WTF Officials!

adam

So this comes out:

The phantom low block (that missed) on the Graham TD, the Fields Roughing that Passer (that extends the drive), and the lining up in the neutral zone on the missed FG. 2 out of 3 scoring plays and a scoring drive, all negatively impacted by officials against one team. That doesn't even include the hip check and BS taunting call that led to a PIT score.  Unbelievable.

That game was stolen.  Officials have become partial to their favorites.  Cutler was on Waddle and Silvey Friday afternoon and they asked him about the refs.  He went on to talk about different crews and knowing when they were going to either get a fair game or get screwed.  He also talked about individual refs that like to have their ass kissed and some that were vindictive if you criticized them during the game.

Great story by Simms on PFT and his interaction with Corrente the ref.   Yelled at him about a roughing the passer non call with a four letter word included.  Normally the refs let the 
QB know when he is going to start the clock after a stoping it.  Did not for a long time so Simms asked him why.  Corrente said are you going to apologize.  

I do believe that some refs are petty tyrants. I do believe that some refs seek ego satisfaction and even revenge against certain players for personal reasons.

I do not believe the refs try to throw a game for one team or another, or that the league is involved in anything like that.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meanwhile Washington took TB to town earlier after Brady threw two INTs in the first quarter.  

And 4-5 Carolina is taking it to 8-1 AZ 31-3.  

Having lost to Pittsburgh the way they did hurts that much more.  I agree that the Bears are on the upswing and could conceivably still be in the running for a playoff spot.  

14 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And 4-5 Carolina is taking it to 8-1 AZ 31-3.  

Having lost to Pittsburgh the way they did hurts that much more.  I agree that the Bears are on the upswing and could conceivably still be in the running for a playoff spot.  

So our schedule seems a little easier, BAL just lost, then DET, then ARZ who just lost, GB, MIN, SEA who looks terrible, NYG, and MIN again. GB is the toughest one, but they are beatable. Still probably a 6-7 win team, but none of those games are guaranteed losses.

10 hours ago, adam said:

So our schedule seems a little easier, BAL just lost, then DET, then ARZ who just lost, GB, MIN, SEA who looks terrible, NYG, and MIN again. GB is the toughest one, but they are beatable. Still probably a 6-7 win team, but none of those games are guaranteed losses.

Mark Potash shares yours and my (guarded) optimism:  

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meanwhile 3-5 San Fran is beating up on the much ballyhooed (currently 7-2) LA Rams 31-7 as I type this.  Despite LAR having Ramsey, Donald and Miller on D and OBJ and Stafford on Offense. 

The Detroit Stafford reared his ugly head again. Woods was a lot more important to the offense than people thought. OBJ is not going to replace him. They have a decent running game, but McVay doesn't like running the ball. In the 3rd quarter, the Rams had 3 straight 3 and outs and 14 yards of total offense, it was hilarious. They bookended those drives with a turnover on downs in the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter. Those 5 drives yielded 0 points. Then down 31-7 with 3:52 left at the SF 19, they kick a FG! LMAO! You can't make this stuff up. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

The Detroit Stafford reared his ugly head again. Woods was a lot more important to the offense than people thought. OBJ is not going to replace him. They have a decent running game, but McVay doesn't like running the ball. In the 3rd quarter, the Rams had 3 straight 3 and outs and 14 yards of total offense, it was hilarious. They bookended those drives with a turnover on downs in the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter. Those 5 drives yielded 0 points. Then down 31-7 with 3:52 left at the SF 19, they kick a FG! LMAO! You can't make this stuff up. 

While watching last night the one thing that I kept thinking about was how both Nagy and Shanahan were roasted some weeks ago for the respective failures as coaches.  Nagy I get however after last night its apparent that Shanahan still has what it takes as an NFL HC (if only for one night).  He was able to adapt his team to go against one of the better defenses in the league by simply running the ball. From what I recall they said he ran the ball 40 times(?) overall and included their best receiver, Deebo Samuel, in those stats (accounting for one rushing TD himself).  

What Shanahan did last night was evidence of the ability to adapt either in mid-game or season to make your team better and play to your players' strengths.  Maybe they'll make a run, maybe they won't. But SF isn't quite out of the playoff hunt even at 4-5.  

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

While watching last night the one thing that I kept thinking about was how both Nagy and Shanahan were roasted some weeks ago for the respective failures as coaches.  Nagy I get however after last night its apparent that Shanahan still has what it takes as an NFL HC (if only for one night).  He was able to adapt his team to go against one of the better defenses in the league by simply running the ball. From what I recall they said he ran the ball 40 times(?) overall and included their best receiver, Deebo Samuel, in those stats (accounting for one rushing TD himself).  

What Shanahan did last night was evidence of the ability to adapt either in mid-game or season to make your team better and play to your players' strengths.  Maybe they'll make a run, maybe they won't. But SF isn't quite out of the playoff hunt even at 4-5.  

It helps when your defense gets a Pick-6 and holds the other team to 10 pts with a 4-0 turnover ratio. Most offenses look great when their defense plays that well. They just chewed the clock with 40+ rushes, then when they stacked the box, they threw some quick slants. 

I am still not sold on Shanahan. I don't know why he gets the benefit of the doubt for 1 winning season in his last 5 and a 33-40 record. If SF goes 7-1 to finish the regular season, he still would have a losing record. Is he better than Nagy, sure, but is he going to take SF to another Super Bowl, highly unlikely, especially in that division. They have to get thru ARZ, LAR, and SEA every year.  Outside of LAR, they beat CHI, DET, and PHI lol. I am sure they will finish around 8-9 or 9-8. They gave up all that draft capital for Trey Lance, but we don't seem to be any closer knowing whether he is legit or not. 

This is what Jimmy G did:

FESkWpeX0AAlpeo?format=jpg&name=900x900