Week 5 Official Game Thread - CHI @ LVR , +6.5, O/U 45, SUN 10/10, 3:05PM CT - CBS

adam

Bears are currently 6.5 dogs in Las Vegas. The line seems about right unless you watched MNF. The Raiders looked terrible with only 213 yards on offense, most coming on 2x TD drives (159 yds) in the 3rd quarter. For the other 3 quarters, nothing. They looked like the Bears playing the Browns. Their first 7 drives (the entire first half) consisted of the following:

3 and out, punt
3 and out, punt
3 and out, punt
4 and out, turnover on downs
6 plays, punt
3 and out, punt
2 plays, end of half
26 total yards in the first half, down 21-0

On their only first down in the first half, a 21 yard gain to Waller, Waller got a 15-yard penalty for taunting lol. 

They turned it around in the 3rd quarter with 2x TD drives, but ended the game with a missed FG, Interception, and 4 and out.

So out of 12 drives, they only scored on 2, then had 3 turnovers, 5 punts, 1 missed FG, and 1 end of half. 

The bad news is they are the #1 passing team in the league. Ruggs, Waller, Renfrow, and Edwards all have over 200 yards receiving. The good news is the Chargers play the same style defense as the Bears. 

On the other side of the ball, they were absolutely gashed by Ekeler on the ground. He had 117 yards on only 15 carries. So even if we have Williams/Herbert, I think we will be ok. Justin Herbert was not sacked or intercepted and had 8 different receivers catch a pass. 

I really like this matchup for the Bears with the Raiders on a short week. 

If Fields starts, Bears 27-17
If Dalton starts, Raiders 24-17

43 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Raiders are overrated.  This a winnable game with either QB.

I agree. Saw the same things Adam pointed out.  Honestly surprised they were 3-0.  Must’ve been like when the Bears were 5-0 last year?  Anyhow, should be winnable. I give LV the edge only because it’s in Vegas and the “Black Hole” is usually well represented.  

16 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I agree. Saw the same things Adam pointed out.  Honestly surprised they were 3-0.  Must’ve been like when the Bears were 5-0 last year?  Anyhow, should be winnable. I give LV the edge only because it’s in Vegas and the “Black Hole” is usually well represented.  

There are two players on the entire team you have to account for, Waller and Crosby. If the Bears concentrate on them, they win.

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

Who’s gonna stick Waller?

I’d buy that line to a TD 

Roquan maybe but after watching the Chargers D against them I think the key is just get to the QB.  We have a better pass rush than what the Chargers brought against Carr and yet they were able to get him off balance and missing some throws.  Then it's just stop the run on the way to the QB.   

I am sure some other teams have had the same thing happen to them, but the Bears had sacks taken off the board due to penalties too.

Also, Attaochu doesn't have a sack yet, and Edwards in only 2 games has 1.5. It will be nice when Hicks and Goldman get to line up next to each other for an entire game. We have yet to see that since 2019. 

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Who’s gonna stick Waller?

I’d buy that line to a TD 

There is no way you single him. Put a LB underneath and a Safety over the top. Blanket him the entire game. Looking at Carr's progressions, Waller is almost always his first or second read. You take that away and he has to go to one of the other WRs, who outside of Renfrow, seem to become a little skittish after taking that first hard hit.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/08/damon-arnette-trayvon-mullen-wont-play-sunday/

The Raiders have 2 of their top 3 CBs out. They are starting Nate Hobbs across from Hayward with one of Amik Robertson or Keisean Nixon in the slot.

What a huge break for the Bears. Zero excuses to lose this game. 

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Maybe they’re swapping out between plays? ?. Oakland has been helping a lot with all the penalties.  The one play with three TEs in (Horstead, Graham and Kmet) was too creative and sensible to be called by Nagy.  

Yeah 3 TE's, committing more blockers to help protect Fields.  After that first TD drive where the helped out with dumb penalties it felt like the offense picked it up and looked better since then.  It always makes me cringe when they show Nagy with a play sheet over his face.  He just can't help himself but keep his hand in the cookie jar.  

On a side note it sure seems like the Raiders play dirty.

Huge road win for the Bears, first game without Monty and both Williams (16-64 yds) and especially Herbert (18-75 yds) played really well. I like the cutbacks, Herbert has amazing vision. 

The Fields injury was scary, hopefully it's nothing he will have to deal with next week. They went very conservative after the injury. 

Horsted with a great TD catch and Graham may have had the block of the game, or push, helping Herbert get 3 more yards against a DLineman. 

The defensive effort was impressive. This was a borderline dominant performance, on the road without Hicks. The Raiders had the #1 Passing Offense coming in and were limited to 206 passing yards and the Bears also had 3 sacks. Mack was only credited with 1 sack, but I swear he had 3 lol. Gipson had another and it was nice to see Danny T back in there. DHC with a huge INT and it felt like Roquan was killing people out there. He is an absolute beast and you could tell receivers were worried about going over the middle. Waller was only 4-45 on 8 targets and one of those was the blown coverage for 29 yards. So when covered he was 3-16, which is crazy. On the flip side, can they just bench Jackson for the year. He is the worst player on the defense and it is not even close anymore. I would rather have anyone else out there but him. He just takes up a spot on the field, he contributes nothing. Almost all the blown coverages him, missed tackles, yep, offsides penalties in a critical situation, check. That dude needs to go. Do something with him,  just don't play him anymore. 

Cairo Santos continues his longest active streak the same day as a record number of kickers miss kicks. Mason Crosby missed 4 (3 straight). Grant looked good on the returns and averaged 19 yards on punts and 23 on kickoffs. If not for a crazy bounce on one he would've had more. I was happy with his performance.

Bears 3-2 going back home to face GB who barely beat Cincinnati. They are beatable, but we will need a better game from Fields and have Johnson shut down Adams who seems like the only threat yet they don't cover him.

Good summary Adam.  At this point, it's only Detroit and the Raiders.  I don't think much of either team.  But, the team looks different with Lazor calling plays.  I can actually see that it has given the defense confidence.  Lazor wins the time of possession battle and gives our D a rest.  He also schemes an offense that allows our OL to succeed.  They weren't perfect today, but the effort and physicality was really good.  Especially with the middle three.  I'll take the ugly wins everyday!