Bad Spot

adam

So in the 3rd Quarter, on the Raiders only TD drive, Carr gets hurt, then Peterman comes in for a few plays. On a 4th and inches play, the Raiders get a great spot without there being any possible way the side judges can see where the ball is to spot the ball.

Here is the play in 4 pics:

PIC 1 - Ball is spotted just short of a football's length from the first down marker. 

LOS1.png

PIC 2 - Last good view of where Peterman is holding the ball. He never extends the ball and if anything tucks it lower than it is in the picture. From the side angle, this is the last time any official can physically see the ball.  Red line is line to gain.

LOS2.png

Pic 3 - Side angle of replay, shows same line to gain in red, and the farthest possible point of the ball (in yellow) before Peterman gets blasted back by Roquan Smith. At best he gained an inch, but ultimately only gets back to the LOS. One thing to note is where his helmet is at, it crossed the line to gain which comes into play in the next pic.

LOS3.png

Pic 4 - The spot was literally where Peterman's helmet was, not the ball.  This could've been a game-changing play.

LOS4.jpg

Games should not be decided by a visual guess and a chain. Luckily this one didn't bite us. Nagy challenged, but there was no evidence to overturn it, but there was also no evidence that the ball got that far.  What is crazy is at best it was a half football from the line, yet is an entire football over the line. An average NFL football is about 11 inches, so they were almost a foot and a half off on the spot. I can see if they were off a half a football, but giving them an extra football without being able to actually see the ball is ridiculous.

I agreed with your assessment during the game.  He never made it but I have to say I like the fact the league has moved away from overturning anything and everything and is leaning toward letting the call on the field stand unless it's totally conclusive.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I agreed with your assessment during the game.  He never made it but I have to say I like the fact the league has moved away from overturning anything and everything and is leaning toward letting the call on the field stand unless it's totally conclusive.  

Agree, I thought it was a bad spot as well, but it’s one of those calls where whatever was called on the field would likely stand. If they spotted it short and LV challenged it they most likely lose that challenge.  

in general I felt the game was mostly called fair. It was nice to finally see some flags thrown for late hits on Fields.  Though the helmet to the ribs I thought should have been called targeting as the defender lead with the helmet.

I don't mind not turning over the calls, except when the call on the field is wrong. The side judges ran in and marked the spot with their feet, but you can see they are running to where his helmet was, not the ball, which neither can see from their perspective. Like I said, off by a football length, ok got it, but this was beyond that.