Free Agent WRs 2022

adam

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to come back around on this since it is huge need. D.J. Chark  is a good target but Jacksonville has 60 mil in cap so if they want him back, they can outbid  us. Hopefully they want to upgrade and go after one of the top 3.

Gallup was another name mentioned but with the potential of Cooper being cut they may decide to try to keep Gallup .

Another good name is mentioned, Mike Williams. OTC says his value will be 15 mil a year. I think that will be to rich for our cap situation, plus why would Chargers let him get away , they are in good cap space. 

Chirstian Kirk seems like a reasonable get. AZ has cap problems and he will be in a 6-8 mil range. 

I think Poles may wait and draft a couple WRs with high picks since one of the drafts strengths is WR.

A few second wave names to consider: Bryon Pringle, Valdes-Scantling, Zay Jones.

57 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm going to come back around on this since it is huge need. D.J. Chark  is a good target but Jacksonville has 60 mil in cap so if they want him back, they can outbid  us. Hopefully they want to upgrade and go after one of the top 3.

Gallup was another name mentioned but with the potential of Cooper being cut they may decide to try to keep Gallup .

Another good name is mentioned, Mike Williams. OTC says his value will be 15 mil a year. I think that will be to rich for our cap situation, plus why would Chargers let him get away , they are in good cap space. 

Chirstian Kirk seems like a reasonable get. AZ has cap problems and he will be in a 6-8 mil range. 

I think Poles may wait and draft a couple WRs with high picks since one of the drafts strengths is WR.

A few second wave names to consider: Bryon Pringle, Valdes-Scantling, Zay Jones.

Would love to see D Adam's, no chance. 

DJ Chark, intrigued but it looks like he is not going anywhere. 

My number 3 is:  Will Fuller - brings a deep threat that Fields would fall in love with if he can stay healthy. My Notre Dame bias doesn't help.

Given what Poles talked about in his presser about his draft and FA philosophy.  He wants to be smart with our FA acquisitions and will evaluate the various waves or tiers at each position and look for value vs having to waste money and draft capitol to acquire guys to make up for poor drafting.  I  don't see him making big FA splashes often.  So with our cap situation I see Robinson walking (doubt he'd come back even if we had the money and wanted him). I don't see Adams coming here.   I like Godwin and Williams but they may be too pricey.  I don't want the head cases like Brown or OBJ.  I could see us going after guys like Schuster, Kirk, Chark, Crowder, Pascal, Zay Jones, Pringle, Gage, MVS (though he has trouble with drops at times), Watkins, etc.  We could possibly shop some guys and see if we could get a good WR back.

Draft wise he talked about maximizing draft value so I don't see him handing out draft capitol like candy like Pace did.  So while I like the idea of Olave we'd have to move into the first round to get him.  I don't see him dealing capitol to do that but if we could work some trades to add the draft capitol needed to acquire a first rounder high enough to get him.  That's the only way I see it happening as I don't see him falling into the 2nd let alone where we pick.  I haven't don't much research into the WR draft class outside of the names everyone knows.  

I like that Poles wants to be smart with FA signings, maximize draft capitol.  I feel like Pace so often made reactionary moves whether it was in the draft or FA, to fix poor drafting or other bad moves.  He was always borrowing from the future to attempt to fix the present, and it always catches up to you.  

Whoever we go after I'd like to see us go for consistency rather than flash or big name.  Fields is going to need receivers he can trust to run good routes and be where he expects them to be.  Speed and ability to get separation are important qualities to take advantage of his deep ball skills. 

6 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Draft wise he talked about maximizing draft value so I don't see him handing out draft capitol like candy like Pace did.  So while I like the idea of Olave we'd have to move into the first round to get him.  I don't see him dealing capitol to do that but if we could work some trades to add the draft capitol needed to acquire a first rounder high enough to get him.  That's the only way I see it happening as I don't see him falling into the 2nd let alone where we pick.  I haven't don't much research into the WR draft class outside of the names everyone knows. 

Whoever we go after I'd like to see us go for consistency rather than flash or big name.  Fields is going to need receivers he can trust to run good routes and be where he expects them to be.  Speed and ability to get separation are important qualities to take advantage of his deep ball skills.

With regards to WR and the draft, we are familiar with names Olave, Wilson and Williams partly due to their being in the 'top 5' WRs for the next draft and the other being their familiarity with Fields. Which I'm personally a fan of. But really if you find a diamond in the rough like Mooney was, what's to say you can't find a lower tier WR (through the draft) that could work with Fields and eventually become his 'go to' guy?  

And personally, aside from cost, I'm not totally sold that ARob needs to go.  I agree he looked like he could care less about playing for Chicago but we recently learned he was more disenfranchised with the previous coach than he was with the actual Franchise itself.  Perhaps due to his low productivity rate last year he won't be as much a 'hot' commodity and more likely to agree to a team friendly deal?  He produced two 1,000 seasons (with Trubisky) before the wheels came off the wagon last year.  

On 11/13/2021 at 4:04 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I personally like the big body receivers so count me in on Sutton or Chalk.  The commentary you made on Chalk is eerily similar to ARob when he too came from Jax.  (Coming off an injury and needing a competent QB).  

I’m still of the opinion the Bears should try and draft Chris Olave or juniors (should they opt for the draft) Garrett Wilson or Marvin Harrison Jr (yes he’s related) since they have some chemistry with Fields.  Seems to be working pretty well for Burrow and Chase in Cincy.  

Ideally Bears get one of those wideouts plus an olave. I am tired of hoping some crappy person jumps out and want to get more talent. I kind of like idea of Kirk/Shark/Sutton plus draft pick. Schuster and Beckham interest me at right price too. 

Sutton signed a new contract, he's not coming. Poles stated 2and 3 Rd wave players. That means the top name include AROB won't be here. Chark and Kirk are probably the best of those options, but if their are bidding wars for their service, I doubt we compete. So I think WRs like Pringle, Zay Jones, Valdez-Scanling may be our choices. 

Mooney

Newsome

Grant ( gadet plays).

2 drafted WRs

Valdez-Scandling 

This may be our group.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:52 PM, Stinger226 said:

Sutton signed a new contract, he's not coming. Poles stated 2and 3 Rd wave players. That means the top name include AROB won't be here. Chark and Kirk are probably the best of those options, but if their are bidding wars for their service, I doubt we compete. So I think WRs like Pringle, Zay Jones, Valdez-Scanling may be our choices. 

Mooney

Newsome

Grant ( gadet plays).

2 drafted WRs

Valdez-Scandling 

This may be our group.

Some other guys:

Russell Gage - ATL, 66-770, 4 TD
Jamison Crowder - NYJ, 51-447, 2 TD
Kalif Raymond - DET, 48-576, 4 TD - Also a PR
Braxton Berrios - NYJ, 46-431, 2 TD - Also a KR/PR
Cedric Wilson - DAL, 45-602, 6 TD
Byron Pringle - KC, 42-568, 5 TD - Also a KR
Adam Humphries - WAS , 41-383
Zach Pascal - IND, 38-384, 3 TD

Every guy on this list had as many receptions as ARob in 2021. I wouldn't mind 2x of these guys, one of the true slot WRs and another outside guy to go with Mooney. Replace Byrd and Goodwin, then draft ARobs replacement.

In the mock draft sims I keep doing there is always a good value WR available at 37 and 71. 

48 minutes ago, McGowan said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they went after Demarcus Robinson from KC. 

There are a few guys they could bring on for near vet minimum deals. He is one of them. Him and Byrd were signed for the same amount last year.

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

There is a 7 part series on Field's at dabearsblog.com

Lots of starts from PFF and NEXT GEN

Maybe read that while looking for receivers that work in the area he likes

Yeah, it is a great read. Most we already knew or felt, but here are some nuggets:

- Accuracy was bad regardless of whether he was under pressure or not. Partially on him and partially on lack of reps, and partially on lack of protection.

- Great 10 yards and beyond, terrible inside 9 yards. So great at the hard things, terrible at the easy things. Hopefully coaching and being in sync with receivers will help this.

- Play Action - deepest target depth and best big-time throw % and 3rd lowest % of turnover worthy plays. Better with play-action than without it.

- Pressure from Center was 32nd, Mustipher has to be replaced. 

- Time to throw correlates with the deeper throws, if he throws shorter passes, he won't get sacked as much.

Just with getting better protection, in sync with receivers, and a better game plan will make Fields perform how we expected him to.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And personally, aside from cost, I'm not totally sold that ARob needs to go.  I agree he looked like he could care less about playing for Chicago but we recently learned he was more disenfranchised with the previous coach than he was with the actual Franchise itself.  Perhaps due to his low productivity rate last year he won't be as much a 'hot' commodity and more likely to agree to a team friendly deal?  He produced two 1,000 seasons (with Trubisky) before the wheels came off the wagon last year.  

If you don’t read the responses the numbers indicate the times he was targeted over the last three years. 

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If you don’t read the responses the numbers indicate the times he was targeted over the last three years. 

Yeah I posted some quick math:

The team had 72 fewer passing attempts compared to 2020 (-11.7%). ARob also missed 5 games (-29.4%) and was at least limited in one (-5.8%) and didn't seem to care in the last two (-11.6%). Just with those deductions from last year's targets (151) he should've had 71 and had 66.

It wasn't perfect, but I was just proving a point that it looks deceiving but his targets were down because 1. The Bears threw less, 2. he missed 5 games, was limited in 1, and didn't care in the last two. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

It wasn't perfect, but I was just proving a point that it looks deceiving but his targets were down because 1. The Bears threw less, 2. he missed 5 games, was limited in 1, and didn't care in the last two

From listening to reports (after the fact), Nagy wasn't communicating too much or very well with the players for whatever reason.  Whether it was Trubisky and his prepared notes or cutting off communication with Robinson after the end of the 2020 season, its clear Robinson's lack of production last year wasn't squarely on ARob.  Whatever the case may be I suspect ARob will be moving on and flourish with whomever his next team ends up being.

14 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

From listening to reports (after the fact), Nagy wasn't communicating too much or very well with the players for whatever reason.  Whether it was Trubisky and his prepared notes or cutting off communication with Robinson after the end of the 2020 season, its clear Robinson's lack of production last year wasn't squarely on ARob.  Whatever the case may be I suspect ARob will be moving on and flourish with whomever his next team ends up being.

I don't know about flourish, but he will definitely be better than he was last year. I think he is no longer a fringe WR1. Probably a good WR2, but will need a big dog to take some of the coverage away from him. He can't separate and struggled with contested catches last year, which was really his only game. 

23 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah I posted some quick math:

It wasn't perfect, but I was just proving a point that it looks deceiving but his targets were down because 1. The Bears threw less, 2. he missed 5 games, was limited in 1, and didn't care in the last two. 

I agree with this above.   Plus add in a rookie QB who couldn't decipher defenses, is naturally risk averse, prefers throwing downfield, and you get a recipe for less opportunities for a player who can only gain separation immediately after his cut.  If you don't have the defense read quicky and timing down with ARob then he's always covered.  

I also want to add that this entire argument for why ARob played so poorly feels like the typical BS spouted an agent to improve his market value.   Coaching issues or not, ARob was playing for a new contract.  That alone is enough motivation for him to perform well when given the chance... and he was given plenty of opportunities to be on the field.  Further, putting the coach aside, when a professional is on the field with his teammates he's playing for them.  If those two factors weren't enough for ARob to play well last year then I don't want him around this year.   

I guarantee Nagy was never at practice telling ARob... "hey, don't stay after to run routes and help Fields improve.  Get home and relax you've earned it."    Nah, ARob just walked off the field day after day knowing Fields and Mooney were working to build chemistry.  Then it appears the lack of targets from Fields hurt ARob's ego so much he didn't even want to block for him when Fields was scrambling.  

I advocated heavily for ARob as a FA years ago and don't regret that we signed him.  He's not what we need to help right the ship this year.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a chance we can get a #1 WR picking in the draft. Kupp was a third round pick. T Hill was  5th rounder. Adam Thielen was a UDFA. Stefon Diggs 5th,  D Adams 2nd , Tyler Lockett 3rd,  Chris Godwin 3rd  , Terry McLaurin 3rd . . 

We add a couple of FAs. maybe Valdes-Scantling, a big WR with some speed 4.37 or Byron Pringle, 4.46. Kalif Raymond 4.34.  , Chris Conley 4.35.

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

There is a chance we can get a #1 WR picking in the draft. Kupp was a third round pick. T Hill was  5th rounder. Adam Thielen was a UDFA. Stefon Diggs 5th,  D Adams 2nd , Tyler Lockett 3rd,  Chris Godwin 3rd  , Terry McLaurin 3rd . . 

We add a couple of FAs. maybe Valdes-Scantling, a big WR with some speed 4.37 or Byron Pringle, 4.46. Kalif Raymond 4.34.  , Chris Conley 4.35.

After today's combine stats we will have no problem finding a fast WR if we want one early.  It'll be interesting to see how this shakes up rankings but just based on their 40 times many WR are moving up.  Players like Skyy Moore, Pierce, Watson all helped themselves today.  Skyy was even getting some chatter about performing in drills like you'd expect of a 1st Rd pick.  The last time I remember Steve Smith saying that about a WR was for a guy named Kupp.  I don't think Skyy will rise that far but 2nd rd seems like a real possibility now.   

On the flipside, I like our new GMs approach where he has the draft board set before the combine and only small adjustments are made afterward within their bracket.   Don't get too crazy on measurables in shorts.  It has to show up on the field.   

I read an article today throwing another FA WR name out there. Isaiah Mackenzie. He,has 4.42 speed , a quick twitch at 26. He filled in for Cole Beasley when he missed time. He would mainly be a slot WR, kind of a Tarik Cohen clone. Would come at a couple mil a Year. 

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think Skyy will rise that far but 2nd rd seems like a real possibility now.   

On the flipside, I like our new GMs approach where he has the draft board set before the combine and only small adjustments are made afterward within their bracket.   Don't get too crazy on measurables in shorts.  It has to show up on the field.   

Skyy wasn't the twichiest guy out there, but he was the most fluid.  The way he runs looks effortless.  Combine that with the excellent acceleration he showed should make him a deceiving route runner.  I want see some footage of him against press coverage.  If he's adept at beating that, he'll be a good one.

Totally love every single thing Poles has had to say since he's been hired.  

I am kinda intrigued by a guy like Cedric Wilson (DAL) as a cheap option with some upside. He was behind Cooper and Lamb whom both saw over 100 targets. With 61 targets, Wilson had 45 receptions for 602 yds and 6 TDs. The same amount of TDs as Lamb, a better Y/R than Cooper, the highest Yds/T and the highest catch% amongst the trio.