Potential Future HoF QBs (still active)

adam

What are your thoughts on the next crop of HoF QBs? Is the bar going to get tougher with the inflated stats?

The top 5 active QBs in passing yards are Brady, Big Ben, Ryan, Rodgers, and Stafford. Obviously, Brady's HoF status is cemented, but it is interesting to see where the other guys fall in.

• Big Ben is 2nd in active passing yards (62K), is 2-1 in SB's but in those two games, his WR's got the MVPs (Ward and Holmes).  He hasn't appeared in a SB in 11 years. He has the numbers and post-season wins to get a jacket but its been a long time since he was "elite". Not many QBs have 60K passing yards and 2 SB wins though (Brady, Manning, Big Ben).
  • Matt Ryan is 3rd in yards (58K) and is 0-1 in SBs after the infamous 28-3 debacle against NE. To me has been a nice stats compiler but I don't know if he is HoF worthy, thoughts? I say no.
  • Rodgers is 4th in yards (53K) and is 1-0 in SBs and interestingly enough, in his only SB, his offense scored less than the opponent's and they still won thanks to a Pick-6 from his defense. I thought that was a really interesting fact. So Big Ben could've easily been 3-0 if not for that one play. For stats, Favre has 71K passing yards in a different era, and Rodgers still has 4K less passing yards than Eli Manning who has been out of football several years. If Rodgers doesn't at least get to another SB AND passes Favre, does he get in? #2 in the franchise in passing and only 1 gifted SB win? If you took the names off, Ryan and Rodgers look very similar. So if Ryan wins that one, he is in. That is ultimately the difference. Rodgers gets a lot more love in this department as one of the GOATs. 
  • Stafford is 5th in yards (48K) and has never won a playoff game (0-3). Most of his stats are garbage time or while trailing when the other team is in prevent. I feel like he would need to win more than one SB to be in consideration. He is the Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe of this era. A ton of stats and that's it. 

Thoughts? I assume Big Ben and Rodgers are in, Ryan is not, and Stafford gets in if he wins at least one and ends up top 3 in stats. 

59 minutes ago, adam said:

Thoughts? I assume Big Ben and Rodgers are in, Ryan is not, and Stafford gets in if he wins at least one and ends up top 3 in stats. 

Why wouldn't Russel Wilson be considered?  Granted he's at the low end of yardage (~35,000) but he does have a SB win after only his second year.  Sure it was mostly due to his defense BUT if you're considering someone like Stafford then I'd think Wilson would be part of the conversation.   I'd be curious to see if the list got extended to include the top 10 active Qbs with yardage how it would stack up.  

If you're considering recently retired then Eli and Brees become part of the discussion too.  

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Why wouldn't Russel Wilson be considered?  Granted he's at the low end of yardage (~35,000) but he does have a SB win after only his second year.  Sure it was mostly due to his defense BUT if you're considering someone like Stafford then I'd think Wilson would be part of the conversation.   I'd be curious to see if the list got extended to include the top 10 active Qbs with yardage how it would stack up.  

If you're considering recently retired then Eli and Brees become part of the discussion too.  

I just did top 5 in Active Passing Yards, he is 7th. Flacco is 6th (lol), Fitzpatrick 8th and our own Andy Dalton 9th, and Cam Newton 10th.  It goes quickly to mediocre.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I just did top 5 in Active Passing Yards, he is 7th. Flacco is 6th (lol), Fitzpatrick 8th and our own Andy Dalton 9th, and Cam Newton 10th.  It goes quickly to mediocre.

Ha.  Considering Flacco has won and been the MVP of a SB, Dalton has been to four playoff games and Cam has won a SB it would seem they were able to do more with less (using total yards as the measure) than has Stafford.  

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ha.  Considering Flacco has won and been the MVP of a SB, Dalton has been to four playoff games and Cam has won a SB it would seem they were able to do more with less (using total yards as the measure) than has Stafford.  

Yeah, that's the thing. Stafford has won anything and has gained more than half his stats from garbage time and most of his stats while trailing (throwing more often). 

Fun Facts:

Flacco has never had a losing season when he played at least 12 of his team's games. 

Newton has only 1x 4000 Yard Passing season, his rookie year.

In 55 less starts, Dalton has more 4th Quarter Comebacks (23) and the same number of Game-Winning Drives as Aaron Rodgers.

Fitzpatrick has only 1x winning season in his career when he started more than 10 games (lol), 10-6 with the Jets in 2015.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:27 AM, adam said:

• Matt Ryan is 3rd in yards (58K) and is 0-1 in SBs after the infamous 28-3 debacle against NE. To me has been a nice stats compiler but I don't know if he is HoF worthy, thoughts? I say no.

After last night…not so sure now.  At least our QB depth doesn’t look like this.  ???

C93ED862-936E-45D7-A769-EB34C9D18F04.jpeg

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

After last night…not so sure now.  At least our QB depth doesn’t look like this.  ???

C93ED862-936E-45D7-A769-EB34C9D18F04.jpeg

and to think, he was throwing to Julio Jones for a big chunk of his career. Rodgers has had Adams, and Stafford had Megatron.