a long gain. 

What is mind-boggling is he is actually a decent Head Coach, but might be the worst play-caller in the league. Only the Jets have scored less pts thru 3 weeks than the Bears. So 31st in points, 31st in First Downs, and dead last in yards.

16 hours ago, adam said:

This is the whole chess vs checkers theory, but Nagy is playing Connect 4 while opponents are playing chess. Nagy has no idea how to set up a play for future use. Show the same run that you have used 4-5 times, then bam, play-action deep crosser with the LBs biting on the run for a long gain. 

What is mind-boggling is he is actually a decent Head Coach, but might be the worst play-caller in the league. Only the Jets have scored less pts thru 3 weeks than the Bears. So 31st in points, 31st in First Downs, and dead last in yards.

Did you ever think John Fox's 17pts per game would look so good?